Why visit 2 theme parks instead of the same theme park twice?

LP57

I am currently a final year university student undertaking a dissertation on whether innovation can cause repeat visitation to the same theme park. I am trying to find out how significant an impact innovation has on potential visitors when deciding to visit theme parks. If you have visited two different theme parks I would like to know why you chose to visit a different theme park instead of returning to the first one you visited? Do you think that innovation such as new rides, shows, new areas of the park or improvements to existing rides, shows and the use of mobile applications and devices could have caused you to return to the first park instead of visiting a different theme park? I would also like to know how your experience was affected by the park's use of technology (e.g. mobile apps to find out wait times or to book fastpass tickets)or by new rides, shows and themed restaurants?
Any information provided will be kept anonymous and confidential and would be greatly appreciated.

Well I live close to TP but I find myself making the 6 hour round trip to Towers around twice a year. This is purely due to to the rides. I find the rides exciting and the theming is far superior to that of TP. Also, all the rides have an exciting innovative section that makes the park unique. I.E: Th13teen's track drop, oblivions black hole, The Smiler's inversions or Air's flying position.

In terms of technology, I don't use a lot. It's really just a queue times app that I find handy.

If you have visited two different theme parks I would like to know why you chose to visit a different theme park instead of returning to the first one you visited?

This is almost too simple a question to answer for me.  I haven't visited many different parks, so the key reason for visiting new parks is for new experiences, new rides and so forth.  But that hasn't meant I haven't returned to ones I have already visited.  

However, for a better answer to the question...  I'm in the process of planning what parks to visit on a road trip this year, after doing a larger one last year.  I'm returning to some parks, but not all of them, and visiting a couple of new ones.  The reasons why the group of us decided not to return to certain parks is because we felt like we'd "done" the park sufficiently (and there was nothing particularly new that caught our attention), and even if we enjoyed those parks, the same amount of money could be spent to visit entirely new parks, which goes back to meaning we can ride different rides, get new experiences, etc.

So I guess the reason why I visit new parks is because it means you get to try something completely different.  It's not a case of a park being bad, but simply wanting to explore more.

Do you think that innovation such as new rides, shows, new areas of the park or improvements to existing rides, shows and the use of mobile applications and devices could have caused you to return to the first park instead of visiting a different theme park?

Definitely, yes.  All the parks I visited last year that I'm visiting this year in the aforementioned trip are adding in new, major, attractions.  So, they are a big factor for returning (especially so quickly).  Whilst I wouldn't want to say I wouldn't have visited some of those parks if they didn't have major new additions, it certainly would have made the decision of whether to visit them less clear cut.  It's less a case for visiting a different, new, theme park, as everything is new to you at the end of the day.  Of course, some parks can get a ride that makes you think "YES, I need to go here", but that's not always the case for me.  

Things like mobile apps / technology make no different on me wanting to visit a park or not.  I visit for the parks themselves, and whether they have an app, a Fastrack style system, virtual queueing or whatever bears no decision on whether I visit.  

I would also like to know how your experience was affected by the park's use of technology (e.g. mobile apps to find out wait times or to book fastpass tickets)or by new rides, shows and themed restaurants?

As I say, I'm not that bothered by things like mobile apps and Fastrack, so those things tend to not bother me.  I'm more a paper map person, I prefer to find out when a ride opens / closes, and how long its queue line is, by looking at the park's queue time boards, or looking at the length of the queue itself.  As long as a park offers those sorts of things, I happy.  If not, it makes the day a bit more awkward to plan (especially if the park is busy).

New rides are only a factor I think of when returning to a park.  If I like an new ride, then of course, it gives an additional positive experience.  If I dislike it, then I guess it depends on how much I was looking forward to it as to whether it's truly affected my overall experience at a park.

Themed restaurants are an interesting one.  If a ride has an associated food place / shop (especially if it is truly incorporated into the overall experience of an attraction), I like to go there and try it out.  It completes the overall feel of the ride; by not going there, you miss out.  It's not a must for me, I don't feel like I've missed out if a (major) ride doesn't have an associated food place or shop.

Stand alone themed restaurants are a little different.  Since you're usually there for quite a while (if you're sitting down and eating in there, chances are you'll be in there longer than you're on any ride), the surroundings can leave a lasting impression on you.  So themed restaurants are a great way to help make sure guests have memories of the park in their heads for longer.

---

Sorry for the rambling; hope they are of some use to you.  Best of luck with the dissertation! :)

I would visit a theme park either based on: new additions for stuff like Thorpe Park and because of its accessibility, or because it has the full package. Just because Disney World doesn't get a new ride one year, it wouldn't stop me from going.

For example. if Thorpe Park was in another country, however, I'd probably go once and never return again, unless it offered a new ride addition that was unlike anything anywhere else. Parks like Europa and Disney offer something more than just new attractions and the reason people return to them is because of it is the full package. It has a wide selection of rides, shows, themed areas and are #1 for customer satisfaction and experience. That is not so much of a priority from my experience with Thorpe and other Merlin parks.

It depends on the park doesn't it?

Some parks, deserve visiting several times, others deserve a singular visit (usually to get the cred) and very little else... Although sometimes you discover the odd gem of somewhere along the way on those 1/2 cred parks, so it's often a case of just visit everywhere you can... At least that's what I do...

New rides always tend to drag me back, often sooner than anticipated (Efteling), though it does depend on the park and ride in question, as I don't really have an interest in returning to Walibi Holland anytime soon, yet I'll defo visit Plopsaland next year primarily because of Heidi, but also the park is fantastic... It's very unlikely that a new show would get me to return though, as they are always the side attraction bonus instead...

Parks that have queue times available via phones (app or webpage) need to happen more, as they are very, VERY useful things to have... Helps plan the day a little bit better whilst still feeling like you're exploring the park at your own pace... Whilst I've not experienced Disney's Fastpass+ thing in Florida, I don't like the idea of having to plan your entire trip weeks before you visit, it just lacks fluidity to me, a regimented march around the park so you can get the 13:10 slot for Space Mountain does not sound fun to me...

If you have visited two different theme parks I would like to know why you chose to visit a different theme park instead of returning to the first one you visited?

It is totally about Rides for me. I live down the road from Alton Towers (13 minute drive). So go there at least twice a month normally. There are 3 rides I do at towers as a rule.

Nemesis. - Still no experience like it.

13 - really fun little ride.

Hex - I love watching the reactions of people in the ride room but also really like the darkness of it.

Do you think that innovation such as new rides, shows, new areas of the park or improvements to existing rides, shows and the use of mobile applications and devices could have caused you to return to the first park instead of visiting a different theme park?

That depends on the innovation, If that innovation is a new thomas the tank engine area then no it does not tempt me to visit. If that innovation is a new ride/event/gadget that excites or interests me then I will. Mobile apps tend to help you first time you go (navigation etc) they dont tend to drive repeats.

I would also like to know how your experience was affected by the park's use of technology (e.g. mobile apps to find out wait times or to book fastpass tickets)or by new rides, shows and themed restaurants?

I always use ridetimes.co.uk for alton towers ride times. That makes me decide where to go within the park. I disagree with the concept of fast passes so wouldnt buy them.

Well I live close to TP but I find myself making the 6 hour round trip to Towers around twice a year. This is purely due to to the rides. I find the rides exciting and the theming is far superior to that of TP. Also, all the rides have an exciting innovative section that makes the park unique. I.E: Th13teen's track drop, oblivions black hole, The Smiler's inversions or Air's flying position.

In terms of technology, I don't use a lot. It's really just a queue times app that I find handy.

I'm not sure if this will help LP but just for discussion, do you feel this way though only because of how far away Towers is. If for instance you lived 10 mins away from Towers would you say the same about Thorpe.

^ If Towers was 10 mins away I'd visit it a lot. But, I'd also occasionally go to Thorpe (even if it was hours away). I've also been to Drayton, Flamingo land and Lightwater Valley. I know these parks are no where near the standards of TP and AT but they have new rides that I haven't been on. So I guess that's all I want in a theme park, lots of different rides that have unique experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

Also What is it about a new theme park ride that attracts you to visit the park? Is it the novelty, variety, the thrill etc.?  Could new rides cause you to return to a theme park you've visited before and if so please explain why?

Any information provided will be kept anonymous and confidential and would be greatly appreciated.