Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

I just had a play around with the game, a different concept to The Smiler game... very 'Temple Run'.

The music is very 'Helix' (also a source on TST has confirmed this is the new ride music) which I love, so it'll be exciting to hear this around the ride area! 

Though I feel like 'VR' doesn't appeal to many people... its just exciting to have a new refreshed ride! 

^ haxxor

What baffles me is people are saying how this VR stuff is revolutionising the theme park ride but pretty sure it's just a more extreme simulator lol. Is anyone else not that enthusiastic about this whole VR drivel taking over and excusing rides for lack of theming?

Nope, for someone like me who cannot see 3D without a great deal of effort the whole thing is just a waste of money.

What baffles me is people are saying how this VR stuff is revolutionising the theme park ride but pretty sure it's just a more extreme simulator lol. Is anyone else not that enthusiastic about this whole VR drivel taking over and excusing rides for lack of theming?

it's probably not gonna 'take over' though, merlin say it's a 'game changer' but is that any different to the usual 'worlds first' 'next level fear' type of thing?  I highly doubt VR is going to replace a traditional ride and theming for every new investment we see :P

it's not like you have to use it either, you can ride without it.. at least in this case (with air) we're getting a slight spruce up so it's a win win in my eyes 

I think it's very narrow minded to just think that VR and AR have no place in theme parks full stop. There is clear potential in the area for great things, something different to what is out there now. There's similar negativity about screen based dark rides over physical sets and effects, and there are awful examples of screen technology being used really badly, but when it's used in the right way Spiderman happens and I'd think even the greatest screen haters can't fail to be impressed by that ride!

Whether the conversion of existing rides like this is the way to go I'm not so sure, I'd imagine things that are designed with the technology in mind will be a lot more successful. I'd hate to see it just slapped across everything though.

The difference being with Spiderman is that had been done purposely to bring multiple elements together to give a full experience. It's where VR becomes more of an excuse not to have decent theming rather than enhancing the ride itself. I don't know what Air will be like with this new update and I'm intrigued to try it, but Merlin are slapping it on multiple rides before even testing its reception which is worrying tbh

The difference being with Spiderman is that had been done purposely to bring multiple elements together to give a full experience. It's where VR becomes more of an excuse not to have decent theming rather than enhancing the ride itself. I don't know what Air will be like with this new update and I'm intrigued to try it, but Merlin are slapping it on multiple rides before even testing its reception which is worrying tbh

To be fair, they're not slapping it on multiple rides without testing its reception. They're adding it onto Galactica to see the reception, but that's it. Derren Brown is using it, but that comes under the category of "been done purposely to bring multiple elements together to give a full experience".

Also, I'm sure they've looked at the very positive feedback that Europa Park have received for putting VR on one of their rides. Don't see anyone moaning about Europa adding it on multiple rides, but then it's not fashionable to moan about Europa Park is it ;) 

To be fair, they're not slapping it on multiple rides without testing its reception. They're adding it onto Galactica to see the reception, but that's it. Derren Brown is using it, but that comes under the category of "been done purposely to bring multiple elements together to give a full experience".

Also, I'm sure they've looked at the very positive feedback that Europa Park have received for putting VR on one of their rides. Don't see anyone moaning about Europa adding it on multiple rides, but then it's not fashionable to moan about Europa Park is it ;)

Forgot that Europa had even done it if I'm being honest - idk given the ride it was put on it just doesn't seem necessary in my personal opinion. Also, bare in mind, that the mine train it was put on was already a really well themed ride as it is. What else are they adding it on?

The other difference with Europa is they are a better theme park then Thorpe is lol

for my problems with air is the original plans of theming never came to fruition and whilst VR is meant to be intended to bring in a new lease of life, I fear if this becomes successful it will soon become the norm for new additions.

In regards to derren brown I'm just going to wait till I get there as that has been purposely done because the ride is about mind manipulation etc and is using VR for its every intention.

My issues with it is compromising ride theming for VR as a way of laziness, and will its success determine whether or not we'll see any bigger theming sets in the future. With Europa I don't have that fear. Merlin, I do.

3d and VR are very different. 3D uses bipolarised light so each eye sees a different image while VR is just a screen really close to your eyes.

err nope, even in single screen devices, both eyes get a different image, the only difference between 3D and VR is VR is reactive to your head movement through head tracking (along with the majority of the view being CGI).

FPV googles do have a single screen feeding both eyes the same image, but that's not what they're selling here, if it does turn out to be this, then it's going to be even worse than expected and the ride will be closed more than it's open for cleanup, generally when you buy a set of FPV googles they tell you to only use them when sitting down and to stay still because any movement can induce sim sickness (which is where your brain cannot compute the difference between what your eyes see and what your body feels, and you puke, very quickly), I've seen people at the flying field collapse in a big heap after 10 seconds because they're standing up, yet use the same googles for hours while sitting down (my point being that even when stood up, you move, when sitting you generally don't move as much, with Galatica the entire ride moves, so unless they've gone really cheap, the view inside the googles should be reactive like VR and not static like 3D).

I haven't been on the other ride at Europa(?) that has this but I assume that if you turn your head to the left while on-ride the image on the screen will mirror the movement, rather than just being a static forward fixed point view.

I was sceptical about VR at Europa, until I tried it.....

Then it added a whole new dimension to the Alpen express, at one stage I thought I actually went through an inversion. It's very easy to be dismissive of VR, I understand that, but don't write it off entirely.

Also, Alton have confirmed that VR will be optional on Air so if you don't like the idea, don't use the VR. I hope that theme parks continue to build immersive experiences without VR and I think they will, as not everyone will ride the VR version.

• 2 weeks later...