Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

You're on a small part of the experience wearing a VR Headset... it's not being marketed as a ride.  People need to understand this.  It's a 13 minute experience (scare maze, mirror maze, musion projection, immersion tunnel transit system, VR... whatever) - it's a multi part experience, for which the VR moment will be a small part of.  As I've said - think of it as a mini dungeon or shrek's adventure... 

They wouldn't build a 25,000 SqFt building to have 16 people sit in a vehicle and wear VR goggles... there's obviously much more to it than that.  

Air didn't need a VR upgrade, they have just ruined a coaster by doing that, you ride a rollercoaster to ride a rollercoaster, not stare at a phone screen.

Going off topic here - can you tell me how they have ruined a coaster by adding an optional VR headset?

Also what kind of market research have you performed to back up your claims that this will not be well received? 

The company that Merlin use to register IP's registered "Ghost Train" and "Derail Your Mind" back in September, seems like Merlin didn't want to register them  :ph34r:

In addition to the one pointed out early they've also registered 

http://www.derrenbrownghosttrain.com

http://www.derrenbrownghosttrain.co.uk

http://www.derrenbrownsghosttrain.com

http://www.derrenbrownsghosttrain.co.uk

I imagine it was just someone accidently breaking the embargo and fixing it now, not really much of a plot!

From the little this reveals it raises a couple of concerns... huge staffing costs? A disjointed experience? Less new than concept than they've suggested (shock!)? Not to be negative, even with this we still know far too little know what it will be like at all, and the variations in experience sound ... intriguing.

Time for a trailer breakdown:

0:01 : Train station looks cool but why is it here? We are at Thorpe park. 

0:03 : Inside the same building I assume. Is this the station or something else.?

0:05 : Creepy laugh - Possibly the dolls.

0:06 : Silly sounding tube announcement sounds more like a train announcer, they need to get the actual tube announcer.

0:08 : Corridor, My bet is that this is the VR section. This is looking good so far can't wait for fright night 2016.

0:12 : Light bulb,  Flickering throughout the queue.

0:13 : Random chair, excluding someone from the group would be fun but I assume it's just some sort of scare effect.

0:16 : Well I guess TFL didn't allow the use of a tube train.

0:20 : Who are these people, how did they get here, why are they crying? Daym this is going to be a family ghost train.

0:25 : Launch section? Or just more screens

0:26 : Interesting science section. Experiment 10 anyone?

0:28 : Film and CGI , Who's studio is this.

0:32 : That actor looks cool but an old granddad isn't going to scare me.

0:33: GrandDad CGI

0:37: Random laughing skull.

0:39: Miserable looking person. Is that JordanLuke?

0:43: Derren brakes the tram.

0:48: Derren Brown's ghost train. Well that's original. 

Clues done. GL all

I have had no faith in Merlin being able to pull off a dark ride since first hearing about it. I have also disliked thorpes marketing team for years. Now they have come together to produce that disappointment of a trailer. One which tells the viewer nothing and while it is meant to intrigue it comes across as boring and will be easily forgotten.

I am sure the fan boys will think the trailer is the best thing ever however in my opinion it is dull and boring. The ride may be impressive and great but there is no point if no one knows.

That wasn't the trailer. There was behind the scenes footage from the trailer of green screens and actors in motion-capture suits,.

I think it's going to be a fun experience, but the website that leaked the details stated that its going to have an age restriction. Pretty sure that Thorpe decided they were a family friendly destination not too long ago?

The point of this ride is to go on without knowing what to expect though! If they show it all off in videos then it ruins the whole idea that Derren wanted of people going in without being told what to expect. I for one am looking forward to this ride and have been for a while regardless of whatever marketing there has been.

Sidenote, no mention of VR explicitly anywhere on the site so I think that's probably not true though unless they are hiding it.

I think the use of the behind the scenes stuff in that trailer was to show how much effort and different types of work have gone into the ride. Plus they need to show something without actually showing us what happens on the ride so it's the perfect fit.

Also I solved the final clue :D All 7 are done :)

Well saw and nemesis sub terra have an age restriction...

Those videos are meant to get the hype train rolling, I sure hope there is another one as I don't think it will get the hype they want.

I'm not saying it should give away what it is but it should make the person who knows nothing about it be interested and want to find out and I don't feel it does that.if you don't like derren Brown then it has very little appeal.

I have had no faith in Merlin being able to pull off a dark ride since first hearing about it. I have also disliked thorpes marketing team for years. Now they have come together to produce that disappointment of a trailer. One which tells the viewer nothing and while it is meant to intrigue it comes across as boring and will be easily forgotten.

I am sure the fan boys will think the trailer is the best thing ever however in my opinion it is dull and boring. The ride may be impressive and great but there is no point if no one knows.

Open your mind, Dude. No need for such cynicism!

They don't want to tell the viewer what's going to happen, Derren has made this abundantly clear, I personally think the marketing for this has been spot on. Don't knock it until you've tried it :-)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic