Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

On Facebook, not like the Galactica one but vids of them testing the audio and we have heard what it sounds like. Look in the DBGT topic.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I have seen these videos and it does sound excellent; I thought you were referring to a more hq and extended portion of audio.

This is going way off topic, we should go back to Galactica.

I thought VR could work really well on a flying coaster....it doesn't IMO.

First off, what a FAFF! headsets replaced in the pouch by staff, after being cleaned by staff, restraints then raised. new riders get on, pull down the bars but not allowed to remove VR headset, you have to wait for staff to take them out the pouch. They then get wiped again and given to you. they then have the faff of making all seats are locked correctly and off you go.

The lift hill is really good with the VR, the audio is also nice, then it's all just a bit rubbish. You lose all sense of any forces from the ride and the picture quality on the VR isn't that great and shaky whilst on ride. The video doesn't really give you a sense of flying at all. My headset was tight to my face and it was still shaking around and ended up really hurting my nose.

The VR actually makes the ride seem even shorter than it already is and adds nothing to the ride for me. Now I've experienced it once, I wouldn't be bothered if I never went on it again. I have been fortunate enough to ride the Alpenexpress with VR, that was a much better experience and far more re ridable. I don't think VR is cut out for inverting coasters.

Towers have tried to polish a turd and have ended up with doo doo on their hands. The original Air was a far better experience.

One thing that is very noticeable is the lack of screams from people going around the ride, there isn't any thrill to it anymore (some would agree there wasn't any in the first place).

Wearing VR headsets, no one can hear you scream...

I haven't experienced it yet, though the reviews so far have been awful. I like the theme, but by the looks of it the VR adds nothing to the experience. It looks like it would have been better with this new theme, added theming, an immersive queue line and soundtrack, but just without the VR.

I think this is the reason they're enforcing headsets to be worn, so their 'world first' looks popular. After summer, or certainly next year they won't care if you're wearing headsets or not. A few years after that, they'll hopefully be gone completely and literally no one will care.

I assume the guys who animated the film are the cheapest too. AnimalLive for Zufari was the cheapest and look how that went down.

Went on Galactica on Saturday - was actually crying (slightly) whilst queuing because my fear of outer space is pretty bad putting it mildly (had to take a valium as I was borderline panicking) :ph34r:  - the only reason I went on was because I was with my niece and she loved Air.  I also really liked Air and was really miffed when I heard of the transformation to Galactica - but hey ho

We went on it first thing - good really as the queue time shot up to 90mins at one point during the day I believe.  Despite being the first ride and not a huge queue it seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get on.

I spoke to the ride batcher and asked if you have to wear the goggles and he told me to speak to the ride host - she sort of gave the impression that they prefer you to wear it but you don't have to - so I put the damn goggles on ready to soil my pants.....but actually I really enjoyed it (despite screaming initially :unsure: ).

The first part of the ride is really good - mainly because you can't see the manky tunnel just out of the station(!!)  It is odd because you can't tell whereabouts on the ride you are and it does feel like it is over and done with really quick.

I don't envy the ride hosts with all the work they have to do wiping the goggles down, putting them in the pouches only to take them back out when the next lot of riders board the coaster - seems like a heck of a lot of effort for a ride which, IMO was pretty good before (ok there was zero theming on Air but they could have maybe popped a couple of near misses near the track a la The Swarm).

So yeah - it's good - not amazing but its a little different.  I can imagine it could induce motion sickness on some people - I felt a tad queasy at one point and I take anti-sickness medication.  Not sure if I would rush to go on it again - I would do it again if there was little/no queue but it sort of feels like once you've done the VR bit once you're not really going to gain much by retrying it.

The music though :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was a wasted opportunity. Ironically enough, in spite of all the stories of massive queues that I had heard of previously, it seemed to run a flawless three train operation and so the queue remained at 10 minutes all day. I only had one go on 'Galatica' and I didn't think much of it all. Too brief and too rushed it doesn't have a long enough ride to create a story so it just rushes you through locations and then ends. I'd say I was disappointed but I wasn't. IF they had to have had VR it should have been on rides like Runaway Mine Train as then they could have created a story and have the ride length to justify it. On Air, it just makes a short ride feel even shorter which is quite a feat.