Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Fantastic find! I can certainly see the inspiration for the new ride.

I really want to see how this pans out. It definitely looks and sounds interesting, and different, and agree with Ryan that the video has been well done. 

I'm glad Thorpe are finally getting a Dark ride; how it rides for me doesn't matter at the moment, on the day I visit it, it will be nice to have something that brakes up all the flat rides and coasters! (A point, I think a lot of people have forgotten?)

The buildings theming is unarguably good for what it's meant to be, and to be honest, looks more colourful and vibrant and better themed then anything at blackpool!

Did anyone watch the periscope feed? you can rewatch it at https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lPJqgNEzAnKb.

At 0:37 Andy says - (I think)

....in high vis jackets making sure its ready and rocking for may.

I think that is the opening time they are aiming for peops. To be honest I am quite happy with this. the May opening worked extrememly well for Smiler. There was a lot of buz around park and people definatly came back once the ride was open.

EDIT --- By the way, some of the periscope comments (they all come up) are quite amusing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that they are throwing so much money at a dark ride.

They needed something different, and considering the lack of high budget dark rides in the UK in recent years it's good that they are investing in one.

However, I do have concerns about it. Something broken into sections is likely to require lots of staff - meaning that running costs will probably be high.

Sub Terra pulled in crowds in its first season but then its popularity plummeted and it became a burden to the park - I just hope the same thing doesn't happen here. If a £30/£40 million pound attraction flops then Thorpe will have a major problem.

Hopefully it'll be good enough to sustain popularity over multiple seasons - I'm still in the "not sure if it will be good" category but I don't think that is unjustified considering some of their most recent investments.

I'm not "moaning for the sake of it."

God that clue took me over an hour but I got there. 

Hopefully the VR is used sparingly and is of the augmented reality type. Could be great having say a virtual hobo screaming, then VR switches off and there is a real hobo in the carriage, then lights off and then no hobo etc. And I would expect a much higher throughput than people think. Can see 3 sections minimum with 60 in each. 60 in train, 60 in preshow, 60 in post show.. Give it about 700 per hour if that happens. 

I for one am quite excited for the addition. It'll hopefully be an exciting experience not to mention the largest dark ride we've received since Valhalla too.

For the amount being spent, whilst I doubt it'll be a TOT or POTC, I am hoping it will be a fantastic unique and immersive experience and give us something fresh and new not just in Thorpe and Merlin, but the UK park industry.

Whilst the name leaves something to be desired IMHO, I guess it seems similar to the names of other Derren Brown projects. For example, Apocalypse and Push To The Edge did exactly what they did on the tin, and it seems to be this is going for that ideal too. The simplistic name on another silver lining may help promote the ride easier as well, which if it is a success could hopefully lead to a new generation of dark rides in other uk parks.

The rundown building reminds a bit of a cross between Baron 1898 and some of Universal's buildings in Diagon Alley and whilst it's not really a patch on either, it has to be one of the nicest buildings Merlin have produced yet. 

Got the last clue, just need to be able to wake up early enough now so I can get the very first clue!

Looking forward to riding and see what we've got in store and how well executed this will be. If done right, it'll be the dark ride we've all been waiting for. If not, it'll be a massive flop, I'm holding out hope for a cracking attraction!

I think that a lot of the problem enthusiasts are having with it (partucualy those who have been around longer than most and those who have travelled to other parks out of the UK and are now getting bored with the same approach), is that the entire thing looks 'Merlin'. There was that whole debate a few pages back about Derren's involvemnet with this and the marketing alone, confirms he is just the face-the IP of the project.

In regards to the images and feel of what we know, the teaser video; it screams of un-originality. We've seen it all before. It literally could be Saw. There is nothing new here, right down to how much this is 'going to change everything'.. yada yada.. It looks like a Fright Night teaser video, NOT a world class 'game changer'.

I am very much excited to see how the experience runs and will be with you all in the queue opening weekend, but I swear if I see a Merlin mirror maze like Dungeons/Shrek/Krake Live/Ghost I will want to shoot somebody!

I much prefer the look of whoever deals with Derren's shows, the old Vaudeville style, imagine that as a Ghost Train, they literally have a wealth of inspiration from that subject, but so far it's all been done already and by Merlin themselves!

Before I get shot down, my judgments are on the images and feel of this alone. I hope the interor experience can pull off what they're claiming to be such a game changer, as if it's anything like the video it's going to be the same old Merlin attraction, that will have all of it's actors cut next year due to budgets and us only imagining what would have been with a trackless or Spider-man type ride instead.

One final rant..Get over how good the worn down building looks, they're everywhere in London and again, this is nothing new for Merlin.

I've been analysing the 'next stop' video for nearly one hour now. I've slowed it down, I've brightened it up, I've squinted in the distance, I've tried enhancing it. And nothing. Idek if I'm looking at the right video! This is without a doubt the hardest clue yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's only fair to not give clues away, but you are looking at the right video! :)

I really hate the media. They're calling it a "VR Rollercoaster" when it's not a bloody coaster nor is it a VR experience.

I really wish the media would just take the press releases verbatim and make small adjustments than try and be original and get things wrong, which they seem to do more often than not, you'd think they'd remember Derren interrupting Matt Baker on the BBC to say 'let's get one thing clear now, this is not a rollercoaster so please don't call it one'.

Finally found it!! That was unbelievably hard to find but when you find it it's easy! but it's finally done!! All 7 clues now done but it still says look out for the remaining clues... More clues?

Well Done! Nope, TP confirmed that once the 7th clue is done you will automatically be entered in the competition :)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic