Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

So air is becoming Galactica

It uses VR headsets *yawns*

I would post screenshots but I can't on my phone <\3 can't believe they have still managed to call it a world first :D

I tried to post links and somehow failed at that too :/ :o go check Alton Towers Twitter you lazy bums

Sorry for multiple edits but also worth pointing out that wearing the headsets is optional!

I am actually a lot more happy after seeing that video. I think this will be really popular with the public and can imagine it will get a lot of people talking! Not many people outside the enthusiast community have heard of using VR on roller coasters (well out of the people I know) so I think it will be intriguing to people and possibly a big hit.

Although I have a feeling this could make some people seriously disorientated and very ill :o

I'm more concerned about the implementation then the VR itself. If I want to ride Air without it then how does that work if the headsets are mounted to the crafts themselves. If that means that two trains will have them installed and one doesn't, what happens on quiet days when only two trains are in use. Will one station be VR, the other without and if thats the case, what happens on quiet days when only one station is in use? Or will Towers be forced to always run both stations which means that budget cuts will kill other rides instead. 

VR has destroyed the throughput on Alpen Express at Europa, so I'm really intrigued as to what its going to do at Towers.

Hmm, I thought Europa were the first to use VR headsets on a coaster? In which case Alton's claim is not valid.

As for the concept itself, yawn. It's an interesting idea and I'll give it a go, but it doesn't really appeal to me.

Read it again "The worlds first rollercoaster fully dedicated to virtual reality."  Alpen Express at Europa is a paid for extra, not "fully dedicated". 

Definitely an ambitious project and change, that's for sure. Having not done a VR ride yet, I am not too sure how it will compare to the original and just hope it's not too nauseating for most guests. 

No surprises in Merlin reusing the 'game changer' tag, although we will have to see what happens when it opens. I am glad there's a no VR option for those who get nauseated or want to see the ride in it's original form. I just hope the tunnel's had lots of work done and they've worked out how throughput will work. 

Though it won't open until April, I get a feeling Merlin are using tactical staggered openings here to try and keep guest figures consistant, as the park will reopen march, Galactica in April, Coaster Restaurant in May and then the peak season starts.

Read it again "The worlds first rollercoaster fully dedicated to virtual reality." Alpen Express at Europa is a paid for extra, not "fully dedicated".

I think that has to be their most cringe-worthy "world's first" claim yet.

Also, I don't like how it is being called a "new ride" (on BBC news). I can see the public reacting negatively to this if they go to Alton Towers expecting a new ride, something which could have easily been avoided by marketing it honestly.

I'm so glad they've allowed the option for riding the coaster without VR. For me Air was a great ride, and I'm not good with the whole motion simulator type-thing, so If you had to wear the headset, it would completely put me off the ride. I may try it one day, but it's nice that I still have the option. 

As for the Galactica re-theme, this can only be a good thing, as for me Air was always one of least themed coasters we have. 

I hope they try and incorporate Nemesis into the VR but from the footage it looks very good fun.

Perhaps they could have an alternative simulation for Halloween. I mean I can't imagine it's too hard to do and would be a pretty neat way to mix things up now and again, I can't imagine it's too expensive to do either.

I really like this! It seems like the perfect time to do a space theme, in the age of 'Star Wars' & Tim Peake.

Not having Mack's 'VR' headsets are interesting though... will Figment Productions be able to do to the same quality as Mack?

The marketing/promotion material is of a high quality (but it always is with Alton, it's normally the final product that you look at thinking 'what went wrong?') & I do like the back story behind this.

I think this is perfect for the new season, it's a gimmick yeah, but it's what Alton needs to make the GP think 'oh I've not see that before!' and get them to return to the park.

:)