Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

Theming that is pointless though with the VR gimmick...

It's... weird... I don't get why they would add VR and then add things that go completely against the whole VR concept...

Shame Air never got the full landscaping effects it deserved...

Josh is completely right about the Lego Dimensions similarities too...

Theming that is pointless though with the VR gimmick...

It's... weird... I don't get why they would add VR and then add things that go completely against the whole VR concept...

The VR is optional though, so for those without and those just watching from off-ride I'm sure bits of theming like this will improve the ride look and add a small bit of excitement and theme/story to what is otherwise a quite bland coaster.

Also I believe this is by the first dip too which is the photo op at the moment, I don't know if that will still happen with the VR but it may be related? Who knows

Seems like a similar logic to Swarm backwards and the billboard.  Add a new gimmick and push that, whilst also adding something else to help improve the general area and non-gimmick experience.  I've no problem with it, especially if it helps the overall feel of the area.  

Interesting to note also that the plans did state the portal would be on the lift hill.  So I assumed the original idea would be that the VR would have the station and part of the lift hill as a 'launch hub' of sorts, then show a portal in the VR world taking you to outer space and whatnot.  Maybe a similar idea will happen, but with the 'launch' sequence being longer?  

But the point is that they're pushing the VR gimmick and then producing scenic elements that won't be visible to those using the VR...

It's at opposite ends of the sense spectrum really, why produce something at odds to the gimmick?

Because they know some people won't be using it due to motion sickness/vision/preference/whatever, so why not cater for them too, as well as making the ride look more pleasing from the outside?

So is the ride virtual reality or augmented reality? Because if it's VR why have a honking great Stargate if nobody is going to see it?

Haha good point! I quite like the portal/stargate/massive ring with spikes - looks pretty cool (I'm easily pleased!)

Can't really pass judgment on what they've done to Air, sorry, Galactica..... but will say that as much as I really loved Air, to say it was lacking theming would be an understatement.

From a personal perspective, I won't be using the VR head sets (glad they are optional!) - got nothing against them and if the theme was different I would try it out. Kinda gutted the theme is Space as it is one of my biggest fears (I get palpitations just looking into the sky)