Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

10 hours ago, pluk said:

I imagine that whatever restrictions Covid necessitates could be overcome if the desire was strong enough to keep the ride running. This conversation seems to be jumping the gun a little but if it has gone it surely is because they want it gone, not because it has to go.

I think the problem with ghost train is before this the cleaning was very much a quick wipe of headsets when guests were in the tunnel - even if restrictions allowed I don’t think guests would accept this so much now, they would need to properly clean each headset between every load now - it’s throughput was bad enough before I think it would be even worse now - along with even come june I’m not sure people would be happy sitting packed in on a train like that.

To be fair that’s not to say it won’t reopen - but I can’t see it being able to run “well” atall any time soon - definitely not during the 2021 season.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, JoshC. said:

With Ghost Train there's plenty of other factors though.

-How has the IP contract been affected during Covid? If no sort of extensions have happened, we're surely nearing the end of the contract, and I can't imagine any party really being keen to extend it. So Covid would have effectively closed the ride earlier than planned. 

-What will the public's faith be in VR in a post-Covid world?

-Will there be new cleaning procedures required for VR, and can the park feasibly implement them?

Ultimately if its time is coming to an end, it's because of Covid. Sure, there's other factors which could contribute to the closure, but Covid will be the main reason.

In a way, this is sort-of what I mean - if the ride was successful, popular etc. then the drive would be there to reopen it as soon as possible.

I don't think there's any dodging the fact that it was an outrageous waste of a large investment, for that amount 10 years of operation would surely be far too short - let alone 5.  Covid may have cut its time short, but if there's no drive from the park or IP to get it reopened, I'd suggest that is a sign of a failed project.

A huge problem with DBGTROTD is - what on earth do you do with it next? Once VR is permitted Covid-wise I would assume that they could just change the overlay to something else/another story maybe? But if you take away the VR, it's just a train simulator. Could maybe see it going the way of a live action scare maze type attraction maybe? But even then, they don't have a good history whatsoever at the Island Like No Other.... there also comes a point too where you are just throwing good money away over bad, and it's not worth the outlay to keep it going. Any budget to retheme the thing isn't exactly going to be huge because of the cost already spent on it - and then subsequent "upgrades" - shout out to sweaty white T shirt man in the fake gift shop.

Can't exactly see anyone being super keen on buying it off them either... and we don't want DBGTROTD, Saw Alive, Slammer and Loggers all sitting there SBNO.

Tbf I think if Covid didn't exist it would of not been long before it was winded down. Look at Galactica, VR was a passing fad in the theme park industry. A phase, a lot of VR is done as an experiment, and then taken off.

The problem here is that the Ghost Train's main core experience relied on that passing fad. They put their eggs in the basket that was on fire.

• 5 weeks later...

Stumbled across this randomly: https://simonrbrown.com/thorpe-park-minds-wanted

For those who are unaware / don't remember, the big build up for the announcement for Ghost Train was around the idea of "Minds Wanted". A minisite was created to build hype for the ride, and the above link gives some insight into the creation and the ideas floating around.

Obviously we all know how Ghost Train has turned out, but anyone who remembers the build and interest around the ride in late 2015 / early 2016 would probably agree they really hit the money with this part of the marketing.

Furthermore, it gives some insight into the level of expectations that Thorpe particularly have with teaser campaigns. The teaser videos had a target of 100k viewers, whilst this eventually reached 387k when relevant, with 255k unique users. I think that's particularly interesting, as it shows that really the teaser videos are designed for a smaller audience, but they can generate a buzz when done correctly.

The Minds Wanted site is no longer active, but the videos that formed the clues are part of playlist that can be viewed here:

I honestly do not remember the Ghost Train's campaign very well, probably because I was not very interested. I think Merlin have done better marketing trains for rides. The Smiler is a amazing example. The Sanctuary- a maze that basically serves a backstory really fleshes the theme properly for me. I only got to experience it in 2014, but I do believe debuting that maze in 2012 as a teaser was genius. I also remember their was an stupid amount hype behind Smiler. And for good reason, it was a unqiue coaster that really nobody believed could be crammed into that footprint. I remember the app and game they released that slowly revealed the proper layout, and theme. The more you played the more the layout was revealed, I also remember the videos they released towards the opening that were sinister too. I think it has generated the most hype out of any ride for me.

Swarm was equally as great, roaming actors. And attempts to build the story they have created. I think the closest Merlin has got to Smiler/Swarm is Wickerman, which is decent. But nowhere near as good, The maze a year before also happened. Though The Welcoming sadly did not really invest me in the theme like The Sanctuary did.

You can view the Wayback Machine's archive of Minds Wanted here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151127043531/https://mindswanted.co.uk/

Agreed, the Smiler hype and campaign was very well orchestrated - especially considering it was Merlin's own IP. I think it speaks volumes still that it's popularity hasn't waned since the unfortunate accident either.

The Swarm's campaign I also loved, but it's interesting how that just didn't seem to strike a chord so much with people vs Smiler... maybe because people are/were sick of the "end of the world" and destruction rhetoric, where as the mysterious and different promo for The Smiler was more engaging.

I was young at the time, but on a similar note I remember vividly the Oblivion hype on park, in particular the security guard actors positioned along the perimeter construction fence.

• 1 month later...

Double posting again like the rapscallion I am.

Less than a week now until the attraction that is the future of themeparks reopens... do we think it will still have VR? Personally I can't say I'd be too enamored with the idea of putting a headset on right now, it just seems an unnecessary risk? If they have to clean EVERY headset after EVERY ride that's going to make the queue even longer & slower than it normally is too...

I think if they DO have VR still, they are going to have to make that clear from the offset/with signs outside, because if you haven't ridden before and experienced the future of themeparks, you might be a bit non plussed after queuing for it and then deciding you don't want to do it because of a potential increased risk of Covid. I'm someone who has been out and about as soon as permitted during these Covid times, gone to bars, restaurants, theme parks etc. etc. but all that said, I think a headset (even if it is just over your eyes) just seems a step too far as soon as 17th May comes - and I don't think I'd be the only one to think that?

I can't really see the "experience" working without VR either - would love to know what the future holds for DBGTROTD if this is it's last year of the IP agreement, as rumoured. There's no way on earth that thing has been worth the money. I would say that maybe only Sub Terra ranks similarly in terms of Merlin "white elephants" - but the difference is there, it probably cost a fifteenth of the budget that DBGTROTD did and has done.

17 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

If they have to clean EVERY headset after EVERY ride

You mean they didn't already?! 😄😄

I wonder if they could use something where guests slot their own phones into a disposable cardboard holder? With an app to run the VR? Wouldn't be as effective but might word for now.

Completely agree about the headsets.  Extra cleaning or not, surely this is still a silly risk to take at the moment, pressing at the same sweaty plastic box against hundreds of people's faces every day? Ew.

I'm just trying to imagine 'riding' DBGT without headsets...  Surely it's literally pointless 😆  It's bad enough with them.  

An app sounds like a good idea.  I guess it would rely on everyone's device somehow playing the video at the same time, which could be a challenge given the lack of signal on busy days.  If they turned the queue in to a tech support troubleshooting session prior to riding it could work!

I really just can't see the point of opening it again to be honest.  This would have been a good opportunity/excuse to quietly close it down without too much fanfare.
Unless maybe I'm wrong.. Do people actually enjoy it?

4 minutes ago, pluk said:

You mean they didn't already?! 😄😄

On a serious note, I believe that they were cleaned whilst you were in the show scene between the first and second VR portion. They may also have been a quick once between a group finishing and a new group starting, but there were certainly times I went on it and you would be waiting to board as a group left, leaving a very short period of time for anything to be done.

One would also wonder if any cleaning could be done quick enough.

4 minutes ago, pluk said:

I wonder if they could use something where guests slot their own phones into a disposable cardboard holder? With an app to run the VR? Wouldn't be as effective but might word for now.

I imagine it's not out of the realm of possibility, but it just seems so difficult to execute. You have to ensure everyone has the app, everyone presses play at the right time, people will have reliable signal the whole time, etc etc. For the amount of back end work it requires, plus the operational faff, I just don't see it happening.

I do wonder how the park will operate it. Merlin are still social distancing on rides. Thorpe in particular still leave empty rows between groups on Colossus for example. So how on earth will that logic work with Ghost Train? Surely Merlin can't say "people can't sit a row behind a stranger on an outdoor roller coaster, but it's fine to sit opposite one in a train carriage". And if you can't have people sitting next to each other, that takes a hit too.

A lot of the experience needs to be reworked to be suitable in my opinion, but I genuinely wonder how much they will (or even can) do.

Well we have some answers now:

https://www.thorpepark.com/explore/theme-park/rides/derren-browns-ghost-train/

You have to book a timed ticket (for free) to experience Ghost Train. Can only be done on the day, either at the entrance or by scanning a QR code outside the ride.

Interesting to note that VR is still very much mentioned on the ride page as it stands.

Supposedly Thorpe have altered a few parts of Mr. Brown's creation this year, including a "new" storyline ...

Unfortunately I'm stuck at work today so can't go down there to have a look, but has anyone else managed to get a timed ticket today? It seemed, on a quiet Monday as well, they ran out of them by midday, so I can only assume this is now a solo experience? 🤣

7 hours ago, Marc said:

Not much has changed atall - they’ve added abit more of a story told by the actor before you enter the floating carriage room which is carried on in the middle section, other than that it’s the same as previous.

You sound completely underwhelmed and unexcited here.

The thing is I think there is potential with ghost train - on paper it’s really a very good idea in my opinion, the illusion is great and the movement of the train is really good and surprises plenty of people.

I don’t even have a problem with VR, it’s the only way this attraction could work but long term for it to work it really needs a better story and more reliable VR headsets. I also think the middle section is such a letdown now, the original was the best despite the effect rarely working!

Agreed about the middle section. I don't understand why they couldn't get that effect to work reliably? It really was simple, surely they could have put the effort they did into reconfiguring that section into the effect instead and kept it going. 

That's such a non event now, something spectacular needs to happen there to make the journey feel worthwhile. The obvious answer would be some nice close up real fire effects, but I imagine that would increase the running costs too much.

It really is a mystery why the train arm effect didn't work reliably. In theory it should be a very simple effect, but I think that it was just overcomplicated to try and 'fit' in with everything else, leading to it having a mind of its own and just being temperamental. 

And in some ways, that's Ghost Train down to a tee. Much of the experience has stuff which, in their own right, should work reasonably well. But put together, it just doesn't work.

• JoshC. pinned this topic