Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

What is going to be strange is that we will be in a group wearing these VR headsets, but effectively seem like we are on our own. If we are sat on a train with other people, you won't be able to interact with them or see them with the VR headset on!

I wonder what the queue will also be like, I'm hoping we are going to be walking through some sort of deserted tube station in modern day , or the warehouse. Does anyone know who worked on the themeing ? , as the company that did saw where incredible, which is what makes the ride stand out in my view. , I'm hoping DBGT is going to top that tho ! The park will finally have its E-ticket attraction !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a shame if so , as looking at all of Disney's queues , and I was thinking this is gunna be up to their standard, the queue continues to tell the story when inside the show building. The queue looks very bare at this point then , sure the posters add a nice touch. But would be really nice to see some detailed themeing while you wait in the dark, which also builds anticipation for the whole ride. But I'm sure the ride will be insane and be worth all that queueing anyway, I have no doubt !

Does anyone know who worked on the themeing ? The company that did SAW where incredible, which is what makes the ride stand out in my view

SAW's theming is incredible?? Adequate I'd say, full of Merlin's usual missed opportunities. I hope this is on a bigger scale and hope there's plenty of actual theming to look at, rather than just a VR headset and a Simworx projection screen.

I mean in terms of inside the station and the dark ride portion of saw , I thought it was great ! , yer defiantly a fan of actual physical theming and envirement a that are around you creating a fully immersive experience rather then everything being done by screens and projections for sure !

Also on another note, I in the pre show / photo op, booth thing in the queue, there are several old style to screens , suggesting that perhaps this could be used as a pre show area or a way to maybe show news reports or tv campaigns to fit in with the story line of people against fracking , just a thought ? It could be used as a way to break up the queue? 6badbbda565bd001bc83d4b8209f9bfa.jpg

The dark ride portion of saw IMO is just dreadful. It was THE thing I was most looking forward too and it is such a missed opportunity... With a black light! I suspect it's another Zufari, that on paper sounded stunning.. Then it was cut, missed managed and sloppy. Saw could have been so theatrical, but Merlin aren't good at theatrics, clearly.

I'm hoping this will prove me wrong.

Don't set your expectations too high. It's better to set them too low and be surprised than too high and be dissapointed.

Most of the budget will have gone on headsets and animation. Animation is very expensive and new tech is also pricey. There seems to be so much going on my current concern is how it's all coming together.

I agree with your latter point. I worry that with the headsets the experience will seem disjointed. For example, you wear the headsets and you are entirely immersed. However, having someone tell you to take them off completely spoils the immersion and it could become very disjointed having many elements.

I'm sure the elements themselves will be great, I just hope the transitions and storyline will deliver.

If it genuinely is just a modern version of a classic ghost train, then it makes me wonder what exactly will be going on and whether those tunnels are just the entrance/exit and the ghost train bit is the train but the 'ride' part is permanently stationery.

By that I meant you enter through the tunnels, go into the train, pop your headset on, do a bit of VR/AR (which could be very good if done right), come out the train, then exit back through the tunnels, thinking it's all over you're nice and relaxed after a bit of a VR/AR scare (as I said, depending how it's done it could be very scary) only to be met by Derren's dog/monkey type monster, giving you one last 'real' fright.

It's quiet hard to put into words exactly what I think it'll be, but for anybody who's been on a proper old school ghost train they'll go in with their expectations a lot lower than someone who hasn't, there doesn't seem to be the room to have a proper moving carriage on a track for the scares, but then again I could be wrong.

SAW's theming is incredible?? Adequate I'd say, full of Merlin's usual missed opportunities. I hope this is on a bigger scale and hope there's plenty of actual theming to look at, rather than just a VR headset and a Simworx projection screen.

Interesting what were you expecting bodies to be cut up left right and centre remember they had to keep it rated 12. I think that the theme / ride experience were bloody good.

Interesting what were you expecting bodies to be cut up left right and centre remember they had to keep it rated 12. I think that the theme / ride experience were bloody good.

Interesting you mention about it being "rated 12".  It's not any sort of rating, it's just a recommendation the park set themselves in case someone young finds anything disturbing.  It'd be interesting if the BBFC, for example, did have to age rate some (screen based) attractions in the UK.  Surely the disturbing / upsetting nature of the film in The Passing could have warranted a 12A rating, or maybe even a 15?  

I know that Hobs Pit has a rating from the BBFC, and from what I heard, they had to change things about since it would have been rated 15 otherwise.  And course, Sub Terra also apparently had one, but since there's no reference other than a recommended age limit, I don't quite know if that was a publicity stunt?

Here we go.... my final update for the ride (unless it opens late) Lots of activity on site today! Sounded like there was lots of work going on inside the ride. Merlin studios van kept on visiting the site and saw sim works going in and out quite a few times. Hope you enjoyed my little updates every now and then  ^_^ 

My favourite quote of the day comes from two builders...

“Come back in a few days time and it will be lit up from the inside”

IMG_6366_new.jpg

More photos and stuff at the normal place.

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news/news-thorpe-park/final-call-at-thorpe-junction

Interesting what were you expecting bodies to be cut up left right and centre remember they had to keep it rated 12. I think that the theme / ride experience were bloody good.

I wasn't expecting dead bodies, but I was expecting some decent theatrics and if you think the indoor section is spot on, you should absolutely get a job with MMM.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic