Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I presume you skipped the biology lesson then where they explained your skin is the largest organ in your body and it absorbs just about everything that touches it (whether said item enters other organs is another matter).

I can tell you from experience nurovirus is one such bug that can be transfered by touch alone.  I won't bore you with the specifics unless you really want to know, but it can and the incubation period is 12-36 hours for that.

2 hours ago, Owen said:

The second ending isn't yet believed to be active in the attraction. :)

A friend of mine has experienced an different ending featuring the fire demon that was shown on The Travel Show. 

And about your other point Owen, I have been lucky enough to experience the Ghost Train 6 times, and not once have leg ticklers been present :)

In those 6 times I have also never seen a single 'infected' actor/actress in the safe room. They're still holding a lot back from us, and clearly this ride is still not quite ready. 

Exactly my point - it's a prototype attraction which is evidently having teething issues after we knew it has had many issues. It'd be slightly naive to expect the attraction to be fully working right now in my opinion. Before anyone start the whole "well they shouldn't have opened it if it wasn't ready" I will say if they hadn't people would dtill be complaining, and personally I think the attraction is rather impressive even without the extra effects, purely down to how unique and high tech it is.

Was originally going to write a full out review, but not sure I will now but here's my thoughts on the ride.

QUEUE AND EXTERIOR

exterior is done rather nicely (except the exposed shed parts). The queue feels any typical Merlin queue with cattle pen layout, queue music, announcements and minimal theming. The uncover section is slightly better with the increase in theming and posters but still has room for improvement. The baggage hold however is nicely done.

The Pre-Show

Probably my favourite part of the attraction, I think it's so well done with the Derren projection, feels so realistic and builds it up well. Probably one of the best UK pre-shows and only second to Hex and Oblivions.

The themed corridor is very nice, as is the suspended train. It's a striking centrepiece and nicely detailed.

First VR section

I'm not a massive VR fan, but this was quite good. The aspect of having different visions is good and the quality is much better than Galactica's. Good, but not amazing. The tube carriage is also well built.

The Evacuation (transition scene)

Feels somewhat Sub-Terra like, but again theming is very good, acting is good and the effects in the main chamber with the train coming towards you is highly impressive. 

The Second VR Section

Weakest part of the ride for me. Graphics again are good (not amazing) but feels very stretched out and like a curveball in the plot line. Your there just watching these monsters for a while, then smoke followed by them pushing the train underground. The trick ending though is alright I suppose.

you then exit to the gift shop.

Conclusion

There are some things that work very well on this attraction and others that don't. The Pre-show and transition are done excellently but the VR is hit and miss (especially the last one).

in terms of rides in the UK, it's a great contribution, but to the world not so much. It's no Tower Of Terror or Ratstouille but for the uk it's an entertaining ride.

Hopefully this ride will still work well in a few years, not be neglected and become outdated (one of my main worries) as it wouldn't work without the VR.

Rating 6/10 

1 hour ago, Matt Creek said:

oh well, it was good while it lasted. Slammer is laughing uncontrollably and Smiler says hi.

Because they are both fine examples of reliable rides which suffer no down time? :rolleyes:

That said if it remains closed all day it will be only its 2nd day since opening its failed to open - there are rides with much worse records!

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Because they are both fine examples of reliable rides which suffer no down time? :rolleyes:

That said if it remains closed all day it will be only its 2nd day since opening its failed to open - there are rides with much worse records!

That's exactly why I mentioned them. But that said, Slammers actually been the most reliable of the three ironically.

Lets hope they can get it back up and opening as the park really do need it open as the park numbers need to be up this year.

7 minutes ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

On park today. Found out that dbgt suffered from heat issues despite being indoors, capacity is about 1000 and it could have costed £45 million. Give it 4/10 due to me not liking the horror aspect

Where did you get this from?

Was told capacity is 500 and I doubt it was £45million 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic