Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

4 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

They are nothing but a complete shambles.

3 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Why invest in something with so much new technology when their reliability on existing, tried-and-tested rides is already awful?  Why get something that heavily relies on effects/headsets working when they don't even maintain their current effects?

It's a disgrace to be airing the adverts on TV stating "end of May", I saw two yesterday!  What sort of clueless so-and-so gives a second timescale after the backlash the first delay got?

2 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Samurai, Saw, Stealth, Colossus, Rush, Tidal Wave, Storm Surge, etc.

2 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Just seen this on Thorpe's website:

:clapping::rolleyes:

Shame it took them two delays and subsequent backlashes to realise this.

1 hour ago, Coaster Jamie said:

I have read it, it doesn't change my opinion and I don't want to cause a stir by replying to it.

That advert is false advertising.

I don't think it justifies 5 moaning posts in the last few hours. Yes, Thorpe has mucked up. But why not be patient and just wait and enjoy the other rides Thorpe has to offer rather than coming to a forum to complain about an unfinished product that when finished will probably make us glad we waited. There is so much new technology here within this ride, which could be up there within the top 10 dark rides in the world, that I'm more than happy to wait for a product that's 100% done rather than a yeah it was ok 65%.. 

2 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Two of those posts were responses, so it's three and the third one was because I had seen something on Thorpe's website worth posting anyway.

The ride is delayed... Yes it may be annoying but what can we honestly do about it? Even if they hadn't released a date, the ride would not have opened any sooner.

5 minutes ago, MarkC said:

The ride is delayed... Yes it may be annoying but what can we honestly do about it? Even if they hadn't released a date, the ride would not have opened any sooner.

But it would have been better from a PR point of view as Thorpe wouldn't have let thousands of people down - also am I right in thinking that they are refunding people's tickets due to this?  Therefore it's a payout which could have been avoided.

People need to chill out, it's delayed , we don't know when it's opening and won't until new info is released . We know by the statement made, that nothing is happening next week , so realistically we are looking at the 6th of June for any kind of speculation of an opening day . Anything sooner would be great, but at least knowing we have another couple weeks before we know any more means no reason for false hope.... So chill guys ...  #justsaying #bobyourboots #inthefreezer

23 hours ago, Archive said:

You would be quite right to feel so exasperated Josh if things under the surface were all rosey in the industry, but sadly it often isn't as straigtforward as that. People are  justified to express disappointment when projects are handled as dysfunctionally as the recent ones in Merlin parks.

Just wanted to make it clear that I've nothing against people expressing disappointment or being annoyed - it is more I don't see how Thorpe can ever win with what feels like, at times, a larger amount of the enthusiast community.  

But other than that, I do wholeheartedly agree with you post! 

22 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

People are discussing Thorpe more than Dollywood because this is a Thorpe Park forum, it's as simple as that.  I'm sure that the people affected by Lightning Rod's delay are discussing it and possibly that it's bad (depending on how it was handled - I haven't got a clue as I haven't really been following).

Regarding the "do they ever learn", it boils down to recent projects; they announced a date for The Smiler which was delayed, and then delayed again.  Then they announced the date for Derren Brown's Ghost Train which was delayed, so what did they do?  Released another deadline which has now also been delayed.  It's easy to see why people are getting frustrated IMO.

I wasn't really clear with the Dollywood point.  I meant that if you look at enthusiast forums in general, everyone seems understanding of the delays to Lightning Rod.  Of course, I have not trawled through every single forum, but it's just something I've noticed from what I've been reading.  Yet the complete rage for Ghost Train (in general) is in a whole different league, and I just can't see why.  It baffles the mind.  The only logical reason I can think of is it's just yet another chance for people to have a pop at Thorpe / Merlin.

Again, I get the frustration.  But there's a line between frustration and point blank rage which seems to have been crossed by many in my opinion.

Ireland at Europa Patk had been delayed

Rivers Of Light has been delayed 

Frozn is opening late

Lightning Rod delayed 

rumoured delays of Kong

rumoured delays to BTM's refurb 

no opening date for Klugheim

Ferrari Land delayed by a whole year 

2016 has just not been a good year for delays. Thorpe has obviously has the most slack (for obvious reasons), but at least it's not on the scale of PA.

Just imagine what'll happen when we finally get an opening and it opens.

Naturally people are disappointed and I get that. I know how big this attraction is but also know how important it is that its fully finished and ready when it opens. Its just unfortunate we have to remain patient and wait a little longer. I still believe it will be worth the wait.

I totally get why people are upset about this - ultimately we are all enthusiasts and should all be looking forward to getting on the ride when ever that may be.

But I don't think going around calling the park everything under the sun is fair either - ultimately to us the delays are no more than an annoyance, to the park there will be huge financial implications and of course their reputation which they obviously want to protect.

I've no doubt in my mind that when they announced the launch date they were 100% confident of achieving it, and when this was not reached and they announced the end of May they would again of been certain of reaching it, they have nothing atall to gain by picking random dates based on nothing and missing them.

Reading over the comments on FB it's quite refreshing that a fair amount of people are being supportive and understand the delay is out of their hands.

It will open, we will all get on it soon and hopefully it will be worth the extended wait!

We cant really say that its just a merlin thing, I know its going back a couple of decades, but when Disney finally opened The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland (California) that had a 6 year delay. I know they had other reasons besides the creative, but working out what was actually going to happen in the ride, fixing down an atmsophere, so it worked coherently all the way through, its the same thing Thorpe Park are doing. To note as well, the haunted mansion began its advertising in 1961, for a 1963 opening, didnt actually open until 1969, 8 years from it first being advertised, lets think ourselves lucky that isnt the extent thats happened with this.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Regarding the "do they ever learn", it boils down to recent projects; they announced a date for The Smiler which was delayed, and then delayed again.  Then they announced the date for Derren Brown's Ghost Train which was delayed, so what did they do?  Released another deadline which has now also been delayed.  It's easy to see why people are getting frustrated IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they have now done. They've missed an initial deadline, they've now said they will miss a vague end of May opening and are now saying they will give a date when they think its appropriate. 

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the reason you're getting the responses is because you're the first in line to give criticism or negative feedback. Think about it, this ride opening late has very little impact on you (unless you are somehow personally involved in the running of this ride). I don't care about this delay for example, the ride will open eventually and thats the important thing. It seems so unnecessary to be this incensed by something.

As I don't have a MAP does that entitle me to be more annoyed than those who do?

Klugheim can't be delayed because it never had an opening date, it's smart thinking after the massive Intamin cock up on Chiapas...

The issue here is that we cannot visibly see what the problem is... You could with Smiler, you could with Chiapas (testing videos of the first drop), I assume Ferrari Land's delay is because Spain as well... Because we actually don't know the reasoning (some say Derren isn't happy with the final result, which reminds me of when Merlin annoyed Dreamworks with the proposed Shrek area for Towers), it allows WILD SPECULATION and the like... Especially as we don't know exactly how long the delay is...

The main problem is that perhaps the attempt to insert lots of new tech hasn't been fully considered, because as we all know, new technology can be buggy and tempermental... I assume that's why Lightning Rod is delayed...

I do like how everyone is finding as many delayed rides historically to support Thorpe, perhaps technologically biting off more than they can chew (likely reasoning for delay) or not being able to please the IP (not as likely reasoning) means that they need to plan their projects better... Which they really never have done Merlin wise, otherwise Thirteen's fences wouldn't have been painted on opening day...

The last 4 pages of this thread have literally just been moans. People moaning about the lateness and even more people moaning about these moaners. And now I'm moaning about... I won't even go there! Seriously though, this craziness did not need to happen and whilst you may be annoyed, an Internet rant will not do anything.

so I advice everyone to...        #goofflineandhavesomechilltime ;)

33 minutes ago, Benin said:

As I don't have a MAP does that entitle me to be more annoyed than those who do?

Klugheim can't be delayed because it never had an opening date, it's smart thinking after the massive Intamin cock up on Chiapas...

The issue here is that we cannot visibly see what the problem is... You could with Smiler, you could with Chiapas (testing videos of the first drop), I assume Ferrari Land's delay is because Spain as well... Because we actually don't know the reasoning (some say Derren isn't happy with the final result, which reminds me of when Merlin annoyed Dreamworks with the proposed Shrek area for Towers), it allows WILD SPECULATION and the like... Especially as we don't know exactly how long the delay is...

The main problem is that perhaps the attempt to insert lots of new tech hasn't been fully considered, because as we all know, new technology can be buggy and tempermental... I assume that's why Lightning Rod is delayed...

I do like how everyone is finding as many delayed rides historically to support Thorpe, perhaps technologically biting off more than they can chew (likely reasoning for delay) or not being able to please the IP (not as likely reasoning) means that they need to plan their projects better... Which they really never have done Merlin wise, otherwise Thirteen's fences wouldn't have been painted on opening day...

To be fair I think the park have been more honest and upfront about this all than usual - they have said they tested it out and are not happy with some show elements of the ride and want them to be corrected before opening, whilst that not a huge amount of technical detail, its more detailed than a park would usually be about a attraction (Certainly Merlin ones anyway)

I get the point re the tech - but there has to be a stage where someone bites the bullet takes abit of flack and takes tech to the next level and I think that applies to much more than just rides - look at the first few smartphones!

Out of all the "Merlin" open days I've really only really followed the ones at Thorpe, which really seem to have a fairly good record as far as I can tell, Saw opened for previews and opened on its scheduld open day (Yes it shutdown after a short while - the fact it required Gerstlauer to fly back over make modifications would indicate to me that wasn't any fault of Merlin's planning) and The Swarm which again opened on time and for previews and is probably one of the most reliable rides in the country. 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic