Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

The Victorian train is just a shell, which the ride vehicle you sit in goes inside - this is themed as an underground train so when you reach the live action segment you are seeing the actual ride vehicles exterior, not the Victorian shell.

43 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

It's a clever effect, however unless I missed it there isn't any explanation for the fact that a Victorian train carriage suddenly changes into one from the underground?

Given that it's Derren Brown and he says that you'll question your perceptions of reality, it doesn't require an explanation IMO.

What sort of throughput does the ride have and how fast or slowly does the queue move along. I don't mind standing in a long queue if it moves a lot, like saw for example. But if it's like I'm a celebrity queue line that doesn't move hardly it will be painful

Throughput when it's working seems quite good. Yesterday it sounded like they were taking 35 people at a time (probably because quite a few headsets didn't work) and they could let in a group every 3 or 4 minutes

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There are definitely different VR sections for the first part but the ones me and my wife had were almost identical, just with different actors. Same script and actions.

I thought the VR was ok with the first bit, then rubbish for the second. We've used a Vive a few times for games (a friend has one so thankfully we didn't have to splash out £700!) and the graphics on this aren't up to the same quality. Some of the early bits use video, so it obviously looks much better, but when it switches to CGI it's really low res and bad models, no physics, reflections, transparencies or anything. I'm guessing the computers they're using to power them (because each headset will need a PC to account for the head-tracking) aren't very good, or they've limited it to make sure the framerate stays consistent (which it did). 

It's definitely better looking than Galactica, but not by as much as it should be considering the difference in hardware.

Definitely agree with you TPSou.

First section of VR is far superior the the second half. Seeing as one of the selling points is 'questioning your perception of reality', it's extremely obvious what is virtual as I believe there is too much reliance on the headsets.

As for the initial VR, it seems that the actors are the only difference. I spoke to a lot of people and there doesn't seem to be anything else. Hoping there's some other options that they'll only start using once it's fully open.

One thing I was surprised at was a lack of lap bars on the trains. I know it would be an absolute nightmare and slow down throughput a lot, but I wonder how many times people would get too scared, take their headset off and try walk out the train.

When it shut down yesterday they said over the speakers it was 'due to a guest' action. I wonder what happened? We assumed someone tried to get up or punched a member of staff or something - but they said they couldn't reset the ride so that's why they closed it. No idea what they did.

I'm still a bit concerned I'm not going to find this scary. What people need to remember, in the film industry especially, is that 'jumpy' doesn't necessarily mean scary. I've heard a fair few people say it wasn't scary at all, and so I have a feeling that the scenarios will differ in how intense they are...

I too was lucky enough to get on the first ride on Saturday - the one where following a few false starts, the ride was totally switched off whilst a bunch of mechanics came in to fix a faulty door switch in the train carriage. Fair play to Thorpe for not knee-jerking and getting us off the ride as soon as a fault was found; everyone seemed quite happy to sit and wait for the mechanics to do their work... even if it did take about 25 mins!

Short verdict: it's impressive. The Park have attempted something ambitious and overall I'd say it's worked. It's by far the best implementation of VR technology I've experienced in a Theme Park; VR works so much better on a tailor-made dark ride than it ever does on a coaster. But there are downsides; the story is somewhat strange, the flow of the ride is a little disjointed, and VR is very much in its infancy: I predict that without the required upgrades over time, this ride will feel pretty old, pretty quickly. I'm not sure it's especially scary either.

Long verdict: is available at Total Thorpe Park, along with photos and more, although note there are plenty of spoilers!

I'm pleased for the Park: despite delays, this is nowhere near a flop. I saw one guy leaving the ride shouting to his mate that it was "way better than Smiler". If that's the general sentiment from the public, Thorpe have produced a winner.

6 minutes ago, BenC said:

I too was lucky enough to get on the first ride on Saturday - the one where following a few false starts, the ride was totally switched off whilst a bunch of mechanics came in to fix a faulty door switch in the train carriage. Fair play to Thorpe for not knee-jerking and getting us off the ride as soon as a fault was found; everyone seemed quite happy to sit and wait for the mechanics to do their work... even if it did take about 25 mins!

Short verdict: it's impressive. The Park have attempted something ambitious and overall I'd say it's worked. It's by far the best implementation of VR technology I've experienced in a Theme Park; VR works so much better on a tailor-made dark ride than it ever does on a coaster. But there are downsides; the story is somewhat strange, the flow of the ride is a little disjointed, and VR is very much in its infancy: I predict that without the required upgrades over time, this ride will feel pretty old, pretty quickly. I'm not sure it's especially scary either.

Long verdict: is available at Total Thorpe Park, along with photos and more, although note there are plenty of spoilers!

I'm pleased for the Park: despite delays, this is nowhere near a flop. I saw one guy leaving the ride shouting to his mate that it was "way better than Smiler". If that's the general sentiment from the public, Thorpe have produced a winner.

How on earth did you get away with taking photos in there? :P

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic