Containment

Ryan

1 minute ago, Mark9 said:

Seconded. They've tried twice to do the horror maze thing all season round and its never gone well. Why would this be any different.

It's different because it's an escape room, there's loads running across the country all year. I wonder if it's possible to do without having actors in. That could be something they've considered. 

The amount of people who daily ask if Saw Alive is opening would indicate there is certainly demand for it.

Enough demand for a fully fledged scare maze? Maybe not.

Enough demand for a smaller escape room attraction? We will see!

Well they're expanding their number of actors this year anyway with DB and you'd only need another 4-6 for Containment. It's another thing to advertise for summer and it could work really well. Saw Alive was really popular at first, it just faded after that. But if they're going to have Containment again for FN then why not see how it works year round. 

The thing is there's also scare mazes that are open all year round / outside of Halloween, which are also very successful. 

But there does seem to be some sort of weird scenario where these things are successful outside of theme parks, successful in theme parks at Halloween, but not so successful in theme parks outside Halloween.  Maybe Containment can be the solution to this problem, but until we get more info about it, I remain very sceptical.

8 minutes ago, Mitchada04 said:

Well they're expanding their number of actors this year anyway with DB and you'd only need another 4-6 for Containment. It's another thing to advertise for summer and it could work really well. Saw Alive was really popular at first, it just faded after that. But if they're going to have Containment again for FN then why not see how it works year round. 

Saw Alive then dropped like a stone. Nemesis Sub Terra was dropped faster then an F1 car and that included a ride section.

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

The amount of people who daily ask if Saw Alive is opening would indicate there is certainly demand for it.

Enough demand for a fully fledged scare maze? Maybe not.

Enough demand for a smaller escape room attraction? We will see!

Is that because it just sits there, on a pathway doing nothing for 6 months of a year. If it wasn't there, would any guests ask for a scare maze to do outside of the Halloween season. 

I don't know anything about Containment, I only know what it is know because of this forum. Would any guest be able to tell the difference between a scare maze and an escape room attraction realistically.

16 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

I don't know anything about Containment, I only know what it is know because of this forum. Would any guest be able to tell the difference between a scare maze and an escape room attraction realistically.

A scare maze is just a walk through with actors.  Aside from choosing a route in some mazes, there's very little active participation by guests.

Escape rooms see you locked in a room or (as in Containment) a series of rooms, where you have to put in a code / key to get out in a set period of time.  To get the code, guests are actively participating, solving riddles, searching for clues, etc.  Actors can be used to either help or hinder people, and try to scare people.  

Escape rooms require a lot more thought and detail to be pulled off than scare mazes.  The actors also need to be more focused since they're with a set amount of guests for a longer period of time.  If you don't use actors, you need a lot more work put into them as well. 

42 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't understand why that would be the case, Steve?

That's what happens with anything that has actors at Thorpe, bar IAC

Just going by track record, but yes, you are right, it is an escape room rather than a scare maze.

Wouldn't surprise me if even DBGT actors were pig snorters

I still think this would make a great after hours attraction aimed at the hotel guests for evening entertainment. If I was offered a fun little escape game for £10 and an excuse to get out of the room for a bit I would definitely bite. Add in a champagne reception at the bar and a small prize for winning and that's a damn easy sale imo. 

Ooh yay, so it is becoming a permanent attraction. I can barely contain my excitement...

In all seriousness though, why is this happening? Another actor led experience, because we all know they always work out in the long run.

Containment wasn't that good anyway. The £10 fee (and even the £8 MAP discount) was way too much for what it was and it wasn't scary. It does depend on what people find scary however.

Hopefully they can make this work, but if they don't it will just be another useless, horrible looking waste of space *glares at Storm Surge*

9 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Containment wasn't that good anyway. The £10 fee (and even the £8 MAP discount) was way too much for what it was and it wasn't scary. It does depend on what people find scary however.

agreed. hopefully the either focus on making it scarier (as it was advertised at fright nights), or don't advertise it as being scary as hell and make the attraction focus more on the fun of escaping the rooms (ie: more better explained puzzles and more interaction). at FN it was advertised as one of the scariest attractions, yet it was probably the least scariest. the actual finding of clues and stuff was good but not fun/interactive enough in my opinion, and the scares were way too lackluster/nonexistent for me to consider it a scare attraction. I feel like they need to make their mind up of what it is and focus solely on one aspect, either making it a really good and fun escape room attraction or making it a really dark and scary attraction mixed with escape room elements. I felt last year they tried to ride a fine line between the two and failed. I still had fun though, just probably wouldn't pay for it again if nothing has changed

7 hours ago, Dodge2002 said:

I still think this would make a great after hours attraction aimed at the hotel guests for evening entertainment. If I was offered a fun little escape game for £10 and an excuse to get out of the room for a bit I would definitely bite. Add in a champagne reception at the bar and a small prize for winning and that's a damn easy sale imo. 

I never thought of this. This would make sense due to it being located near the dome. I would certainly do this on evening rather than suffer the "hotel entertainment"

• 3 weeks later...

so, with the confirmation of DBGT being about a dangerous gas leak due to a fracking accident....I could definitely see thorpe retheming containment so it links with the new ride

Edited by Tom
Spoilers for DBGT

• JoshC. unpinned this topic