Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I was looking through some photos which were taken by Total Thorpe Park, and I decided to brighten up one of the images where the inside of the building is exposed, where the carriage is. From what I see in the brightened image, it appears that there will be a transfer track system where the underground carriage sits outside the building. From this, I can assume that the system will follow a rectangular track system where there will be a transfer track at either end of the building. 

Inside_zps52djtqrd.jpg

Sauce: http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/features/future2016.shtml

Have been confident for a while now that you'll enter the 'suspended carriage', into an internal ride vehicle, which will then be transferred sideways out of the shell of the suspended carriage to go around the ride path and into the immersive tunnels. It would be a pretty impressive illusion to think you've just gone into a small train carriage and then enter a huge ride. Like the TARDIS almost...

I  think the hardest thing about the illusion is making you believe you've gone up to a higher level for the bridges whilst you're still on the ground floor, with the basement giving the illusion you're higher up than you are. Fake lifts? 

Have been confident for a while now that you'll enter the 'suspended carriage', into an internal ride vehicle, which will then be transferred sideways out of the shell of the suspended carriage to go around the ride path and into the immersive tunnels. It would be a pretty impressive illusion to think you've just gone into a small train carriage and then enter a huge ride. Like the TARDIS almost...

I think the hardest thing about the illusion is making you believe you've gone up to a higher level for the bridges whilst you're still on the ground floor, with the basement giving the illusion you're higher up than you are. Fake lifts?

I was thinking, with the hydralics company theyve bought in, you get into the suspended car, and the interal car moves down, on a hydralic lift, you then go around on a track (with the hydralics underneath creating the extra movement, bumps, knocks, general train movement, possibly moving up and down as well, explaining how the height on the VR would link in. Ive got a feeling they will keep people in the preshow area whilst the cars move in and out of position to help hide the illusion, that way all people will see will be the 60 people coming off and the 60 people getting onto the train.

Cos it's a Ghost Train and demons are spoopy is my guess...

Like the dolls, any direct link would appear rather tenuous beyond it being creepy and what not...

Looks like a walkthrough portion there, presumbly part of the VR element... Maybe into a mirror naze...

Not liking the fact it says coming soon :/

Surely they would advertise the opening date!

As for the video, looks like it's probably scripted but a nice little bit of marketing. It also gave us a few inside shots of the building! Hopefully the section shown is a VR portion as its lacking greatly in theming.

To be honest we can't be 100% sure when this was filmed, and so those saying that the inside looks bare need to remember and that it probably won't look like that now! Haha. I'm sure they wouldn't leave it that bare, considering the detail in all the other theming in and around the attraction, but if they do I'm sure it won't be noticeable.

Haha yes my first thoughts after watching were... "Coming Soon"  :wacko: The website still says 6th May though - I'd like to think that Merlin would be pretty quick at removing that otherwise people will be booking up thinking it will be open. Although that said - photos on FB yesterday on Thorpe's page clearly show the "Arriving 6th May" sign.

If it's not open for the 6th, then the 11th would be grand, ta. 

And can I be the first to say there would be some sort of sick irony if the Ghost Train was "delayed".

These British train services, what are you gonna do...

In all seriousness the sign is visible from the start of the video as well, it wouldn't take much to re-film that one scene or post the video without it. On the other hand, The Smiler was also supposedly opening on time until the day before, when it was finally announced it wouldn't be. I hope Merlin wouldn't do this again, however their history with dealing with delayed rides hasn't been the best...

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic