Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Which bit has the pepper's ghost? Is it the pre-show? Because I just assumed that was a projector since DB was 2D.

On 7/20/2016 at 11:40 PM, Owen said:

I'm really confused where this confusion of the story has came from. After my 3 rides I can honestly say I could easily understand the story, Sub-Core are drilling into the ground to find a new and cheaper energy source, what they aren't telling you is that the gas they are finding is harmful to humans. Not only this but their digging has released something from underground, the monsters. I personally got all this information just from the first VR section, I don't know if my 3 (different) scenarios may have explained it better, but I personally can't see where the confusion lies...

Thing is, you've had 3 rides, and so you'll have understood the whole story. Most of us I imagine have only been on once, and if you miss ANY details during the first VR section, then it becomes very confusing. (I missed the first 20 seconds at least because I was adjusting my headset still). Now that you say all that about Sub-Core, it makes a lot more sense since I didn't hear about them on my go and just saw their name everywhere.

2 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Which bit has the pepper's ghost? Is it the pre-show? Because I just assumed that was a projector since DB was 2D.

Thing is, you've had 3 rides, and so you'll have understood the whole story. Most of us I imagine have only been on once, and if you miss ANY details during the first VR section, then it becomes very confusing. (I missed the first 20 seconds at least because I was adjusting my headset still). Now that you say all that about Sub-Core, it makes a lot more sense since I didn't hear about them on my go and just saw their name everywhere.

Yes, I thought I added this but I must've forgot! Haha. That is the main issue, not to mention with people screaming it can be hard to hear. 

Just back home from Theme park weekend away, taking in Chessington yesterday and Thorpe Park today aimed straight for DBGT this morning but it didn't open till about 11.30 so decided to go on Saw first then went back to it, only to be met by a 120 minute queue :( Anyway I braved the 2 hour wait on my own, due to it probably being our only visit this year (live in Stoke)

First impressions are WOW! Really amazed by the whole experience, VR was spot on, walking in to see the train carriage suspended was fantastic, the actors did there job well, also think it helped me riding it on my own with no Mrs grabbing on to me lol, this made me feel totally alone on the train and really did freak me out! 10 out of 10 for me.

I don't think the rides that bad, I was one of the first on rehearsal day and I found it really thrilling and in places terrifying! The graphics aren't perfect but it's beliveable in places, give it time but let's be thankful it's not a complete anti climax and the fact it's enjoyable and re rideable 

Finally got on DBGT on Saturday. Queue was 90 minutes but I figured it was now or next year as I'm unlikely to go back to Thorpe until 2017.

The building itself does look very impressive, queue line is also pretty good, the purposely ripped posters are getting more and more ripped though from guests. Thought the 2 photo points were a little pointless/annoying but at least they broke the queue up!

Preshow I thought was very good. It was up there with Disney/Universal Preshows if you ask me, hologram looked good, genuinely got you hyped for the ride. Well done there to Thorpe.

When you then see the train carriage for the first time - I have to say I was very impressed and it had the "wow" factor, very imposing and visually stunning. Same inside the tube train itself, they've excelled themselves there. Again - this part did get me hyped and excited! My VR headset seemed to work OK (though could've done with being a bit louder) - others in our group had faulty headsets though. This VR section I found pretty good (mainly because it's not computer generated!) and I did love the actor interaction and admit I did jump a couple of times.

Then we were rushed off the train (the tube station platform is very good theming wise but you aren't given enough time to enjoy it) and down a tunnel. The next part I thought was quite weak though, the static trains in the tunnels looked particularly fake (in someways it would be better if they weren't there!) - the crashing train effect was pretty good, the "monster", not so much!

Back on to the train for 2nd VR section and I must say I completely agree about the fact the graphics are "PS2" like. Really doesn't help scare you if it looks so fake unfortunately. I found this bit quite average (and a bit laughable in parts) - but some obviously were scared of it as the passenger next to me grabbed my arm when she was scared/jumped!

And that was that, back through (the very impressive) shop.

I wanted to love this ride after all the delays/hype - elements of it are awesome, as I mentioned. Seeing the carriage for the first time is simply epic and imposing. However, the whole thing just feels a bit of a mess and disjointed and I doubt if many people really got what the story was... I'm not convinced the whole fracking/monster thing really works (or is strong enough or hammered home enough to realise what's going on - yes, I know there's the Energy reference on the headsets/adverts but still) - maybe it needs to be just simpler, which at least with it being VR can be changed. Maybe having actual Victorian ghosts would make more sense in the grand scheme of things than fracking monsters! :P I'd probably say 6 or 7 out of 10 overall, elements are brilliant, but the live action part and 2nd VR section really let it down.

I'm still confused where the money was spent / wasted... I genuinely prefer Hex and Sub Terra... Maybe that's why Towers closed them, as Thorpe persuaded them to and didn't want to make the Ghost Train look any worse than it is... 

That said, if I try and ignore how much it cost, and base it on media night where they had extra actors and explained the whole attraction way better and rushed it less (though still was too big groups of people and too rushed to enjoy the experience) compared to normal operation - for a dark ride I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10... It's clear there has been a lot of thought and effort put in and some of the small touches of themeing is really nice, but the whole attraction is confusing what's going on, and its purpose. I hope people enjoy it, but there's so many flaws, and even if these get sorted which would be great, I still have an issue with the attraction as a whole and why it's the way it is, but that can't be changed. 

So went on the ghost train a few times yesterday for the first time and overall thought it was alright. The pre show and first train journey was very impressive, but thought it went downhill from there. I felt the evacuation part was a massive missed opportunity as it could've been done so much better. The whole evacuation and acting was very good, and so was the theming and sound, but the illusion itself was so obvious and wasn't well done. Like others have said, you can see its a light on a stick.

Like a lot of people have said, the 2nd train journey was by far the worst part of the ride. The VR quality was awful and footage is so unrealistic. Also all 3 times I rode there was that stupid repetitive video for like 2 minutes while they are waiting to bring the train back in to the station. Everyone was taking there headsets off and saying it stopped working or it wasn't doing anything, so was very confusing.

VR

Having only used the Samsung VR before, I was really impressed with how comfy these were and the quality was a lot better. But for a brand new ride I was shocked to see the amount of broken headsets, and even with a load closed off people managed to get headsets that weren't working or didn't have sound. Like I've already mentioned the quality on the second video was no where near as good as the first, and it also seemed to be really buggy, with floating objects and VR not head tracking for a lot of one of my goes.

From the pre show and first train journey, as well as the theming overall I think this attraction has really high potential. With improvements to the VR in the 2nd journey and improvements to the middle scene I would rate this a really good attraction.

1 minute ago, ThorpeAddict said:

The whole evacuation and acting was very good, and so was the theming and sound, but the illusion itself was so obvious and wasn't well done. Like others have said, you can see its a light on a stick.

I think this depends on how much smokes been pumped into the tunnel - when theres enough this is really quite effective (on my rides yesterday there were many people running out the way) but others its been more obvious whats going on here.

1 hour ago, ThorpeAddict said:

Also all 3 times I rode there was that stupid repetitive video for like 2 minutes while they are waiting to bring the train back in to the station

That was the "fog" bit with random lights I assume? That bit loops when there is a hold up as I understand it!

I won't go into great detail, however I went last Tuesday and rode twice. Thorpe Addict has literally summed up everything I was going to say, wholeheartedly agree (and I too got the looping "fog" for 2 minutes on the 2nd ride, very annoying).

2 of my party purchased ultimate fast track, and we received a one shot fast track for DBGT. I would like to point out it was very clearly labelled as still being at technical rehearsal stage. After watching the POV I can already see several minor changes that were not in place last Tuesday. 

First ride of the day we queued for an hour (we all wanted to go on together), I was left so disappointed I almost didn't use my fast track as I wasn't that fussed to ride it again. However, to my surprise, I enjoyed it far more the 2nd time round (bar the annoying fog!). There weren't very many changes however in the VR sequences, maybe I was just unlucky.

Really excited to have the 2nd ending - I'm secretly hoping it will be vastly different, as most people have already pointed out, the 2nd VR sequence is literally laughable. Still gutted there was no big drop at the end, that would have been amazing! 

I have a rather long list of pet peeves, however, my greatest disappointment . at no stage was I remotely tested in terms of my perception of reality. I was very aware of what was going on. 

All in all, 6/10, however I have the hope/excitement that with a bit more time and money thrown at it it has the potential to make up the remaining 4. Or I could just be setting myself up for further disappointment, only TP knows! 

I believe so MattyMoo, but we are still waiting for the 12 different experiences and the 2nd ending to my understanding. But as I say, maybe the 12 "experiences" are already there and I was just unlucky. For example I had the same character talking to me at the beginning, others had a different person each time. If that is 1 of the 12 different "experiences" however I am not all that impressed! There was a child on one journey at not the other, but those were the only changes I am aware of.

I assumed as of the press launch the ride is now live opposed to rehearsals, I went before that however. 

I mean a significant drop, to me that felt like a small tilt! 

Ha, me too, I was sooooo close to taking it off, was starting to think everyone had gotten off and I was sitting there on my own like a muppet!

When we first put the headsets on I could not see any other passenger from the very beginning, a friend has told me you are supposed to see other people around you at the beginning and they then disappear when the ghouls show up - can anyone confirm if they have experienced this? 

I had an old guy (who looked a little bit like Derren actually!) talking to me at the start, then an older woman appeared and jumped towards me in the next bit. 

Ah yes I see what you mean - that was more like a tilt. The movement of the train seemed quite realistic - but not quite Hogwarts Express at Universal ;)

I couldn't see any passengers either - as soon as the headset went on, they all disappeared!

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

I had an old guy (who looked a little bit like Derren actually!) talking to me at the start, then an older woman appeared and jumped towards me in the next bit. 

I think it is Derren, isn't it him we saw in old BTS videos of them filming something with him dressed like a homeless guy?

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic