Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Yer oh definatly , it's great they have kept the padlock on this ride shut and I breakable ,but it just made me think , in the last few dates they have teased it so much , so I was hoping for another one today , but I suppose will have to wait till tomorrow haha ! 

The accusation of a paper making up figures on the fly would be fine if the paper in question wasn't the FINANCIAL TIMES...

As for the secret stuff, its the argument as to whether or not such a thing is detrimental to the ride's hype... Thirteen is another good example of this, where people thought it dreadful on opening day because the secrecy increased the hype for it...

There's nothing wrong with parks laying it all out on the table early doors... Especially as it stops inane theories and the like...

I think it's highly likely we'll be seeing some form of trailer or teaser as well as an opening day on Friday 13th. It would be a good time to do something like this, seeing as there's lots of superstition and an overall scary mood surrounding this date.

As for the budget thing in the paper, of course it doesn't matter if the budget it £13m; they can still make a brilliant ride for that money. But they have been advertising that this is Merlin's biggest ever investment, so either that is still true and this information is false, or they've just been hyping it up! I shall not believe anything however unless it is 100% confirmed. 

Who said they were making figures up? I certainly didn't. However I'm not going to start running around stating it as 100% accurate because nothing has officially been confirmed.

People like different things, some like secrecy and some don't. People will generally like secrecy when it comes to dark rides so nothing is revealed, although some theories might be "insane" but isn't that what makes speculation fun and entertaining for the majority? This idea of creative exploration through ideas being shared between each other. In regards to TH13TEEN, people thought it was 'dreadful' due to the dark nature of the marketing as the 'secret' was actually seen in the trailer for the ride. Not only this, but you can still be secret about an attraction and market it as a family ride, eliminating the expectation of something incredibly thrilling and the idea that disappointment is brought on by secrecy. If you need anymore proof look at Nemesis and Oblivion for reference on a positive impact of secrecy, and THE SWARM for a negative impact due to lack of secrecy.

Cost of development does not necessarily equal cost of overall investment though?  

Though if £13m is the total cost, that's still a large amount of money for one attraction, and looking at the quality of some of theming, it's still promising. 

I'm in two minds about this opening date. While yes it does seem a bit late for Friday 13th , it also fits the theme of superstition. Could they open the attraction with only a couple days warning, perhaps ? Or they could have a trailer on the 13th for anticipation of the ride opening last week of May ? , who knows ?! 

On another note, I wonder if anyone can help me? , I bought a cog key ring for my car keys. I couldn't work out why the picture on the secand cog was a very weird shape and weather that was due to looking at it in a certain way with the 1st cog over the top of it. I can't really see why the picture cog has such an oddly shaped image on it ? , can anyone help ? 

I was on park today and Studios North were still out with paint pots and resin guns - and working on the sign AGAIN :P So think 13th May is just a little bit out of the question. Maybe the end of May is pushing it...

The door was open in the building near the refreshments booth, saw some sort of electronics in there- as soon as the chap in there realised I was peering through the fence though he shut the door haha.

On a different note, non enthusiast friends who I was with thought it was a complete mickey take having the ride shop open when the advertised opening date of the ride itself has been delayed.

(Park today was dead today FYI and had an awesome day - guy on SAW singing as he loads was very enthusiastic to say the least haha)

£13m seems more and more likely to be the real price. Seeing as Thorpe are most likely the people who gave them that figure. To me it implies the budget has been slashed from its original target which given previous examples (zufari) doesn't rest very well. Then again the orginal £20-40m figure could have just been said to get fans hyped so who knows.

51 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

I was on park today and Studios North were still out with paint pots and resin guns - and working on the sign AGAIN :P So think 13th May is just a little bit out of the question. Maybe the end of May is pushing it...

The door was open in the building near the refreshments booth, saw some sort of electronics in there- as soon as the chap in there realised I was peering through the fence though he shut the door haha.

On a different note, non enthusiast friends who I was with thought it was a complete mickey take having the ride shop open when the advertised opening date of the ride itself has been delayed.

(Park today was dead today FYI and had an awesome day - guy on SAW singing as he loads was very enthusiastic to say the least haha)

Yer I have to agree with you here mate , 13th does look a little unlikely , if they also still have to sort out that area . Although it is meant to be abandoned which would make sense if they almost left it , with some rusted items around the place , could make for some good themeing ! , and with a some picnic tables could be used as an extension for outside seating for the bbq.  . It would be awesome for it to open this weekend coming , but we have to wait just that little bit longer. 

I cant ant seem them building a new stucture at this late in the game or anything in that space, so think it may be used as additional seating , or a place for a stand or stall ? That's my thinking anyway haha 

The area by the BBQ where the Heras temporary fencing is (with "The Island Is Changing" branding) looks particularly unfinished at the moment... but there is stock in the Hydration station shop already :P

Was having a chat with the chap in the shop - he was working on the 6th and said there were a lot of unhappy people!

13th isn't going to be happening. I'd expect at least a week's notice so Thorpe can try and build some hype to the delayed opening date.

I can't see it myself... they've never done that before. 

Overheard conversations in the small queues we were part of today suggest having the "Ghost Train this way" signs up as well as the shop open but the ride not does more to wind up guests than to encourage promotion for the thing. 

Something to note is next to the queue line shop, there is one of the all day refill rinse stations which is new in a queue line. I quite like this idea as this thing will rack up inane queues, and the refill offer is becoming more popular each season! :)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic