Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Nothing much to add to this discussion really, other than it's been an interesting read!

I can't see the future looking too bright for DBGTROTD and would agree with @JoshC. to be honest... can't see that it will open in 2020 at all. It would take quite some retheme to change it to something else minus VR. It has been, and is going to continue to be, a huge problem for the park.

One thing I will say - and have always said - the show building exterior (generally), the pre-show, and above all else, the Victorian carriage exterior, the tube train interiors, the Underground station and the fake shop (minus the guy in the white t-shirt) are all pretty much world class - and I say that without a sense of irony at all. They've nailed those.  It's just such a shame that the rest has always been a bit of a confused mess. Maybe that bodes well for keeping it and rehashing it to something else, I don't know. For it to be removed in it's entirity after the Derren IP expires, or before, would be unheard of - but I don't think it's out of the question. The money pot isn't never ending, and there comes a point where you have to admit defeat, especially with the added complication of coronavirus (and the very valid points about the storyline featuring corona symptoms, plus people probably not wanting doom and gloom when they can finally go to a theme park after all this has passed) - it's going to be morbidly fascinating what happens next.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, JoshC. said:

I don't buy the whole 'a park has to have themed areas to be a theme park'. If you work with that logic, then you have to call Efteling an "amusement park" instead of a "theme park", which does a great disservice to Efteling. These two terms aren't enough to encapsulate all types of parks in the world.

I think it just boils down to how important the role of theming plays within the park. I think Thorpe Park has theming but in most areas its pretty loose and the areas are just kinda there. The area around Colossus and the cluster of flats in that area is a good example, it looks good for the most part, but its more loose. 

Like Six Flags has 'themed areas' too, doesn't make 'em a theme park lol. When I visit Thorpe Park it gives me Six Flags vibes to be fair, and that is not a bad thing. Six Flags Great America is very similar, some areas are themed well (Southwest territory) and others not so much.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, JoshC. said:

More importantly though, does it matter? Whether it's a theme park or an amusement park, their core purpose is to have rides which people will enjoy. Both of those types of parks will know that some rides need to have theming to enhance their enjoyment, whilst some rides don't need theming to enhance their enjoyment. So in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether a park is one or the other, they'll do what's right.

They do vary a lot though. Parks like Europa are meant to fully immerse you in its world. Then look at a park like Cedar Point which has no theming on any ride (I guess Steel Vengeance and Maverick have some pretty queue lines?). These parks are both brilliant, but they are incredibly different. You go to Europa Park for the experience, for the theming. The rides are kinda like the cherry on top. You go to Cedar Point exclusively for the rides. That I think is the core difference between an amusement park and a theme park (though obviously a lot of parks straddle this line). I think Thorpe sits toward the middle, but is more in the direction of being a amusement park as the theming is more secondary to the rides.

In the early years, we could definitely class Thorpe as a theme. They had different areas set out with attractions themed among those. However as the park has changed in the last 20 years, we have seen larger/taller rides built up. 

Given Thorpe isn’t massive and with this in mind, themed areas aren’t really necessary for the park anymore, but that’s not to say the park can’t theme attractions or places. Personally I would like to see them go down a route similar to Cedar Point. You have styled areas, but not necessarily ones that are themed!

Back to the ghost train. I think the logical thing would be to close the attraction until the park know what they are doing. Sure it’s cost them lots of money and means another closed attraction. However it’s caused more problems then it has solved for the park and the whole Covid19 pandemic overall, it would be pointless to open a now controversial attraction that is expensive and unreliable to operate, let alone the money lost since the pandemic. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Looking forward to the 5th anniversary of DBGT next year, I'm sure the park has lots of plans in store for this much applauded and loved attraction that is, and forever will be, the future of theme parks ❤️

Darren Brown 3.0 walk through attraction no ride no VR, experience the Marvel of the floating train.... please exit this way, tell your friends about the possessed floating carriage 

Thorpe park Market the floating carriage as a worlds 1st, the future of theme park wonders and the impossible.....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Remember the floating train carriage piece of merch which had fans flocking with excitement just under 5 years ago? It's currently on sale at half price: https://shop.thorpepark.com/products/derren-browns-ghost-train-levitating-carriage

(I'm sure loads of people know that when a park puts ride specific merch on offer it can be an early sign of a retheme or closure. That's just a coincidence, right........)

9 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Remember the floating train carriage piece of merch which had fans flocking with excitement just under 5 years ago? It's currently on sale at half price: https://shop.thorpepark.com/products/derren-browns-ghost-train-levitating-carriage

(I'm sure loads of people know that when a park puts ride specific merch on offer it can be an early sign of a retheme or closure. That's just a coincidence, right........)

it just means the ride is on the rise, the height of popularity. It's never been a better time to be a fan of Derren Browns Ghost Train.

7 hours ago, Marc said:

To be fair if it is destined not to reopen it is a direct result of Covid, it would have continued to operate at least for now had Covid not happened

I'm not sure about that.  Wouldn't it just be like any other attraction (closed when unsafe, reopened when safe)?

If it doesn't reopen when it's safe to, we can't blame Covid entirely for that.

17 minutes ago, Coaster said:

I'm not sure about that.  Wouldn't it just be like any other attraction (closed when unsafe, reopened when safe)?

If it doesn't reopen when it's safe to, we can't blame Covid entirely for that.

With Ghost Train there's plenty of other factors though.

-How has the IP contract been affected during Covid? If no sort of extensions have happened, we're surely nearing the end of the contract, and I can't imagine any party really being keen to extend it. So Covid would have effectively closed the ride earlier than planned. 

-What will the public's faith be in VR in a post-Covid world?

-Will there be new cleaning procedures required for VR, and can the park feasibly implement them?

Ultimately if its time is coming to an end, it's because of Covid. Sure, there's other factors which could contribute to the closure, but Covid will be the main reason.

Very sure it wouldnt have continued being Derren Brown's Ghost Train regardless of covid, no way did DB want to extend and the contract was for 5 years (apparently)

Covid just stole its final year but also made any revamp more complicated, replacing the VR poses a bigger problem

14 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Very sure it wouldnt have continued being Derren Brown's Ghost Train regardless of covid, no way did DB want to extend and the contract was for 5 years (apparently)

Covid just stole its final year but also made any revamp more complicated, replacing the VR poses a bigger problem

Has it really been 5 years already?
Maybe we'll finally be able to get our "heads in a jar" merch from the gift shop this year. I remember those two photo points in the queue, sigh!

17 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Ultimately if its time is coming to an end, it's because of Covid. Sure, there's other factors which could contribute to the closure, but Covid will be the main reason.

I imagine that whatever restrictions Covid necessitates could be overcome if the desire was strong enough to keep the ride running. This conversation seems to be jumping the gun a little but if it has gone it surely is because they want it gone, not because it has to go.

1 minute ago, Ivsetti said:

It had like 30 - 50 minute queues in 2019 and even if us enthusiasts would give it a miss it reduces queues slightly on the other rides.

On my visits during the peak summer, fright nights, and a moderate day on a saturday. It was walk on every time. The only walk on ride may I add, Vortex had a 40 minute queue on the same day. TWD literally had a queue of about 5 people. The throughput isn't even good to begin with.

• JoshC. pinned this topic