Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Well, firstly I think this is a very interesting concept, and something Thorpe has needed for a very long time.  :)

Having a very long dark ride experience, which is apparently 10-15 minutes long is so exciting in the UK, especially with this £40 million budget.

I don't mind the name? It doesn't roll of the tongue but works for what it is I guess? Not very keen on the warehouse look, I mean with way these disused themes at Thorpe are literally everywhere, it's going to be a more of an industrial estate than a theme park.

I'm not being cynical, I just think in the age of I'm A Celeb, Saw Alive & Sub Terra... Merlin dark rides don't fill me with much faith!

"You know what, I have no faith in this pathetic excuse for a ride whatsoever. I personally don't like Derren because I think he's a "plonker", but I'm going to make an excuse about his "lazy" language in order to avoid conflict and I'm also going to make a irrelevant comment about Fright Nights"

- 3Dimensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually really like Derren Brown, he seems like a really intelligent bloke (and I love his shows) but just sounds a bit too condescending in the video. Listen to the radio interviews, he sounds great - I really feel like I am spoken down to whilst watching the promo (unless Merlin want us to feel like children). 

Now that this has been revealed, I just need say,

I love Derren Brown but this sounds so underwhelming. I hope I'm wrong.

Sheepie!!! Where you been hiding?!

Anyhoo back on topic, the name of the ride doesn't inspire me much (but that said there are worse names for rides).

I really hope the ride is a big success for TP - I won't judge it (well apart from the name!) until I've experienced it in March.

can understand why some people seem a bit 'meh' about the whole concept but we've been in desperate need of a dark ride at Thorpe since Wicked Witches Haunt. And the amount of money it has had put into it I hope it's good

@Benin: Oh yes, I do agree, and completely understand the concerns. I was more thinking about filler attractions that use live action, and they'd be more likely to be cut than live action in a major attraction.

I'm still worried that in a few years time either the live action element will be gone or reduced or something, but hopefully this can be popular enough that Thorpe don't have to consider that.

As for the live actors, if they were planning this ride back in 2012-13, then how were they supposed to know that actor led experiences were to turn out to be a flop? IAC probably hadn't hit the drawing board yet, sub-terra showed much promise, Saw Alive was generally a success in its first two seasons, and fright nights had hit its peak.

If anything I reckon the original plans had a lot more actor roles, but they now have scaled it back.

No they could have altered that whenever they wanted. Merlin are arrogant and as long as this attraction means positive gate figures NOW, they will deal with the rest later. Every Merlin attraction with actors has been closed or had the entertainment side scrapped. In a few seasons, this will be absolutely no different. With any luck the live actors in this will be a little addiction and not vital to the experience.

If you think this attraction will operate with the same staffing levels in even 3 years, you're kidding yourself.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic