Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I think another, cheaper Oceannearing ride looks more probable. After all, the building isn't massive and nor is Merlins's budget.

Though, I could be wrong and Merlin could have invested loads into this attraction.

A ride like Spiderman has been rumoured for a while now, but if Thorpe are promising a ride that's unique, groundbreaking and a first of its kind, then I wouldn't hold your breath on that. :)

Trackless dark rides are becoming very affordable.

If Efteling can get a trackless dark ride for £26 million in Symbolica, then I don't see why Thorpe couldn't invest in one.

I highly doubt Efteling have to worry about giving Mr Brown money and spend half of it on marketing costs though...

Project total cost is what Merlin give us, NOT the cost of the ride equipment...

I highly doubt Efteling have to worry about giving Mr Brown money and spend half of it on marketing costs though...

Project total cost is what Merlin give us, NOT the cost of the ride equipment...

I get all that. My point is simply that Thorpe are rumoured to be spending anything up to £35 million on this, which would be more than enough to invest in a trackless ride system.

I'd be surprised if this is trackless, and know that based purely on ride system, Efteling are likely investing more into Symbolica than Thorpe are on this..

Efteling are spending €42M  on this - which works out to about £32M.   Merlin are chucking £40M to WC16.  

Remember, though - Merlin have to pay Derren Brown - and possibly TFL - so... 

I thought the latest figure was 35 million euros (ie about £26 million)?  Unless that is just for the ride hardware, and the 42 million euros is the total investment cost?  

The video Efteling released said €42.  

According to the most recent stuff, the 42 million euros is for the whole area (including Polle's, etc), and it's 35 million euro for Symbolica itself: http://www.efteling.com/NL/Over-de-Efteling/Pers-en-Publicaties/Persberichten/persberichten-persberichten/persbericht-nieuw-in-2017.html:)

Anyways, we digress.  Yay, Thorpe Dark Ride Hype!

I like how the budget for Thorpe has suddenly raised £10m all of a sudden... £30m for ages, then suddenly £40m...

It's interesting on a comparison that we know all the important stats for a ride opening a year later... Including ride type... Shows how dull secrecy can be...

I noticed on the Dynamic Attractions contract award pages all of the awards state the location of the attraction except one.

"Dynamic Structures business unit has been awarded a contract from a global customer to design, engineer and manufacture the mechanical and structural systems of a media based attraction.­"

It was a $30 million dollar contract awarded in 2012. Now it does say to be delivered over 2 years, but judging how many delays we see in this industry.

Just adds a bit more clout to the Dynamic Attractions theory.

Link below:

http://www.dynamicattractions.com/empire-industries-announces-30-million-global-attractions-contract/

looking at DA website, they are looking like a strong possibility but really we dont know anything about the ride system (or even if there is going to be one).

Surely there's going to be a ride system based there, due to the fact there will be an onride moment and the plans mentioning of maintenance areas as well.

However what this will be (what's probably been debated for a long time) is still unknown. Dynamic is a name that's appeared many times before so it could well be them who build the ride system.

As long as the ride is set upon the standards of Derren's shows then this ride will hopefully be no worse than 'very good' to say the least. I have a feeling lots more is being done inside.

Efteling's dark ride will be completely different though in a good way.

Nothing about that Dynamic Attractions announcement in 2012 makes me think that this is the ride they were describing.

Derren said he was approached by Thorpe in 2012 sure, but surely the ride system needed could only be decided on once a concept was fully realised.

Plus we are now technically in the 4th year since that announcement, and it say to be delivered in 2 years.

Whilst I want this to be a Dynamic Attractions ride, and the IAAPA booth does make us think that it is wholly possible, I am still staying very wary on the whole thing.

Still Cautiously optimistic.

Derren just tweeted "on Monday my secret project with Thorpe Park will be revealed. Keep your eyes on mindswanted.co.uk"

Can't post the tweet as I'm on mobile :P So seems we're getting an actual announcen

Ooh Exciting!! For the first time in my life I can't wait for a Monday morning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To prevent any more derailment of this topic (see what I did there?), I've decided to move the school-discussion to this thread:  http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/7386-education-exam-results/page-10#entry226235- Happy schooling!

Anyways...

Anyway, back on topic, I was wondering whether this dark ride will be thrilling? On Derren's One Show interview, he said that your body would get jerked around a lot. Personally, I'd prefer a thrilling robocoaster type experience than a more atmospheric trackless experience.

I'm pretty certain this will be a "thrill ride" of some variety.  I'm guessing that Thorpe are going to be sort of alternating investments, having a thrill investment one year, then family investments for the year or two after.  Not to dissimilar to Alton I suppose.  It's the only way I could see the family market working for Thorpe right now.

How thrilling exactly, I have no clue.  But I have no doubt it will be a "thrilling" dark ride.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic