Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

2 hours ago, Graw said:

ohh that's wild, do you know what part of the demon the actor is in? I just can't see how it's an actor or why it's an actor if the demon always does the same movement like it does in videos etc, seems pointless to me. surely if it was an actor it could do more varied movements etc to scare more people? the movements are really lifelike though tbf

The demon costume is monstrous. I'd imagine the actor would reach, perhaps, a little over half way upwards of it. It always does the same movement - forward, left, right - because it ensures that everyone surrounding gets equally spooked. All in all, it's a brilliantly executed scene. 

also if I'm correct the train scene with the train swinging out to you is a full train front not just lights on bars (the whole front is there) the weight is one of the reasons it has issues.  its a shame the effect dosnt work. but tbf when it didnt work the ride was alot less.

Still miss the original about to evacuate down the tunnel then a constuction worker wressling with the LU staff before both throwing themselfs out the way just before the train swung in

was a highlight of the ride. but if it didnt work the middle scene would fall a bit flat

is there any pictures of the moving train with some light? so it can be proved one and for all if its lights on a stick or not?

I agree, I think the new updates have degraded the ride in quality. The train scene - when working - was great. It was very theatrical and successfully inflicted a scare upon first time riders. Amidst the averageness of the ride, this scene remained memorable for me, and I'd imagine for most riders. In replacement, we've been given a couple of actorless corridors and a strobe light, which isn't very exciting at all. I do, however, see why they've made this decision. It was ridiculously unreliable. Out of the, let's say, 20 times I've ridden it, maybe just under half saw the effect working. It's a shame. 

Surely this has a lot to do with removing actors from the attraction to save money, which is EXACTLY what most enthusiasts said from the get go. I still haven’t been on it as it has zero interest (same as TWD), but I’m visiting in a few weeks so I’ll get my first experience of it. Shame it’s cheapened now in its 3rd year, but I’m hardly surprised. 

No doubt the train scene was impressive, the only thing missing from it for me was a shaking floor like they have at the Dungeons for a bit of physical feedback. It's a shame they couldn't get it to work right. I don't think it was mainly about removing actors. If they wanted to save money on the ride already, I doubt they would have changed the layout of the attraction two years in a row. I still think it's very much an ongoing project trying to create a new type of VR based attraction. I think they're very close with the live VR scenes.

For full immersion, I still reckon AR would be so much better. Have screens as the train windows and more reliable, high-def headsets. I know it would be even more expensive to do this but I think it would really mess with your mind about what is and isn't real. Imagine taking your headset off after the first scene and still seeing a demon hiding in the corner of the platform through the train windows before going out onto it. :unsure: It's unlikely to happen I know but I can dream! That would be the best experience with the current technology imo. :good:

I imagine one of the reasons for getting an actor to play the demon as opposed to an animatronic is cost.  

A full animatronic would require a lot of money being spent to look realistic, hiding mechanical components, etc, as well as making sure it's kept working.  Hiring an actor means you just need to pay for a good costume (which is comparatively cheaper) and staff, and you get life like movements and no mechanics to hide.  

I'd imagine in the long term an animatronic would be cheaper, but what's more appealing - a large sum up front for something that will last for 10 years, or chunks of money each year for a few years, after which you can re-evaluate and change the scenes?

4 hours ago, BaronC. said:

I imagine one of the reasons for getting an actor to play the demon as opposed to an animatronic is cost.  

A full animatronic would require a lot of money being spent to look realistic, hiding mechanical components, etc, as well as making sure it's kept working.  Hiring an actor means you just need to pay for a good costume (which is comparatively cheaper) and staff, and you get life like movements and no mechanics to hide.  

I'd imagine in the long term an animatronic would be cheaper, but what's more appealing - a large sum up front for something that will last for 10 years, or chunks of money each year for a few years, after which you can re-evaluate and change the scenes?

Or something you can cut after three seasons.

Going back to the old middle section, I’m just curious as to why it broke down all the time.

From my point of view all it seemed to be was a few bars moving 3 metres and back but there clearly must’ve been more to it than a moving bar (even Merlin could handle something that simple) so I’m intrigued as to what the main cause of it breaking was.

20 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Or something you can cut after three seasons.

As I say, it's something they can "re-evaluate"... the posh term for cut.. ;)

I tried out Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon: Venture into the Tunnel (DBGTROTDVITT) yesterday.  I don't really like it. 

The new mid scene makes no sense - we're evacuating a train, because of gas and all that which is outside the carriage and leaking in.  We then do through some random mesh tunnel, passing a couple of trains despite never really walking on train tracks, then some random projection of a demon on a high up wall knocks a moving train carriage down a hole.  There's no logic there.

Genuinely, the scene would have been a lot better if you were led into the area, told it's a safe place whilst workers clear an emergency route, then have the lights go off and a couple of demon noises from various areas of the room.  Gives you reason to be in, explains what the area is, and gives you a reason to get out.

5 hours ago, BaronC. said:

The new mid scene makes no sense - we're evacuating a train, because of gas and all that which is outside the carriage and leaking in.  We then do through some random mesh tunnel, passing a couple of trains despite never really walking on train tracks, then some random projection of a demon on a high up wall knocks a moving train carriage down a hole.  There's no logic there.

This. The projection however I believe is what was used last year over the tunnel after the train ceased movement (onto a smoke screen) so they've just turned and adjusted the projector in effect.

I totally agree with the strobe idea not working too. I feel like if they wanted something like that it could have been better executed by making perhaps smaller tunnels with smoke effects and train noises, or something like that. But there's no escaping how it was originally was its better form. I'd be curious to know who's made the decision and set the changes up, as it feels like its been done to cut the actors; but also seems to have been done very quickly and cheaply by say a on-site department.

Originally on my first rides on ghost train there wasn’t an actor in scene 2 with the train crash, an infected actor was added later on, which isn’t part of it now, so from what I can tell there’s only one less actor from the changes. 

I agree it looks like the fences into the tunnel have been done cheaply / on site, the crashed train at the end of it definitely hasn’t and is new. 

I think the corridor could do with more smoke and an “infected” actor in there to give it abit more effect possibly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having experienced Derren Brown's Ghost Train today, they've completely butchered the live scene.  A fantastic anamatronic train and scenery surrounding it replaced by a tacky strobe maze, and some red lights flickering followed by the "get out" audio being played through a speaker... like, what are we supposed to be running from?!

Also had issues with headsets not working and had to change seats after it had started, only to have the second headset with glitches.  Frankly, you wouldn't expect this from a ride which cost £30 million pounds.

What a wasted investment.

What the hell has happened to the mid section of Ghost Train...

I know the story was already a shambles but this new section helps the whole attraction make even less sense.

Something about fracking, people getting infected, something about gas, get attacked by an infected person. GET OFF THE TRAIN!

Then suddenly, things turn into a Fright Nights strobe maze with nothing happening, you go into a room to look at a drill, nothing happens, then you're shouted at to get out, the hell is going on lads?

And now when we get back on the train, it's self aware you're on a ride at Thorpe, then you fall into hell.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but the continuity of the story is hilarious.

For a once a year ride it's fine, so I won't join the band wagon of calling it terrible, but it could be alot better that's for sure. 

My review of RISE OF THE DEMON 2018

pre Show: this is very well themed and it's creepy aswell,the holding area before getting on the Victorian carriage now has a news report playing through a speaker above the fire exit,you can just about hear it saying about a protest in the Thorpe Junction Area,the first Vr Section is Good however I feel like it needs updating,the Live Scene is ok,the Strobes are good,the Tunnel with the Wrecked Train is a decent piece of theming,the Demon Sequence is Good and  to be honest it needs at least 2-3 Actors (1 in the Strobe Section,1 near the Wrecked Train & 1 near the Sub core Drill),the second part of the VR is  amazing,the Fake Shop is Good

rating

7.5/10

On 09/04/2018 at 6:37 PM, JoshuaA said:

The pre-show is good

I've only ridden it 3 times and I'm already bored of the pre show.

The bit where he picks up the train and the ending with the smoke are passable but the rest of it just drags on after you've seen it once.

Still it's got nothing on Star Trek Operation Enterprise for over staying it's welcome on rerides.

On 09/04/2018 at 6:37 PM, JoshuaA said:

the final scare with the shop is good

Agreed.

These are TWD spoilers but are relevant to this ride's changes

Spoiler

During the eXpo talk the Walking Dead ride designer says the final room has a special effect where a truck smashes through the wall and reveals the way out. I actually have a feeling this is where the train has gone - they could have only had one rig and just moved it all to TWD.

the train is still there.  its just stationary.

the WD final seen looks to be a new installation.

The train crash in DBGT was never lights on a stick. it was a entire train front which swung out and back similar to the ones that are stationary around the area. the weight I'm assuming was one of the reasons for its unreliability due to its speed for the effect to work

• JoshC. pinned this topic