Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I'd rather they just concentrate on the ride actually being open for a change. 2/3 of my visits it was closed the entire day, on the third visit it was open but with a 2hr queue. I'd travel the 100 mile trip to visit if they advertise more ride availability and a queue that actually frickin moves somewhere.

So this was all for a slight name change then? This really is 2016 marketing hype all over again...

Like many, I am reserving full judgement until I've actually ridden it, but considering there were so many issues with it last year which I doubt very much have been fixed or altered, I'm not holding my breath for anything special here. I'm just expecting a change of VR content and a maze at the end, that's it.

https://www.thorpepark.com/2017

NEW for 2017, experience Derren Brown’s Ghost Train: Rise Of The Demon.

Take your one way ticket on a horrifying journey into the chilling depths of the unknown. With intense live action and thrilling physical effects, the grasp of the Demon awaits. 

Are you brave enough to come face to face with the Demon as it rises from the darkness?

As more and more information comes to light the more and more I think they are adding a maze. 

The attraction is typical Merlin, good initial idea which turned into something trying to do everything and then poorly executed. The floating train is cool although makes absolutely no sense. The VR is just terrible along with the live action portion. They would have to improve so much for this attraction to be half decent that I don't think it's possible without starting from scratch which with Merlin just isn't going to happen.

5 hours ago, pluk said:

'Rise of the Demon' sounds a lot to me the the demon that supposedly died in VR land might rise and chase you through the old shop once you thought the ride was over, in a tacked on Sub-Terra scare maze kind of way. 

Oh God I hope not - the ride itself doesn't scare me but the thought of being chased by something does - only because even the thought of running doesn't fill me with joy

3 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

They're going to use that demon costume they used for promo last year I bet. I remember speaking to someone possibly at press about the costume and they talked about how it would have been nice but there just wasn't a way to utilise it.

[spoilers] I can think of them using it in the tunnel scene. Behind everyone is an access door that throughout the press night had a girl actor with face a little messed up running towards the crowd during the "Get out" bit. I could see it coming through them doors. [/spoilers]

3 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

They're going to use that demon costume they used for promo last year I bet. I remember speaking to someone possibly at press about the costume and they talked about how it would have been nice but there just wasn't a way to utilise it.

THorpe Park didn't use that demon costume though, it was  commissioned by an external ad agency who were hired by Merlin to create the PR, and given designs for the demon based on the attraction. However it never was anything to do with the attraction at all, just the PR campaign, unless they find it and sell it to Thorpe.

I am sure I am reading too much into this, but if you pause the "announcement" video at 25 seconds it appears to be a clip from Fright night; so I am putting 2 and 2 together and making 10... scare maze at the end it is. Not happy.

I fell for the Marketing in 2015, I am not doing it again. I have no hope or expectation, as I don't want to feel so let down again come March.

I also do not think we are getting a whole new 2nd VR sequence, just maybe a few extra characters. The fact is they could still blag ROTD as a title with the existing content, plus the fact the demon hand is grabbing the train, maybe he'll pull the whole train down instead of the one passenger. 

Are we ever going to get different experiences as they always marketed? The 12 different stories and 2 endings, or does everyone get ROTD now??? Very contradictory 

Only March will tell....

So let me get this straight....The opening was delayed so that they could get this ride completed to the standard they wanted. 7 months later, they're changing it. Riiiggghhhtt then. Why can't they just build a decent experience straight off the bat?

This stinks of Stealth 2.0 and the Swarm "Brave it backwards". Just build a decent ride from the outset and you don't have to keep recycling it for marketing purposes. In fact, build a decent brand that has a good reputation and your marketing costs will go down anyway, but that's for another topic.

18 hours ago, Duncanc said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the ride overall? Seems to be a strange overview, involving mixed emotions on whether the ride was enjoyable or not, haven't managed to experience it myself yet sadly so couldn't comment!

On a run where everything is working perfectly it is a 7/10 ride. If not it's <5/10

I'm actually quite annoyed they're changing this when I haven't experienced the first story. We have to travel 350 miles to go to Thorpe Park. We have been 3 times and each time Ghost train and Stealth (The main reasons we go) have always been closed as well as other rides. So given that Ghost Train never worked in the first place I'm reluctant to risk the cost of travelling down to try again. Me and the kids are desperate to try ghost train before people on the internet ruin it further with more spoilers. There's been plenty on here so far without warnings. if Thorpe Park want people to go this year they're going to have to provide a lot of reassurances to the public that we won't have the large number of ride closures we had last year. 

I have had mixed experiences on this attraction. When it works, it is quite good, but the minute something goes wrong, its rubbish. Hopefully Rise Of The Demon will not only bring a new story, but will hopefully have a lot of the technical issues sorted. I think, overall its a clever idea and has so much potential, but it lets itself down. I know that I will be extremely annoyed if Merlin just add on a maze at the end of the attraction. TP do good mazes (After their first year or operation) But its such a let down when one gets added onto an attraction that is supposed to be 'scary'. It feels like a tacky way of trying to improve something. 

On 19/01/2017 at 8:27 AM, MattyMoo said:

In other news, I propose it a ban-worthy offence to refer to this ride as DBGT, it is now DBGTROTD.

Hahaha my thoughts precisely! Such a long + awkward acronym just screams Merlin ????

Honestly though, just to contribute to the main topic of conversation; I've never been a huge fan of the ride. I SO wanted to like it but the flaws were strikingly obvious from the start. And that second VR section... just no. No thanks.

hoping for improvement on that GREEN MIST if nothing else. A scare maze surely couldn't make it worse than it already is, though it surely won't make it better either. Simply I just don't care if it gets one or not, I've lost hope in this attraction ??

The problem is, the quality of these graphics is primarily down to a display where the pixel density of each screen covering each eye simply is not high enough to make it visibly sharp. This is not an issue just with the Vive headsets but across all of the popular ones such as Oculus, Gear VR and PlayStation VR. Until one of these headsets has a display rating of 4K or above, this will continue to be a problem the ride will suffer unless further down the line the headsets are updated to newer ones with sharper resolutions. VR headsets will very soon have 4K displays in them and this should hopefully solve part of the problem with the graphics, but knowing Merlin, I doubt this will happen.

As for the green mist section, I'm sure the park will be changing this for 2017 to something much more interesting, but the holding issue that scene can be left on will likely never get resolved due to stacking issues of all 3 trains in the circuit. One solution could be to make each half of the VR sections longer which will therefore eliminate the hold entirely, but then the throughput will be reduced further with even slower queues and more waiting to get on and off the trains. Unless all three trains are perfectly synchronised within seconds of each other, this issue will continue to persist and I cannot see any other way this problem will ever get fixed without there being a massive overhaul of the mechanical system.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic