Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

1 hour ago, StevenVig said:

Already been posted in the other DBGT Topic.

Is this spoiler thread necessary now? Everyone's been on it now. Seems silly having two threads for the same ride. 

I haven't been on it yet. I have been on some pretty awesome dark rides though so I'm qualified to post in this thread.

15 hours ago, Marc said:

Its the groups biggest ever investment, of course they will continue to evolve and promote it for longer than its first season! 

I wouldn't really expect a major investment to require evolution until several years after opening though as part of a repackaging to tackle falling numbers visiting the attraction...

Especially if this turns out to be an alternative ending which should have been in operation when the ride opened...

59 minutes ago, Benin said:

I wouldn't really expect a major investment to require evolution until several years after opening though as part of a repackaging to tackle falling numbers visiting the attraction...

Especially if this turns out to be an alternative ending which should have been in operation when the ride opened...

Depends how much evolution it requires.. feedback from the GP generally seems pretty good until the second train where you hear comments asking whats happening.

I dont think any new ending for it will be the 2nd ending we never saw this year - i expect it to be completely new :)

It shouldn't need extensive modification given how much it cost, but at least they're improving it rather than leaving it as it is - though I hate how they're basically advertising "Ghost Train will open in the standard it should have been at this year, next year!"

It probably won't change my personal opinion of the ride, but it would be good to see improvements; could we have some ghosts on the Ghost Train?

Wow. I mean, just... wow. Today was by far the worst experience I have ever had on Ghost Train. So many elements are not working the way they should that I wouldn't even wait 10 minutes for it right now.

(Problem 1)

The audio exterior wise keeps cutting out again, just like during the rehearsal week. Wasn't present last week.

(Problem 2)

The headset I used had the left headphone dead, so I was unable to get a surround sound experience. And to top it off, the left and right speakers were the other way round, so when I look to the right, the person's voice kept coming from the window, not the seat opposite me. Quality control obviously wasn't done here.

(Problem 3)

The visuals during the 1st half kept glitching out, so when I raised my hand to ask for assistance mid-ride, instead of moving to an available seat just 4 seats down, the staff member radioed to the control booth "reset headset 55" and then my screen became blank. No audio or video, just a black screen, so instead of moving to a working headset, I was told to sit there with the headset on seeing and hearing nothing, so I missed the 1st half altogether.

(Problem 4 - the worst one)

The walk through section was not working properly either. The part where the train comes racing towards you around the corner did not move at all, so all that happened was some lights lit up the tunnel, nothing else. To top it off, the shadow of the demon creatures that appears in the tunnel wasn't present or lit up in the smoke, so there was nothing to see except a pitch black tunnel. More broken or disused effects.

(Problem 5)

During the 2nd half of the VR, my headset lost tracking of where I was so when it began the video, I was positioned 4 feet further in front, so I was essentially sitting in the middle of the carriage, not the seat. So when the demon creatures looked around in the carriage, my position got in the way, so just like in video games, I just saw bizarre outlines and shapes of the creature in front of me when it looked straight at me.

Amazingly, the green smoke section only lasted for 30 seconds, so that wasn't so bad.

At the end, I wasn't the only one who had identical issues. After informing the staff my headset didn't work properly, I was told with about 7 others to go to the Fastrack entrance and explain the issues I had and they let me go round again without queueing the second time through the Fastrack queue. Granted, the VR second time round wasn't as bad this time, but the moving tube train was still stationary and my headset's audio still wasn't giving me stereo sound.

It's not often I would say this, but I genuinely want the ride right now to stop running at present until all these issues are resolved. It's just absolutely shambolic and appalling that a ride that has been running for only 13 weeks is in a state as bad as this right now.

My advice to anyone who is going to Fright Nights this weekend or today is do not even bother with Ghost Train. It's not even worth trying.

So much for "completely re-writing the rules for what theme parks can do" when none of it works properly...

Sorry for this long rant. As you can probably tell, it has annoyed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why it didn't move, but there didn't seem to be any major delays in opening it today bizarrely. The actors inside seemed aware of it not moving, so my guess is it is broken. I just hope I'm wrong as my friend will be trying it for the first time tomorrow and he's really been looking forward to trying it.

I certainly hope some major work takes place on the headsets. When they work, they work very well. But if one bit is off, it can ruin everything for the rider.

EDIT: A day later as of 8th October, the moving tube train is still broken and not moving.

EDIT 2: Still broken moving train in the half-way section. Embarrassing.

The preshow was thankfully working and it appears the slightly longer version of it was being used today.

But just like yesterday, it's still in a bad state with delays and a tube train that still doesn't move. Felt sorry for those first timers in the queue today which peaked at 150 minutes as they were getting a half-working experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right my experience today was downright shocking. We joined the queue at 11.30 before it officially opened, queued for quite a while before getting on. Pre show worked fine. Ride started, and nobody's headset worked apart from 2 people's on the train so we went through the whole first sequence just sat with headsets off to find us in the next part of the station. We went out some emergency exit with them just shoving us into the fast track queue with no communication. We then had to wait another 40 minutes to get on it again as we weren't even at the front of the queue! Had to see preshow again. Then just before getting on it broke down again. So all in all took us around 2 hours despite being in the first 100ish people in the queue!! 

The evacuation/middle scene didn't work either, I didn't even realise there was supposed to be a train crashing or something, the actors tried to create a scene as much as they could and so we ended up running to the next train, but still not great things are broken. Second VR sequence is awful. Ending was just terrible... who came up with that idea!

So I agree it's a shambles they should close it and sort it out! Hopefully they will over the closed period as it has such potential

2 hours ago, jessica2 said:

Right my experience today was downright shocking. We joined the queue at 11.30 before it officially opened, queued for quite a while before getting on. Pre show worked fine. Ride started, and nobody's headset worked apart from 2 people's on the train so we went through the whole first sequence just sat with headsets off to find us in the next part of the station. We went out some emergency exit with them just shoving us into the fast track queue with no communication. We then had to wait another 40 minutes to get on it again as we weren't even at the front of the queue! Had to see preshow again. Then just before getting on it broke down again. So all in all took us around 2 hours despite being in the first 100ish people in the queue!! 

The evacuation/middle scene didn't work either, I didn't even realise there was supposed to be a train crashing or something, the actors tried to create a scene as much as they could and so we ended up running to the next train, but still not great things are broken. Second VR sequence is awful. Ending was just terrible... who came up with that idea!

So I agree it's a shambles they should close it and sort it out! Hopefully they will over the closed period as it has such potential

After that long rant, that very last line made me choke on my food laughing. It has a long long way to go.

From the sounds of it, my experience was one of the best, and that was still about 75% of what it should have been: only a 20 minute queue, audio outside was WAY too loud (I actually covered my ears, but it was a very empty day, crowd noise would help to cover it up usually), broke down as we were about to enter, quickly resolved, went in, everything worked except for the smoke bit which lasted 2 minutes (but it feels like 20). But that last VR bit, seriously, what kind of noughties arcade mess...

I feel bad that they spent all of that money (I don't know how) and they ended up with that. I really hope they keep going until its perfect. What were Merlin thinking? They know that they're terrible at maintaining effects, why would they install something like this???

20 hours ago, chrisgeorgiou46 said:

After that long rant, that very last line made me choke on my food laughing. It has a long long way to go.

From the sounds of it, my experience was one of the best, and that was still about 75% of what it should have been: only a 20 minute queue, audio outside was WAY too loud (I actually covered my ears, but it was a very empty day, crowd noise would help to cover it up usually), broke down as we were about to enter, quickly resolved, went in, everything worked except for the smoke bit which lasted 2 minutes (but it feels like 20). But that last VR bit, seriously, what kind of noughties arcade mess...

I feel bad that they spent all of that money (I don't know how) and they ended up with that. I really hope they keep going until its perfect. What were Merlin thinking? They know that they're terrible at maintaining effects, why would they install something like this???

Lol sorry to make you choke ? I mean the first VR sequence was cool. I think it could be a cool ride. But so many issues right now it's ridiculous, not worth the money for something that's hardly finished.

I was also angry at thorpe's handling of the incident- there were a lot of angry people due to being shoved back into the queue after being on it and it breaking on us which wasn't our fault. Oh and the guest services queue was so long not surprisingly we just gave up as we didn't want to waste any more of our day on it :/ 

I went on it for the first time EVER (shock I know) today after the last 4 times I've been ITS been closed and I felt the first bit was really well done. The VR made me feel disorientated and I really liked the different train shells but the second section was... interesting? The whole queuing escepe was a disaster and the people I was on with made it even worse. I'll give it another go tomorrow probably to try and get a better experience but effects were broken and I feel pretty meh about it considering I was so excited during construction. 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic