Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

1 minute ago, Coaster Jamie said:

I understand they did this during park hours which frankly I find appalling.  What a huge kick in the teeth for everyone on park today to see people being let in when they've spent all that money.

Whereas its good because it means it'll open soon, I totally agree, even if I have no plans to ride if it's scary...

9 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

I understand they did this during park hours which frankly I find appalling.  What a huge kick in the teeth for everyone on park today to see people being let in when they've spent all that money.

Thankfully I wasn't there, I've lost interest in this attraction but yet again they've completely mismanaged something which will cause annoyance and upset amongst the majority of paying customers!

People didn't actually seem to bothered - attraction which was advertised as closed was closed :) 

10 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Thankfully I wasn't there, I've lost interest in this attraction but yet again they've completely mismanaged something which will cause annoyance and upset amongst the majority of paying customers!

You're turning into a parody. The attraction was advertised as closed, they opened it to a select group of people. Nobody has any right to be pissed off that they couldn't go on it.

26 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You're turning into a parody. The attraction was advertised as closed, they opened it to a select group of people. Nobody has any right to be pissed off that they couldn't go on it.

Pass-holders have been waiting months for this to open, and other guests have forked out for day tickets so it's a complete kick in the teeth to visibly let people on the ride in front of everyone else.  I'm not suggesting that Thorpe were under any obligation to open the ride, however IMO if it's fit to soft open then it should be to everyone, and failing that the preview should have taken place outside of park opening hours.

Also I would appreciate it if you kept the personal digs to yourself, you have your opinion and I have mine, that doesn't make me a "parody."

19 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

People who have spent their money fully knowing that the ride would be closed as they've still got signs posted everywhere at the park entrance...

If the ride was advertised as open, I'd be more understanding. But seeing as it is stated everywhere the ride is unavailable, I doubt many people are going to be too bothered. 

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Yes they do...

The ride was advertised as closed. So why should hotel guests get to go on it first? Hotel guests get enough priorities, riding the new ride first should never be one of those.

4 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Yes they do...

The ride was advertised as closed. So why should hotel guests get to go on it first? Hotel guests get enough priorities, riding the new ride first should never be one of those.

Who are we - as customers, to decide what priorities hotel guests should or should not get?!

5 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

...why should hotel guests get to go on it first? Hotel guests get enough priorities, riding the new ride first should never be one of those.

It's a good way of selecting a small group of people without having to sort out tickets. Plus people might book in a night just to try it, which is a plus for TP.

Previews for select groups (whether that be hotel guests, passholders etc.) should be done out of hours, its not like they don't already open a few rides for hotel guests in the evenings anyway. 

I personally don't care as I have no intention of riding it, I can see how this operation would annoy people, especially when you have people bragging it.

Those who rode it were told it was a technical rehersal* and there was a chance things may go wrong.  Presumably they were asked for in depth feedback after riding.  As such, the ride is still not being operated in the way it will when it is open to all guests.

So this is essentially a soft opening, for selected guests and maybe some VIPs.  Parks all across the world do this, and people don't complain, so there should be no reason to here? 

*source:  Saw a photo of a ticket issued to a guest on Twitter which has since been deleted.

2 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Previews for select groups (whether that be hotel guests, passholders etc.) should be done out of hours, its not like they don't already open a few rides for hotel guests in the evenings anyway. 

I personally don't care as I have no intention of riding it, I can see how this operation would annoy people, especially when you have people bragging it.

Rides are not open in the evenings for hotel guests.

There's enough salt in here to fill a restaurant supply for a month...

How else can they test the ride? I bet if they did do it out of hours there'd be the same people moaning that the park is being secretive and ignoring the paying public (even though they're trialing it with the paying public, just those at the hotel)...

Damned of they do, damned if they don't...

59 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

How is it appalling?

This ride belongs to Thorpe Park.

This ride is operated by Thorpe Park.

This ride is not open.

Thorpe Park invited THEIR selected guests to ride it as a Dress Rehearsal.

Thorpe Park decided to invite people of their choice onto their investment (the ride) within their park, ran by their staff.

How is this appalling?

Where does your sense of entitlement stem from? You are owed nothing by Thorpe Park or Merlin. It is not advertised as open, so why are you annoyed? Also, no ticket or Annual Pass actually has the clause that you are entitled to ride Ghost Train, so in any case, you have no expectation to ride, at any time. Remember, it's a privilege to enter the park, not a right.

Yes. Twas rehearsal day according to staff. So, I asked if I could ride it and they said... no.

Anyway, I got the reaction from a man leaving the ride. I asked him how it was, he replied "It was good, yeeeeah, it was good." This was not the most enthusiastic of responses but then again, the very different reviews could just be due to people who want different things from rides.

You cannot please everyone.

(Here's a picture of the lucky ones in the queue)

IMG_20160618_180911.jpg

43 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Rides are not open in the evenings for hotel guests.

They have been past, Flying Fish and a couple of others open when friends stayed there.

Remember, it's a privilege to enter the park, not a right.

Its a privilege when you're invited by management to enter for free as their guest, it's not a privilege when you have to pay £50 to enter, then it becomes a right, you know, that pesky old "exchange of money for goods or services" principle our economy is based on.

9 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

They have been past, Flying Fish and a couple of others open when friends stayed there.

Its a privilege when you're invited by management to enter for free as their guest, it's not a privilege when you have to pay £50 to enter, then it becomes a right, you know, that pesky old "exchange of money for goods or services" principle our economy is based on.

Incorrect. It's still a privilege. At no point is it a right to be within their property. They can eject you at any time they desire. Feel free to be pedantic, but it is not a right to be able to enter Thorpe Park, and anyone that thinks it is, is deluded with a warped sense of entitlement. 

Enough with the complaining! Do you seriously think that they go out of their way to wind people up?!! I'm sure they have better things to do.

Let's look at it logically: I was told that the preview only seemed to run for a couple of hours, they only took new groups in every 20 minutes or so and that there was a lot of management presence (presumably to ensure the smooth running of things).  Maybe they wanted to run it for a few guests, and at a reduced capacity. Choosing hotel guests makes perfect sense; you can communicate it out quietly in advance, keep numbers limited and you have contact details for any future follow up.

As for the timing; perhaps they didn't want to keep their staff and management  around any longer than necessary and wanted reasonable time to action any improvements before doing the same tomorrow.

If they're allowing guests on, then that's a good sign.  I'm as eager to ride it as anyone, but I'm more than happy for them to do whatever they need to do first to make sure it's perfect.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Incorrect. It's still a privilege. At no point is it a right to be within their property. They can eject you at any time they desire. Feel free to be pedantic, but it is not a right to be able to enter Thorpe Park, and anyone that thinks it is, is deluded with a warped sense of entitlement. 

Of course nobody has the right to enter the property like they do a public park, but what you're saying 'hey you should be honoured to pay £50 to enter and think yourself lucky there's any rides open at all" which a really ****ty attitude to have towards your customers, it would be like opening a nightclub and charging £20 a head to enter then when people complain there is no music simply shrung your shoulders and saying "DJ broke the decks, tough titties you paid to enter the building, I'm not obliged to provide you music, you should just be honoured I let you in".

10 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Of course nobody has the right to enter the property like they do a public park, but what you're saying 'hey you should be honoured to pay £50 to enter and think yourself lucky there's any rides open at all" which a really ****ty attitude to have towards your customers, it would be like opening a nightclub and charging £20 a head to enter then when people complain there is no music simply shrung your shoulders and saying "DJ broke the decks, tough titties you paid to enter the building, I'm not obliged to provide you music, you should just be honoured I let you in".

Ghost Train isn't open. 

Ghost Train isn't advertised as open. 

Ghost Train hasn't been publicly scheduled to open. 

You have no argument. 

2 hours ago, Insider said:

How is it appalling?

This ride belongs to Thorpe Park.

This ride is operated by Thorpe Park.

This ride is not open.

Thorpe Park invited THEIR selected guests to ride it as a Dress Rehearsal.

Thorpe Park decided to invite people of their choice onto their investment (the ride) within their park, ran by their staff.

How is this appalling?

Where does your sense of entitlement stem from? You are owed nothing by Thorpe Park or Merlin. It is not advertised as open, so why are you annoyed? Also, no ticket or Annual Pass actually has the clause that you are entitled to ride Ghost Train, so in any case, you have no expectation to ride, at any time. Remember, it's a privilege to enter the park, not a right.

It's not a sense of entitlement, it's a sense that it is wrong to let people on in front of others.  As I said I wasn't there so it didn't affect me, and I wouldn't have expected to be open, but letting people on in front of the public (who by the way have spent a lot of money and have been waiting for months to experience this attraction) is wrong.

34 minutes ago, Insider said:

Ghost Train hasn't been publicly scheduled to open. 

It has actually... twice.

People come on. It's getting tedious reading constant complaining from people. I understand what you are saying, but the truth of the matter is that it's a system based on money - those who pay more get more. It's the same case as Fastrack. If people are that offended that other people aren't getting on it before them - book a nights stay. 

At the end of the day it's happened and I'm personally happy - for example if they'd done this with sub-terra they'd have had customer feedback to improve the ride before those who have a higher standard than most get on it - us.

Please can we get off this topic, please! It's getting so irritating coming on here looking for updates and just finding people complaining, for whatever reason. :)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic