Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

32 minutes ago, 1729 said:

the train is still there.  its just stationary.

the WD final seen looks to be a new installation.

The train crash in DBGT was never lights on a stick. it was a entire train front which swung out and back similar to the ones that are stationary around the area. the weight I'm assuming was one of the reasons for its unreliability due to its speed for the effect to work

They were lights on a stick!

TWD spoiler...

The truck on TWD doesn't move. The effect is of a stationary truck, along with lighting and sound effects to simulate a truck crashing towards you.

The train in the tunnel that you see now on Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon: Venture into the Tunnel is a new thing. The moving train was just lights on a stick, and had very mixed reliability for a variety of reasons.

Reliability aside, that effect when it was working in 2016/17 I happened to really like and are greatly annoyed it's been taken away now, even if it was for understandable reasons and apparently was causing a lot of breakdowns. Though, I honestly question that claim as the ride is still having as many issues now as it did last year in my experience so far this season...

The middle section now just feels like Sub-Terra's exit shipping container but with some fancy lighting and audio effects added, but with no actors this time. Doesn't feel like an evacuation anymore, but just a casual walk through the underground tunnels with no chaos, panic or meaning. 

A.K.A - the middle section is now superfluous.

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

TWD spoiler...

Reveal hidden contents

The truck on TWD doesn't move. The effect is of a stationary truck, along with lighting and sound effects to simulate a truck crashing towards you.

Spoiler

It's not supposed to be, it is supposed to crash into the room, this has been already publicly now said. Is it not impossible that this was also just equally unreliable?

On 18/04/2018 at 3:44 PM, 1729 said:

the train is still there.  its just stationary.

the WD final seen looks to be a new installation.

The train crash in DBGT was never lights on a stick. it was a entire train front which swung out and back similar to the ones that are stationary around the area. the weight I'm assuming was one of the reasons for its unreliability due to its speed for the effect to work

It was definitely lights on a stick.

if it was lights on a stick, it had the outline of a tube train front and quite a few lights (head lights and a  not in service destination board indipendant from each other) you look back at the old pov and it was more than 2 lights on a stick that rotated round the corner. the stick had a fake train front on it.

feel like I never going to win this but that affect wasnt just 2 lights on a stick moving. otherwise if that was "the most complex effect in the atraction and couldnt be fixed in buget" I'm worried.

still this could go back and forth. look back at old pov you had a whole train front that looks earlierly similar to whats in the same place now 

22 minutes ago, 1729 said:

if it was lights on a stick, it had the outline of a tube train front and quite a few lights (head lights and a  not in service destination board indipendant from each other) you look back at the old pov and it was more than 2 lights on a stick that rotated round the corner. the stick had a fake train front on it.

feel like I never going to win this but that affect wasnt just 2 lights on a stick moving. otherwise if that was "the most complex effect in the atraction and couldnt be fixed in buget" I'm worried.

still this could go back and forth. look back at old pov you had a whole train front that looks earlierly similar to whats in the same place now 

It was two lights on a stick...

19 hours ago, 1729 said:

I can promise you that it was just lights and sticks. There was no train front, no cut out or anything like that. It was lights and sticks and nothing more. I've tried looking at POVs to try and show it, but I can't find one that gives a decent view of it.

It caused problems for a variety of reasons. It not triggering, for no reason, was a big one. It's like it had a mind of its own; throwing a hissy fit and not moving. Whether it was lights on a stick or a train front would make no difference, since the mechanism and arm that moved it would be significantly heavier and the reason for it not working.

I really hate to bang on the same point, but it definitely was just lights on a stick. The fact you thought otherwise shows just how good that illusion was, so the ride must have been doing something right ;)

fair swear I saw a outline, but prob shows how good a illusion is with 3 lights on a stick. (2 white head lamps and a yellow destination text not in service)  yeah its a great effect shame it broke as ironically it was one of the best parts of the ride in its original form (complete with actors of staff struggling with each other and running out the way at the last moment)

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a “funny” moment on ghost train today. As I was waiting to board the train, the staff member who was doing the speech about the headsets and what to do if they don’t work did throw in quite an interesting line.

”if you like it then tell all your friends. If you don’t like it then keep your mouth shut” 

Needless to say the mate I was with was not best pleased about that phrase really!! I Won’t read that much into it if it’s in character because humour is a great thing BUT didnt really appreciate the choice of words given the mixed reception the ride has.

My Derren Brown's Ghost Train rise of the Demon review may 2018

Queue Line: Both Photo points are in operation,they recently reopened the infection checkpoint

Batching: Still not Amazing

Pre Show: I've noticed that people are actually getting bored and not interested in the pre show,maybe for 2019 they Might Update it?

Pre Carriage Boarding: The News Report Audio needs to be turned up or Maybe Played on a TV Screen because in a way it's Linked to the Story

Vr Part 1: Still Okay,I think it sets the story up good

Tunnel Scene: AT First I was not a fan of this scene,but it's getting better ish, maybe they'll put some actors in there at Fright Nights or next year Refurbish the Scene

Vr Part 2: still brilliant even after sitting in the Carriage for 30 minutes during a breakdown and then a restart of vr part 1

Shop Ending: The Ending is still good however The Audio has Been Turned Down (it's quiet ish),the Demon Looks A Bit like a puppet at times (the metal arms),this is normally at the end of the day maybe because the actor is tired or what,but maybe they will turn the audio up Soon,I Would like to see Refurbishment or Maybe a New Scene Added After this Maybe The Demon At The Bottom of the stars as guests exit into the real shop,maybe exit  to the real shop through some Double Doors or Black Flaps

• 2 weeks later...

A fwend of mine who hadn't been to THE ISLAND LIKE NO OTHER in quite some time visited last week and went on DBGTROTD knowing nothing about it whatsoever - and he thoroughly loved it. He particularly liked the hologram start, the VR with the doggo and most of all the fake shop which took him by surprise. 

On the flip side - he thought Living Dead THE RIDE was absolutely laughable and I quote "It's literally just the same coaster in the dark with the occasional zombie flashing at you, maze either side with like 1 dude in make-up trying to scare people". To be honest I don't know why they didn't use that description on the website? :D

On 5/31/2018 at 2:36 AM, Zappomatic said:

They really need to clean the glass in the pre-show! The effect is ruined by the thick layer of dust and the odd spit-mark - would it really take much time and money to sort that out?

Yes - totally agree on that one - needs a good clean.

Went on DBGT:ROTD:WTF yesterday for the first time this season - in the pre show the girls stood next thought Derren Brown was ACTUALLY there ? 

Still enjoy the VR sections and ending but man have they messed up the middle part - it just makes no sense to the story line and I miss the train/lights on a stick and seeing people’s reactions to it.

I remember saying last year that I wish they had an option to skip the pre-show because once you’ve seen it a couple of times it’s kinda boring - just wondering if they could potentially use the 2 batching areas and have one for pre show and one for people to skip it - just an idea ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 2:36 AM, Zappomatic said:

They really need to clean the glass in the pre-show! The effect is ruined by the thick layer of dust and the odd spit-mark - would it really take much time and money to sort that out?

Someone seemed to have given it a clean when I went over the weekend - save for a couple of faint marks which are barely noticeable. :)

My Derren Brown's Ghost Train rise of the Demon review June  2018

Queue Line: Both Photo points are in operation,However on some Occasions the Infection checkpoint has Been Closed some of these occasions include weekends and school days,I've noticed that the queue moves alot slower when both photo points are open,I think thorpe needs to Open the Food & drink stall in the queue near to the Infection Checkpoint Photo Point,as during hot days I've noticed quite alot of people leave the queue because of the Heat.

Batching: Still not Amazing

Pre Show: I've noticed that people are actually getting bored and not interested in the pre show, and When I visited on a Very hot day recently the fans in there were not on and alot of the group I was in was  say that Sweating like mad and the staff did Nothing,this might be because the Pre show sound can not be heard when the Fans on,maybe for 2019 they Might Update the pre show Because it is In My Opinion a Bit long and it's starting to getting boring

Pre Carriage Boarding: The News Report Audio has been turned up Slightly but I think that it should Maybe Played on a TV Screen because in a way it's Linked to the Story,maybe they will add this in 2019.

Vr Part 1: Still Okay,I think it sets the story up good,However it is Starting to get a bit boring.

Tunnel Scene: AT First I was not a fan of this scene,but was getting better ish, but now it's boring again maybe they'll put some actors in there at Fright Nights or next year Refurbish the Scene,because that scene was what made the attraction scary!!

Vr Part 2: still brilliant although on a recent visit the Staff didn't do anything to amp up the scares they just sat down and let the Jump scares from the VR do the Work at one point,one of them were doing fornite Dances.

Shop Ending: The Ending is still good however since my Last Visit The Audio has Been Turned up (it's really loud),the Demon Looks Alot scarier and I Would like  a New Scene Added After this in 2019, Maybe a Scene Featuring the infected or those who were attacked by the Demon who scares/screams at the guests as they exit into the real shop  through some Double Doors or Black Flaps

Rating

Vr Part 1 Scare Rating: 5/10

Tunnel Scene Scare Rating: 5/10

Vr Part 2 scare Rating: 6/10

Shop ending scare Rating: 7/10

overall scare rating 17/40

• JoshC. pinned this topic