Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I am totally baffled by some of the posts in this thread.... we always say that UK never innovates that America always has the upper hand... I am sorry but my experience in this ride was nothing compared to anything else I have ever been on... this is a truly innovative ride and I can see where the money was spent.... maybe I had a perfect ride or something  I had no issue with the vr... it worked perfectly and I can see exactly where the money went... I applaud thorpe for having the balls to do a ride like this... I hate seeing 'enthusiasts' picking holes with one of the most technologically advanced rides I have ever been on.... whatever you think I don't think there is a ride like it anywhere in the world.... 

We are all different, physically and mentally, though enthusiasts, who are the minority, generally have the most opinions, regardless of the subject we enthuse over. The majority of the attending people are experiencing these rides/events for the first time, and for most will thoroughly enjoy their experience. I am sure it will last as people still queue for the items we don't individually like. 

13 hours ago, Marc said:

I guess your comparing to NST? :P 

That, and it's very clear to see that Galactica requires unsustainable numbers.

And IAC may well come into that bracket, the staffing vs throughput is way off. And Saw Alive maybe; it often had a queue for something that was supposedly 'not popular enough'.

I don't see how a fracking company releasing gasses and creatures from unground is particularly 'clever' but each to their own...

In all seriousness I personally don't see an issue with it. If you actually hold the headphones closer they block out the screaming and you can clearly hear, although I must admit they need a better way of communicating the infortation during the live action portion of the attraction.

People need to remember that this ride is going to likely be a constant project for Thorpe - and so the ride will be constantly changing updating if they do stick to this.

I have been tapped by a member of staff on the shoulder to be told to take my headset off so they could do that and implement some noise cancelling headphones.

Was on the first ride of the day today. Broke down for a good 20 minutes half way through the first section. And even when we continued, the safe room effects weren't working at all (a metal pole with two lights came roaring down the tunnel. No fog, no lights, no demon shadow) and the second section had no sound on the headsets whatsoever. They did let us stay on for a re-ride to make up for the lack of immersion, and it was better. Also got on a third run today when all was running very smoothly with hardly any problems.

27 minutes ago, Benin said:

Add noise cancelling headphones, then add a bit on the VR that says "Please remove your goggles now!", its pretty simple...

The end of the first VR section does have a (themed) message saying this.  The second VR doesn't, and I reckon any sort of message would kill the ending.  

I imagine the greatest concern with noise cancelling headphones is what happens in an emergency, and staff genuinely need to get everyone off as quickly as possible. 

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

I imagine the greatest concern with noise cancelling headphones is what happens in an emergency, and staff genuinely need to get everyone off as quickly as possible. 

When the ride broke down yesterday, a message did pop up saying 'Please remove your headsets' and a rather annoying voice kept repeating it over and over again through the headphones and through speakers on the train.

I was at the park yesterday, the queue for this was only open for around 10 minutes before a breakdown was announced and the gates were shut. They didn't appear to open these gates up again until the existing queue had significantly decreased. I can see how the headsets are getting damaged, though, they are clearly not designed to be pulled on and off so frequently or violently as seen during the second section of VR. I may be wrong but I believe that some of the headsets now have separate headphones attached to them when I rode yesterday. They were far louder and more comfortable than they were on the day before hand.

Do the headsets get cleaned after every use? I saw a sign in the queue about them getting cleaned but the day I was there as we were boarding the train people were still getting off, so I don't get how its possible for them to clean the headsets? 

On 31/07/2016 at 3:31 AM, Ob2k said:

I am totally baffled by some of the posts in this thread.... we always say that UK never innovates that America always has the upper hand... I am sorry but my experience in this ride was nothing compared to anything else I have ever been on... this is a truly innovative ride and I can see where the money was spent.... maybe I had a perfect ride or something  I had no issue with the vr... it worked perfectly and I can see exactly where the money went... I applaud thorpe for having the balls to do a ride like this... I hate seeing 'enthusiasts' picking holes with one of the most technologically advanced rides I have ever been on.... whatever you think I don't think there is a ride like it anywhere in the world.... 

Its surely unique and initiative, but there are some problems which simply cannot be ignored.

The VR will be good for now, but when VR starts to take off it might get outdated.

Plus it may be a maintenance nightmare, with the complexity of the attraction.

Even though I think DBGT is a great attraction, I can see why people criticize it.

^Hopefully by choosing the Vive and not cheaping out on the headsets theres plenty of room for improving things like the VR as the tech moves on - it would be pretty marketable too.

As for the maintenance, i agree that it is very complex and im sure it will have its issues, but like all new rides these will get irone out and i'm sure it will run reliably in time. 

Simworx have now let on a few secrets about the attraction, including "Simworx provided three, 17.6m, 60-seat passenger carriages, all themed as London Underground train carriages along with 110m of train track including two traverser tables. Each carriage seat has its own individual PC system VR headset, while there are also on-board screens and numerous special effects such as smoke, lighting, vibration, leg ticklers and more. The finale of the experience see’s each carriage lifted by a 35 Tonne Payload Motion Platform". Read the full article below.

http://www.simworx.co.uk/?portfolio=derren-browns-ghost-train-thorpe-park

Derren Browns Ghost Train is a "Virtual Reality Advanced Dark Ride". This mini article from Simworx gives a little more information about the ride, and how it works. 

Some parts of this article are not quite accurate though.

"..effects such as smoke, lighting, vibration, leg ticklers.."

There are no leg ticklers. Nor is there any smoke on the train...

21 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Derren Browns Ghost Train is a "Virtual Reality Advanced Dark Ride". This mini article from Simworx gives a little more information about the ride, and how it works. 

I did have leg ticklers once and that was the very time it during the technical preview 

24 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Or, a hugely advanced prototype ride wasn't fully working when you experienced the attraction. This is possible believe it or not! ;) 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic