Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

Towers did stress when this was first announced that VR would be optional.  It was simply that VR was the big push / point of the ride now.  And it's not like the VR has been unpopular yet; most riders were opting to wear them I believe?  So I wonder if there was incident / technical problems which is forcing Towers' hand into making it compulsory?  And if there has been, why wasn't said thing foreseen and prevented...

For the same reason the moron from the CAA thinks shooting down drones over a crowded area with net fired from the ground is safer than locating the operator and simply asking them to land it themselves, lack of common sense.

If the pouch isn't holding the headset inside with the Velcro flaps, use clips instead.... duhh.

I'm going ot, sorry.

This kinda reminds me of when the Scarefest mazes had a recommended 14+ limit, and then mere days before Scarefest launched the age was upped to 15 and anyone under who had booked were forced to refund their ticket (I luckily made it in)

Alton seem to have a thing for advertising one rule and then a few days later changing it without notice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly only think the reason the headsets are compulsory is to achieve a worlds first. The New Revolution is already operating, therefore this could not be claimed as the worlds first virtual reality rollercoaster*, but it has to now be titled worlds first fully dedicated VR roller coaster.

*worlds first virtual reality coaster with no additional costs for guests.

Thanks, but that's not really what I meant, it's quiet hard to describe but the only experience I have of VR was with those really early prototype headsets that had quiet a narrow field of view, I guess the closest thing to it is using Google glass with a small mobile phone, everything works but just not quiet right (like what you'd see if you cupped your hands around your eyes to cut off most of your view).

From the video SkyNews showed it looks like everything is so big that it passes in front of your eyes so fast if you blinked you'd miss it.

You do not have to wear the VR headsets... I did on both goes yesterday, but I seen people going around without them on. The sign at the entrance isn't very clear but it simply means once you're wearing it you must keep the headsets on, as it could be dangerous to take them off and have them moving around on the string and hitting you in the face basically..

And I absolutely loved it, such a great addition to air, my only issue is the throughput..

Seems very hit and miss - certainly somone on our ride was told if they didn't want to wear it they couldn't ride.

I thought it was terrible tbh - the headsets are heavy and pretty painful to wear, they are also blury and require focusing with some small wheel - I couldn't get mine in focus I either had blurred of very blurred. The headsets also rattle about the whole ride.

The content started off well, leaving the station and going up the lift hill was effective, but after that I thought it made the ride feel shorter and wasn't very effective.

Maybe with better hardware it could be improved but then these are just mobile phones in glasses.

Couldn't beleve the throughput though - although I'm sure spinball staff are happy they are no longer on the lowest throughput coaster!!

96 degrees fov, thanks, back yonks ago I was told if you closed your eyes for 5 seconds before trying to focus, then once focused do it again, it makes things easier, your brain has to be put into a type of 'mode' to work with the glasses properly, otherwise you'll suffer blurry vision or headaches (the blurred image isn't because the focus is wrong, if the focal length is wrong you see two images, it's because your brain isn't processing the images fed to each eye correctly, hence why closing your eyes for a bit will kick start things), it's always worked fine for me but I bet it's not in the instruction manual.

Or so the theory goes. I do hope that with the advent of bendable oled's they start producing headsets with 180 degrees fov, it'll make life easier for us 3D hicks.

GALACTICA

This is my mini review of Alton Towers Resorts newest addition, the space travel/VR/flying coaster/retheme/2002 ride that is Galactica  :lol:

The Area -

The area feels alive compared to last season, the music and new sound effects work well, the station building doesn't look clunky and out of place.

I really like the nod towards the original air paving with the Galactica logo in the pavement!

I'm bias when it comes to sci-fi/space themes because I do like space but it doesn't come off as tacky, the whole theme feels well thought out and well present.

Boarding - 

The boarding experience is very painful, everyone around me was getting very inpatient and the smell of baby wipes can be too much, we got asked to move rows because one of the VR headsets on our row wasn't working, which was concerning as the ride had only been opened 4 hours that day by this time. 

Once seated, putting the VR headset on was difficult, so difficult I forgot to adjust my screen (not like I could see anything with no glasses on!). I have huge ears so I spent a good few minutes trying to unfold them!  :lol: I felt a little confused as I was just sitting there for an extremely long time, staring at the logo, which no sound or music playing.

The Ride - 

The ground dropped below our feet with no pre-warning, and the video just started out of no-where, which was disappointing as there was no build up. The actual video on the lift hill was incredible, I felt so immersed with the audio then we went into space... eh well, it was fun staring at the corner of my screen for the whole ride. 

When I did get to see the visuals, I had no idea where about I was in the ride, which made the experience feel shorter but I did enjoyed the video, it was fun and very different to anything I had experienced before, it made Air feel more thrilling and exciting for me, personally.

Then we waited for 10 minutes dangling on the brake-run which wasn't fun at all.

Overview - 

It could of been better, but it could of been alot worse. 

The boarding process as painfully slow, and the video wasn't exactly synced with the ride or made sense at points but, and this is a BIG BUT.

VR is the thing on everyone's tech lips, and the ride has got people talking, it'll certainly a Marmite ride, but the GP on my ride came off speechless and excited, and so was I. It'll bring people to the park but in 5 years time, I'm not sure what the future of this ride could be?

6/10

tumblr_o4t089IvUB1rx8d6to1_400.jpgtumblr_o4t089IvUB1rx8d6to2_400.jpg

tumblr_o4t089IvUB1rx8d6to4_1280.jpg

I know it was mentioned before that you could wear glasses with it, but now it's actually open, is that in fact the case? Not that I'd be able to experience the VR properly anyway!

You can try and wear your glasses with but it is recommended you don't, if they don't fit you either wear it anyway and don't see, or (as some guy on our first ride did as his would not fit under the headset) just ride without the headset and your glasses.

I also found the headset was clearest when quite low down on the nose (something that some with larger noses may not be able to do) but that may just be me being long sighted. Managed to get the headset to not move on only one ride of five but I had to do it up so tight I actually gave myself a headache :(

Finally! I have been waiting for forever to download this! While the ride had received mixed reviews, I'm sure the majority of sane people can say this soundtrack is amazing!

A longer version has been up for download for much longer...

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

About a minute and a half and it's about as good quality as that one. Look at the earlier pages.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Meh, it doesn't really matter. I have the 5 minutes of soundtrack I was after so I'm happy.

I'm just hoping the DBGT soundtrack is as good/better than this!