TPMs Resident DJ 2015/16

pluk

Well this went quite well last year, closed season dullness is here so lets go again, shall we?

Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care...

thorpe%20park%20jumbotron%20gallery.jpg?

... it's time to be TPMs resident DJ! For a bit of fun, to share some music you love and maybe some things about yourself, take your turn behind the wheels of steel and spin the choooons of your choice for one week only.

During your week you post a track a day under the following all new for 2015 categories:

MELLOW MONDAY - Some thing you like to relax to. Ease the stress of the start of the week with something that helps you chill.

CHEESY TUESDAY - Something you love, but maybe you shouldn't. We've all got a few.

WHATEVER WEDNESDAY - anything goes. Something special to you, for whatever reason you fancy.

THUMPING THURSDAY - dance dance dance. Thursday is the new Friday, what gets your party started?

FILM FRIDAY - your favorite movie soundtrack. Popcorn and to tunes.

SUPER SATURDAY - your hottest record in the world right now. Ending on a high, hopefully!

SECRET SUNDAY- BONUS TRACK. Something you know and love, but it seems no-one else does. Maybe a local or unsigned band, or a lesser known track from a more mainstream artist. I imagine not everyone will have something for this, so skip it if it's not for you.

Feel free to mock or share the love for that weeks DJ as the week goes on, (in fact, please do! Lets liven it up. People got away with some shocking tracks last time with insufficient repercussions!) but I ask you only post music on your week.

I'll go first as of next Monday, if you'd like to have a go comment here or PM me (might be an idea to mention if you are not around in any time soon for me to avoid) and I'll allocate you a week.

Schedule

07/12 - pluk

14/12 - Matt Creek

21/12 - Santa

28/12 - StevenVig

4/1 - Amarghh

11/1 - CoasterDude's Oasis Week

18/1 - Paige

25/1 - MorganB

1/2 - toofpik

8/2 - ItsHurtingMeInside

15/2 - Tommy

22/2 - CWOAfanMalcom

29/2 - JoshC.

7/3 - Celia Mae

14/3 - Peaj

21/3 - Graw

28/3 - Bucky

4/4 - 3Dimensions

11/4 - GladiatorFanKyle

18/4 - Mer

Great to see a bit of interest, keep the requests coming here or PM and I'll keep updating schedule.

Getting in just before midnight, not the greatest time for me to start this as I'm unlikely to finish before 22.:00 hrs any day this week. Sucks to be me.

MELLOW MONDAY - Some thing you like to relax to.

I love a bit of chill out music, really believe that listening to something can completely change your mood and outlook. Listening to the right thing at the right time can be genuinely therapeutic. Generally what feels right for me changes with the seasons, in the summer I like light 'natural' sounding music, like Bebel Gilberto or Jamiroquai, or the amazing Badly Drawn Boy. Whereas in the darker winter days I prefer more electronic chill music, like Nighmares On Wax, The Orb or Lemon Jelly, all of which deserve a lot more listening to than those single tracks.

But the best of the best, to chill me out any time, is the beautiful Sebastian Tellier's La Ritournele. Brings a tear to my eye if it catches me at the right time, for all the right reasons.

Well I didn't finish until 2AM in the end, and I'm going back in in a mo. To quote some cheese, could everyone stop gettin' shot shot shot...

So a day late already. CHEESY TUESDAY - Something you love, but maybe you shouldn't.

When this came out it was a legitimately good floor filling dance track, but has been tainted buy what they followed it up with. Which was basically the same track over and over with different words on. No matter, still sounds good on a sweaty holiday dancefloor, as do their later (and lesser) tracks.

It's the Venga Boys!

(no idea what this Oriental fella is doing on this vid? Never heard him on it before, ignore him!)

WHATEVER WEDNESDAY - anything goes

A month or so ago there there was a small amount of news reports about the death of a singer whose name was familiar to me, but I couldn't place it straight away. Diane Charlemagne, it turned out, was the singe of Urban Cookie Collective who made some fine dance pop music in the 90's, and I'm sure I half remember her from articles in Smash Hits or some such magazine that us kids used to read before the internet happened. What I didn't realise before I read about her untimely death was that she is also the singer on one of the finest tracks ever produced, delivering this beautiful beautiful vocal, she is clearly a great talent lost.

Best listened to as loud as you can in the dark, it's Goldie's Inner City Life ...

Well I've been rubbish at this, haven't I? Work has been a real bitch this week.

THUMPING THURSDAY - dance dance dance.

Always loved this, something this exciting is so rarely heard in today's club blandness. Would make an amazing dark ride theme in my eyes too. Jay Dee - Plastic Dreams.

FILM FRIDAY - your favorite movie soundtrack. 

Obviously the greatest of them all will always be Bowie's Labyrinth soundtrack, but I used that last time. Taken as a whole movie soundtrack Pulp Fiction is hard to beat. But as a single track, used at just the right moment, the ending of Leon just gets me. The film, and this track, are just about perfect. Sting - Shape Of My Heart.

SUPER SATURDAY - your hottest record in the world right now

It's not new, but it's current in that it's the theme to the best thing on TV at the moment, Toast of London. I'm obsessed with it, the album it's from Witchazel is worth a listen too. Matt Berry is my mancrush, and this is Take My Hand

So take my hand
We’ll disappear to above the sun, to far from here
Though I don’t know you and you don’t know me
I just had to talk to you, you see

The arrogance, a foolish move
If you take a risk, your odds improve
See, you don’t know me and I don’t know you
I’m not weird or queer, my aim is true

Everybody I know these days is boring me
Or ignoring me
But not you

So take my hand
We’ll disappear to above the sun, to far from here
Though I don’t know you and you don’t know me
I just had to talk to you, you see

So say you’ll come, please don’t go
You could be the one for all I know
Well, I don’t know you, though I’d sure like to
I can see the light, it looks like you

So take my hand

SECRET SUNDAY- BONUS TRACK

Local band to me, from the small town I live in, been lucky enough to see them a few times because of this. Think they might be a big thing some time soon, because they are great and also they just featured in the BBC's 6 music best albums of 2015. These things always seem to give bands a big leg up.

The Milk.

Next up, Matt Creek...

Mellow Monday- Television Rules The Nation

I start my opening with something a little different from usual.

Daft Punk has always been a band/group I have liked, one which could be described as a modern Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream in some ways. Todays entry television is one I have often been finding myself listening to and chilling out to recently, especially after a week of deadlines and plans with it's catchy and prominent melody and vocal hooks. Perhaps the fact this piece was played in a choir I've been taking part in has also helped.