Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

Of course it's the same rollercoaster track, but with the VR headsets and new theming, it will be a completely new experience. I think it's perfectly justified marketing it as a new ride.

I think with the track comment he was saying that the track shown in that promotional picture is clearly a Verkoma track, not a B&M one. It is the standard track they use for these kind of images and have used it many times in the past (despite no longer having a coaster of this type on site).

However if some people in the public know it's an Air retheme and others have just heard 'new attraction' from the papers, this poster may lead them all to believe it is a new coaster type thing with the VR, as the poster is clearly not Air. B&M track is very distinctive, even to the public

The only thing I can see correct in Coaster Jamie's argument is the idea of the general public being let down because let's face it they will! It's being branded as a new experiance but when people visit and find out it's just a re vamped air they will be probably less impressed :/

It's a great idea and looks fantastic and I don't disagree with the marketing technique because let's face it it will do its job of bringing new customers in and old customers back!

But going back to my previous comment about customers being disappointed I have had to deal with the confusion and dissapointment previously when working on Scorpian Express. During the first year of the revamp technical issues caused the area to be shut and when explaining to customers in the morning Scorpian Express was closed I would normally get from the parents "oh we were looking for the Runnaway Mine Train" or "hang on that's the brand new ride? That's the Runnaway mine train", "where exactly is Scorpian Express?", "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BELOVED TUNNELS ON THE RUNNAWAY MINE TRAIN *cri* </3". Some (me included) will love and understand the idea and concept of what they have done and some will love the idea of this crazy new space ride and get confused when visiting the park :S Just as a last example my parents the other night were asking me "So what's the new ride Galectica at Alton Towers?" And I was like oh lol it's just a retheme of Air.

Now I must address as well that I know Alton Towers are not labelling it as a new coaster or a new ride as such but when people read "New for 2016 - Galactica" on their website they are not going to expect riding Air with different theming yet again just stating that there will be confusion and complaints.

So yeah looks cool, I am not complaining about their marketing technique I know it's what they need to do to bring in the punters, I know if they phrased it differently it would sound lame but we can't hide the fact it's going to mislead customers. If anyone can turn around and say it's not misleading to the General Public .. Good on you ;)

The only thing I can see correct in Coaster Jamie's argument is the idea of the general public being let down because let's face it they will! It's being branded as a new experiance but when people visit and find out it's just a re vamped air they will be probably less impressed :/

It's a great idea and looks fantastic and I don't disagree with the marketing technique because let's face it it will do its job of bringing new customers in and old customers back!

But going back to my previous comment about customers being disappointed I have had to deal with the confusion and dissapointment previously when working on Scorpian Express. During the first year of the revamp technical issues caused the area to be shut and when explaining to customers in the morning Scorpian Express was closed I would normally get from the parents "oh we were looking for the Runnaway Mine Train" or "hang on that's the brand new ride? That's the Runnaway mine train", "where exactly is Scorpian Express?", "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BELOVED TUNNELS ON THE RUNNAWAY MINE TRAIN *cri* </3". Some (me included) will love and understand the idea and concept of what they have done and some will love the idea of this crazy new space ride and get confused when visiting the park :S Just as a last example my parents the other night were asking me "So what's the new ride Galectica at Alton Towers?" And I was like oh lol it's just a retheme of Air.

Now I must address as well that I know Alton Towers are not labelling it as a new coaster or a new ride as such but when people read "New for 2016 - Galactica" on their website they are not going to expect riding Air with different theming yet again just stating that there will be confusion and complaints.

So yeah looks cool, I am not complaining about their marketing technique I know it's what they need to do to bring in the punters, I know if they phrased it differently it would sound lame but we can't hide the fact it's going to mislead customers. If anyone can turn around and say it's not misleading to the General Public .. Good on you ;)

Yes but look at this We've combined the experience of our iconic flying rollercoaster with cutting edge Virtual Reality. Now you can become a space tourist through this unique combination of physically flying coupled with the breathtakingly emotional journey of travelling through space.

Pretty much every news report I've seen has. At least this one acknowledges it is a re-done Air, many articles out there read like an actual new coaster is going up which as has been said is likely to cause disappointment all round when people turn up and there isn't one.

My Mum (ie, average punter) yesterday 'oh, I saw in the paper Alton Towers are having a big new ride next year...', 'no Mum, it's just Air which you've been on with some VR goggles', 'are you sure, that's not what it said' etc etc.

The perception of what is coming could well lead to a lot of disappointment even if what they produce is really good, which would be a shame. They should make sure it's much clearer, and work with the press to get it conveyed properly. Might even have been a good idea to call it 'Air Galactica', even if just for a transitional period.

It seems like it might turn out to be yet another case of mis-marketing something causing it to be less successful than it should (and could) be.

Getting people back into the park is great and I think the marketing may work in that respect, but how long will the success last if people are expecting a "new roller coaster?"