Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

I'd think that would be the only realistic option, to have multiple sets. If they did have to clean the same headsets for each ride cycle it would either take forever or they would end up doing a rushed 'clean' to speed up time, meaning they would still end up in a pretty disgusting state. 

By all accounts the headsets will be hard wired to the carriage to stop forgetful people like me walking off with them, so nope, don't think they'll have multiple sets per train running, plus there are only 32 wireless channels available unless you front up a very large amount of money, so doubt they'll be wireless either (that doesn't even consider the lag, battery and cross talk issues independent wireless units would have).

Either that or they'll hand you a baby wipe in the staging area...

I believe it was mentioned in an article (which I cannot find now) that the parts of the headsets that go against your skin were made of a special fabric which meant that things like sweat and moisture wouldn't affect the riders' comfort in any way?

My guess for the way it will work is that there will be 3 collections of headsets per train.  One collection being used on ride, one collection given to people in the pre-show area and one collection being cleaned.  This gives an approx. 3 minute window for 28 headsets to be cleaned.  The headsets seem to connect and lock to an additional bit of the restraint, which will keep them secure, but also ensure each headset has sufficient charge for the ride.  

Of course, that all sounds very labour intensive, and will require a large about of headsets (that'd be 84 headsets for one train alone, so you'd be looking at 168 for two, and then you also want spares in case some break).  But it's the best way I can see to ensure that the headsets are cleaned, checked to see that they are working, kept safe on ride and minimise damage to throughput.

The headsets we use for FPV flying (which are mostly DIY hacked together modified VR sets since nobody can afford £300 for a set of fatsharks) have foam around the areas that touch the skin, this foam doesn't like moisture at all and if it gets too wet you have to tear it off and apply more.

I'd suspect they'll use hardenend off fabric on the ride making cleaning easier, I still think it'll be best to take a small pack of baby wipes with you.

If it were my problem to solve I'd be handing out little disposable covers, so you have a hard foam bit fixed to the headset to make the seal, and an elasticated sleeve or face wrap made from something like waxed paper for each person to use. They've shown with the 4D cinemas they are fine with the cost of disposable over washable.

The game is actually available now (on Android at least); search "Galactica Alton" and it should come up.

Unfortunately, it's not as good as the likes of Smiler and Oblivion Black Hole games, or indeed as good as games of a similar type.

Nonetheless, it is at least nice to see marketing material like this.  A completely free game, with no adverts, which gives regular opportunities to win prizes.  A good thing in my books.