Importance of Newness & Storytelling at TPs

LP57

I am currently a final year student and would appreciate any information that helps me complete my dissertation. All information provided will remain anonymous and confidential. So I am trying to find out what is it about the newness of rides that excites you and how important do you think it is for TPs to tell a story through each ride? Finally I would like to know if there are some rides that you go on that give you the same amount of enjoyment no matter how many times you go on them and why do you think that is?

What is it about the newness that excites?

I don't think it is the newness that excites. If, a theme park got a new ride and it was aimed at the under 5's then to be honest I wouldn't care about it at all. That isn't the kind or ride that would get me to go to a theme park. It is only when a new ride is interesting, unique or recommended via word of mouth that I start getting excited.

How important is it to tell a story in each ride?

That totally depends on the ride. A rollercoaster doesn't need a story, but a story can add to the experience. BUT, whatever the ride, I think it needs to guide you through an experience. To be honest it depends what you want to do. If you want to tell a story the story is the important part and the ride system is just a vehicle to tell that story. If you just want to give a ride then that is equally fine. I prefer being told a story, but only if that story is engaging and full. If not then I don't see the benefit over a basic ride. The fact that Nemesis is a monster has no affect on how frequently I re-ride it but it did excite me the first time I rode.

Are there rides that give you the same enjoyment each time?

Yes, Nemesis (brilliant ride), Hex (watching newbies on it is fun) and 13 (also the reactions of people who have never ridden is priceless) at Alton Towers

What is it about newness that excites?

Its the unknown really. Not knowing how an experience is going to finish or affect you emotionally. This can be true on clone rides such as SLC's where they can ride quite differently.

How important is story to a ride?

It's not completely important at certain parks, for instance I wouldn't expect a Six Flags park to go all out on stories. At some parks like Disney or Universal it's essential and a ride can fall down on this aspect alone. 

There are very few that can match that first ride. And in some ways a lot of rides actually increase there enjoyment over time such as Nemesis Inferno. 

Lots of things, it depends on the ride/area though. I'm not at all excited for something like Valvran at Cedar Point, as it's not an exciting prospect, however something like Reign of Kong is exciting because it's an interesting concept and Universal's track record is of high quality.

As mentioned, some ride types can be unexciting like kiddie coasters, but the Farm area at Djurs Sommarland was something I was quite excited by because it looked amazing, which it was.

Depends on the ride, most of the time many rides can be enhanced by a storyline (Baron 1898 is a perfect example), however that is not to say that rides without anything more than a basic story or one very open to a person's interpretation of it are any less (Nemesis another example).

Then you have rides that have no story at all. But then again such rides are generally part of parks that don't carry a cohesive theme around so it doesn't negatively affect the emotions in any significant way as a result. Cedar Point and many Six Flags rides are like this.

Plenty rides out there that provide the same level or indeed a superior level of enjoyment as they age. Inferno is a great example from Mark above, but also some of the dark rides at Efteling I could ride forever and still spot something I'd not seen before.

Often as well there's enjoyment to had from revisiting old rides and seeing the difference in experience. Oz'Iris for me last year was like that, as I'd truly forgotten how good it was, although there's also cases when a revisit can cause the opinion to go downhill as the ride has become absolutely dreadful.

Having something major that entices excitement. Whether that be a new coaster, immersive dark ride or unique water ride, it can be an addition which offers something different in that park that hasn't been seen before.

There are of course times when I'll be more excited for some rides more than others. For example, my excitement for something like a GCI woodie or B&M than something like a gerst. However if the park went all out on theming, landscaping etc. Interest would spike. My interest in flats is generally low unless again they're well themed or unique.

Things along the lines of CBeebies land and Thomas Land have no interest to me.

Depending on the ride, it can be highly important. At a park like Disney or Universal, it should be a given. The same can be said for dark rides where unless it's a coaster, using one is paramount. Of course fairs and amusement park rides don't necessarily need a story due to the nature of the parks.

Select number of rides achieve this, including Nemesis, Megafobia, Joris, POTC,TOT and BTM.

Some rides even get better upon re-riding like Baron 1898, Swarm, Air and Valhalla actually improve.

Although in some cases enjoyment can drop. This has happened a few times on rides like The Smiler & The Big One.