Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Publicised numbers are always wrong, Swarm was £23 million I've been told on two separate occasions. Ghost Train is up and nearing 30 apparently and kept rising with all the delays, and now all the tweaks etc. 

Maybe the ride system cost £13 million, plus the £3 million for the actual building, large amount for theming, headsets, marketing etc. Easy to see it slowly rise. 

The owner of the initial group who supposedly started the conversation about Ghost Train's rumoured budget (£30m) confirmed to myself and a couple other enthusiasts that they plucked the number out of nowhere. This was at one of the first technical rehearsals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

Publicised numbers are always wrong, Swarm was £23 million I've been told on two separate occasions. Ghost Train is up and nearing 30 apparently and kept rising with all the delays, and now all the tweaks etc. 

Maybe the ride system cost £13 million, plus the £3 million for the actual building, large amount for theming, headsets, marketing etc. Easy to see it slowly rise. 

I thought the costs that were publicised and everyone generally assumed as fact were:

- Saw 13.5m

- thirteen 15m

- Swarm £20m

- The Smiler £18m

Still haven't been on this damn thing :lol:

Didn't go there first thing today as I assumed that's what everyone would do. Queue time thing on their website said it was unavailable, but walked past to see people in the queue (it was the same for Detty so it's not reliable at all, however the queue boards were more accurate). This was at about 11:00. Was informed they were only letting 300 people in the queue at a time and that they didn't know how long it would be until the next lot could go through, and to come back later (bit odd...unless it's actually being that unreliable that they really didn't know if they'd be sending anymore through at all :lol: ). Come back later to be pretty much told it's now completely broken and will be down for the rest of the day, and that it will be being fixed (or something along those lines) over the weekend. 

TL;DR: If you're going tomorrow, I suspect it'll be closed ;)

2 hours ago, Mer said:

Still haven't been on this damn thing :lol:

Didn't go there first thing today as I assumed that's what everyone would do. Queue time thing on their website said it was unavailable, but walked past to see people in the queue (it was the same for Detty so it's not reliable at all, however the queue boards were more accurate). This was at about 11:00. Was informed they were only letting 300 people in the queue at a time and that they didn't know how long it would be until the next lot could go through, and to come back later (bit odd...unless it's actually being that unreliable that they really didn't know if they'd be sending anymore through at all :lol: ). Come back later to be pretty much told it's now completely broken and will be down for the rest of the day, and that it will be being fixed (or something along those lines) over the weekend. 

TL;DR: If you're going tomorrow, I suspect it'll be closed ;)

In other words, with the delays and reliability Derren Brown's Ghost Train is in fact a South West Trains Service. 

The whole thing is a mish mash of different story lines. Derren goes on about fear, then a floating Victorian train, then a modern train journey with fracking going wrong, then evacuating a train to get run over by a train to then be chased by a monster. Followed by getting back on a modern train to be thrown by a cgi demon to then be told by Derren it's only just beginning. None of it flows, it's all rushed and Derren's involvement seems non existent. 

No one agrees on the price and to be honest I really don't see this lasting long at all. The actors, the trains, the high number of staff operating, the effects, the rapidly ageing VR. It's either spend a lot to keep it going or let it demise as ridership decreases.

2 hours ago, Nick Hutson said:

ahahahah this is hilarious, always thought it was pretty bold of thorpe to have a ride with quite a strong anti fracking message, very interesting to see a ride with political themes

Thorpe probably planted this story to the Daily Mail anyway, it's standard tasteless PR rubbish. Realistically, there is no fracking message in the ride, fracking was obviously just 'topic of the month' when they were planning it and MMM didn't have the imagination to make it into anything interesting. So there you are, its got a fracking backstory, boring, move on

its a big shame this is closed I'm glad I got to ride this I really enjoyed it and hope it gets better over the years to come I do fill sorry for the people who made this ride I wonder how they fill right now and as a big fan of derren brown I fill sorry for him to

I hope Thorpe park get it sorted and they need to get the next ride/attraction right if there is one  

Ghost train does seem to be suffering a fair bit in recent weeks - particularly compared to when it first opened during its Tech rehearsals etc where it seemed fairly reliable when it was up and running - hopefully its latest closure wont be too long and it will be back up and running soon. 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic