Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

Great to see Galactica's opening earlier. At the end of the day it's Air mk2 so the ride system (bar the VR) will be exactly the same.

I'm hoping the pushed date is as a result of being ahead of schedule rather a rushed theming job.

Edit- actually I'm starting to reckon the reason they've pushed Galactica's opening forward may be due to the recent ongoing case with the Smiler which may as a result still be closed at the start of this season somewhat.

Towers can open Smiler when they want, it's their/Merlins decision now. Not an external factor. But, they may not want to open the ride if your story was going to still be ongoing and into the courts. With a court date settled, they may want to keep Smiler closed till after that. There was no real reason for Galactica not to be ready for start of season, maybe they had always aimed for Easter weekend but were saying April as they were hoping to just get Smiler out the way in March. Maybe Galactica would have soft opened in March. I doubt we'll know till the 19th March whether Smiler is opening at the beginning of the year or not as we all watch the Facebook pages post updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a waste to not upload that video using Facebook's / Youtube's 360 degree video stuff.

Looks alright, but it feels a bit too CGI to me at the mo?  Like I was more wanting / expecting it to feel a bit more real?  Obviously can't judge it without being there, but that's been the immediate though that sprung to mind.

That actually looks pretty good, if you know the track layout you'll know that's coming from the left station right up to almost the top of the lift hill, I wonder how good the rest of it is. It is CGI yes, but then that's all VR is.

Because if 'reasons' we only planned to return to Towers for the Smiler this year (it's a long trip for us in a 14 year old Micra), but I'm actually looking forward more to this than Smiler...

One thing which I think worth pointing out is that it's been mentioned that this is a "multi-million" pound investment in what Merlin have said is a low investment year. So it's reassuring to see that even low investments do have the backing they need to make them, hopefully, good investments.

Gotta wonder where that £5 million goes really...

Merlin do not get value for money at all with their additions... Or they don't know how to use limited budgets to really push the boundaries of creativity... Either way..........

Yeah, especially when you think about parks like Paultons - £8 million gets them two rollercoasters and a load of dinosaurs, where as £5 million at Alton gets a load of consumer grade VR headsets (£600 each), and a restaurant  (despite the fact that other food places around the park are being closed). 

First direct "review" of the ride here from express.co.uk. While they manage to make it sound really good, if you read between the lines you can kinda see the negatives.

Once the Galactica headsets have been wiped down, fitted and everyone has adjusted the focus to their liking – the ride starts.

I'm sure throughput will be amazing then...

The on-screen graphics look closer to a video game than a Professor Brian Cox documentary. But the experience is still pretty mind-blowing – especially if this is your first taste of virtual reality.

Is that a nice way of telling us they are a little crap.

Firstly, the virtual reality headsets do take away some of the thrills you'd expect from a 47 mph rollercoaster. 

Well Air never was that forceful, but maybe slightly concerning for a non-enthusiast to say that.