Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I do know what I'm talking about, as it is true that Merlin aren't cutting the staff, as you just said yourself. THE SWARM's fire effect was down to H&S issues - as said by the head of engineering at the resort.

Also thanks BaronC. I had no clue that was the case!

But Thorpe's engineering manager would have been nothing to do with the effect because it was done by MMM and not yet handed over. And "H&S issues" just means MMM hadn't got it signed off/finished/approved on time, so my point stands, same with all the many pieces of theming that were added late.

Also, if you were actually in the know then you'd realise there's nothing really to defend about Merlin and that people needn't follow blindly like sheep to their PR. Merlin are many different sub companies and departments too, hence the huge difference between the ride being maintained by MMM and Thorpe Park operations.

4 hours ago, Owen said:

Speculation I'm all for, constantly bringing up the same fruitless argument - not so much...

But the same argument constantly being brought up is not fruitless. It's a real, noticeable, recurring issue. The question should be, why would you expect it to be different this time?

Id like to point out that firstly I have never claimed to be in the know or admitted to it as even if I was - that'd be a very silly thing to do in my opinion. Secondly I am certainly not one for loving Merlin. However I'm also not one for constantly complaining about things, something that's getting so tiring reading in a topic meant for a new ride. There are plenty of reasons to be annoyed with decisions made by Merlin and their companies - but I'm not going to go around in a topic about a ride that I'm excited about, moaning left right and centre. This is a positive thing Merlin and THORPE PARK are doing, and so I am looking forward to the outcome without slating everything about it before I've ridden it. It could be the worst ride ever built - but for now we don't know anything.

Sorry about the rant - however I feel that it's getting pretty irritating reading it in this thread, is there not a general Merlin discussion?

EDIT: Exactly my point pluk, I can't expect it to be amazing, but at the same time I can't expect it to be terrible either. We just don't know, so I am struggling to get the whole "it's going to be the most amazing ride ever" argument just as much as the "it'll be ruined soon enough" argument. I like to stay neutral where possible, as personally I see that as the best way to either be amazed if it's fantastic, or not let down too much if it's terrible. :) 

2 hours ago, Ian-S said:

What was that old saying?  Don't feed the trolls?  If he annoys you ignore him, then once the ride opens, if what he says was correct, you won't be eating copious amounts of humble pie. 

The thing is though, considering @Insidersaid he does not work for Merlin not long ago, he'd have no way of knowing unless Thorpe went out of their way to tell him (which... they didnt)

Regardless of whether these "rumors" are true or not, Merlin and their teams have put a stupid amount of effort into keeping aspects of this ride a complete secret, and for someone to come along and selfishly ruin the work of a team of people who poured their blood sweat and tears into their art, just for the sake of a little bit of attention is a pretty lame thing to do anyway. 

10 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Yeah, but when it first started it was only going off once every 7-10 circuits.  It was only from 2013 they made it once every 3(?) circuits, and even more often than that on quiet days / Summer Nights.

I'm not sure how often it's been going off this season though; I think it's more like once every 5?

It seemed pretty frequent yesterday. Looks pretty impressive. 

2 minutes ago, lucy1996 said:

Idk about anyone else but I'm getting tired of waiting yes I want to be the best it can be yes I want it to be safe but I'm getting so impatient 

"Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!" - Guinness (1998)

It will be worth the wait. I love everything Derren is involved with so I should hopefully like it. However Merlin's past history worries me (I'm looking at you sub terra)

I hope they do a fantastic job, we all do but how does that old saying go? "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, I'll buy a Annual Pass anyway" ;)

There is nothing wrong with people sharing what they know, if they comfortable doing so, in a spoilers topic. That is what it's for and if you don't like it don't read this topic!

As for the info given and alluded to in an odd cryptic way by @Insider, that's fine. The thing that has riled people is the way you give that info - in your first post you said you were 'confirming' timed tickets. That wil irk people simply because with no identity, history or reputation you are in no position to confirm anything. Confirmation comes from an official source or with proof, not an anonymous first post, even if that info is known to you to be fact.

I for one are grateful for someone taking the trouble to sign up and share their info, but understand the reaction to the way it was given in a community riddled with people making stuff up as known to them which could likely turn out to be true on the offchance of winning some imaginary geek points.

Luckily we don't get too much of that on this particular site, let's keep it that way.

A few Saturdays ago the fire effects went of three times in a row! They did stop them for a long while after that though.

Back on topic, it can't be long until we are going to get an opening date. I would guess this Friday for an announcement of sorts and then an opening for next Friday. Whenever it may be, it can't be too long!

Nor does it charge for a better connection to sarcasm...

Sure by end of June is what we're looking at now the ride to open? If they let out another delay statement stating they want to "continue to perfect the experience" they run serious risk of people's expectations being set so high that it just isn't realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could someone please explain to Lucy the internet doesn't charge per letter?  Many thanks [emoji4]

I believe on the Internet letters are called email .. [emoji12]

Being a chicken and no space awareness especially in the dark I hope someone sneaks a go pro in to get a hint of what it's like inside.

PJ

30 minutes ago, PJ. said:

Being a chicken and no space awareness especially in the dark I hope someone sneaks a go pro in to get a hint of what it's like inside.

With the amount of secrecy that is surrounding this ride, it won't happen. All photography and recording is strictly prohibited inside the ride. I was even severely told off by staff for taking a picture through the window which shows the exit corridor! If someone does manage to sneak a GoPro or a similar action camera inside, it won't be for long. There's bound to be hundreds of cameras inside (just a slight exaggeration ;)) and if someone is caught with one they'll stop the ride, ruining the experience for all the other riders! And a pov would be a little tricky with VR headsets on...

They'll be many spoiler filled reviews that will appear online when the ride opens however, so I'm sure you'll get some idea of what to expect inside by reading them.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic