Fear on a Ride

I hate launches! That moment when you are just about to be propelled forward is absolutely bloody terrifying [emoji33]! After it goes I'm fine with the rest of the ride; it's just that moment of anticipation.

My first Fright Nights (2014) was also terrifying too! I still remember standing outside the S13 entrance and feeling as if I was going to throw up! After I came out I couldn't get enough of horror mazes [emoji1] (well good ones anyway, unlike Thorpe in 2015 [emoji52])!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate launches! That moment when you are just about to be propelled forward is absolutely bloody terrifying [emoji33]! After it goes I'm fine with the rest of the ride; it's just that moment of anticipation.

My first Fright Nights (2014) was also terrifying too! I still remember standing outside the S13 entrance and feeling as if I was going to throw up! After I came out I couldn't get enough of horror mazes [emoji1] (well good ones anyway, unlike Thorpe in 2015 [emoji52])!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of agree with you about launches, but that's why I love them. The best coasters are the ones that no matter how many times you've been on them, you still get a little nervous, but afterwards you're completely buzzing.

This happens for me on Stealth, I get a bit nervous which is why I love it so much. I went on it 13 times in a row once!

Due to this, one of my top to ride is Dodonpa at Fuji Q Highland. Although I'd be pretty nervous in the queue, I'm sure that no launch (not even formula rossa) can match the intensity of Dodonpa (contains the world's fastest acceleration and the most negative G force on a coaster).

Due to this, one of my top to ride is Dodonpa at Fuji Q Highland. Although I'd be pretty nervous in the queue, I'm sure that no launch (not even formula rossa) can match the intensity of Dodonpa (contains the world's fastest acceleration and the most negative G force on a coaster).

Not too recently I had quite an obsession with that ride.

I just can't get enough of that name:

DO-DON-PA

Have you heard the station soundtrack? (It's not really a soundtrack at all but I can see it making one feel rather tense)

Not too recently I had quite an obsession with that ride.

I just can't get enough of that name:

DO-DON-PA

Have you heard the station soundtrack? (It's not really a soundtrack at all but I can see it making one feel rather tense)

The drumming? Yes.

It is supposed to trigger you so that you feel more scared as your heart beat will match that of the soundtrack. I believe the name Dodonpa is also meant to replicate the sound of drums.

I've read into this way too much. ;)

The drumming? Yes.

It is supposed to trigger you so that you feel more scared as your heart beat will match that of the soundtrack. I believe the name Dodonpa is also meant to replicate the sound of drums.

I've read into this way too much. ;)

I've searched for station footage many times lol :lol:

Now I know where the name comes from (I've attempted to use Google Translate, it didn't work).

If you ride this for your first ride, congradulations you can now ride absolutely anything ^_^

I have had a fear of drop towers each time I do one I still get nervous even if I've done it before Drop towers still scare me only rides that do still frighten me.

You are braver than me - I just can't bring myself to do Detty anymore.  Will happily do things like Magma at Paultons or small drop rides but Detonator is just evil!

I was at the station of oblivion but decided not to ride but my companion did.

You would be absolutely fine on Oblivion - if you can handle and enjoy drop rides, Blivvy is a piece of cake!

Ah, never do that! To help cure ride fears, I made a thing called "station rule". It's where as soon as you enter the station area, there's no going back (unless as member of staff says otherwise). It makes you think, and doesn't mean you let yourself down.

That's a good idea actually - this might sound odd but I think once you get into the station, if you leave you are in a way re-enforcing your fear by saying to yourself that the ride (in this instance) IS to be feared.  Example of this - years ago I was queuing for Vampire ride - just about to get on and I had a huge panic attack (I'd only ridden it a couple of times before and was not into coasters at all back then) - went to the exit and felt worse.  Another example (I'm rambling - apologies! - if I am out and get anxious, the very worse thing I can do is to turn back and go straight home because it is again conformation that there is something to be feared.  Usually I work through it but sometimes anxiety gets the best of me - anxiety when it comes to rides (whether it be the height/speed/inversions, whatever really) is kind of expected especially if you are going on something for the first time - hence why having some support is always good.

I kind of agree with you about launches, but that's why I love them. The best coasters are the ones that no matter how many times you've been on them, you still get a little nervous, but afterwards you're completely buzzing.

This happens for me on Stealth, I get a bit nervous which is why I love it so much. I went on it 13 times in a row once!

After my first ever ride on Stealth I vowed never again (have since ridden it loads though) - I was bricking it because of the height but it was the actual launch that scared the bejezus out of me.  I'm completely fine going on it now - the only time I get a tinge of anxiety is my first ride after closed season because you kind of forget how intense it is :ph34r:

What does the Colossus 4 barrel rolls feel like? Would it be quite sickly for one of my first inversion coasters?

It literally feels like your inside a washing machine. Spinning and spinning and spinning! I would recommend you to try Inferno as your first coaster with inversions. It's smooth, not too fast, and very fun!! It was my first inverting coaster (way back in 2011), and I've recommended it to pretty much everyone for their first inversion coaster [emoji4][emoji106]

Which row/ side is the best for swarm? Forces/ near misses

For me it's the back right. Super intense and the first drop is insane as you slowly drop. For near misses I'd take back left but for me back right provides a great moment on the low banked curve where you practically hit the water. Either way, back row is the best.

For me, who has yet to do lots of inversions, is front row better left or right?

I believe the right is the side which goes over the drop as it were, so it wouldn't be great if you're scared of the prospect of being inverted as it can feel quite slow, so I'd say left could be better as I find that side comparably tame and floaty too!

I generally feel that left side of The Swarm is gentler - my first ride on it I sat front row, on the left (on the inner seat) - if you want force, go for the back.  The restraints are so comfy you may fall asleep on the lift hill :lol:.  I've sat front row on both left and right sides - prefer the right but as a starter I would go for the left purely because of the first drop

As for Colossus the 2 things that bothered me when I first saw it (even though I had followed the construction online) were the vertical loop and the inline twists/heartline twists.  I was going to ask if there are any inversions that particularly cause anxiety? - for me it was verticaly loops which is odd as they are one of my favourite inversions now.

The inline twists on Colossus are actually pretty fun and I think look worse than they are - I always find it quite relaxing to shove my arms up and let them dangle whilst going through the twists.

I generally feel that left side of The Swarm is gentler - my first ride on it I sat front row, on the left (on the inner seat) - if you want force, go for the back. The restraints are so comfy you may fall asleep on the lift hill :lol:. I've sat front row on both left and right sides - prefer the right but as a starter I would go for the left purely because of the first drop

As for Colossus the 2 things that bothered me when I first saw it (even though I had followed the construction online) were the vertical loop and the inline twists/heartline twists. I was going to ask if there are any inversions that particularly cause anxiety? - for me it was verticaly loops which is odd as they are one of my favourite inversions now.

The inline twists on Colossus are actually pretty fun and I think look worse than they are - I always find it quite relaxing to shove my arms up and let them dangle whilst going through the twists.

Yup. They're heartline rolls by the way.

image_zpsytoajrju.jpeg

Left - inline twist. Right - heartline roll

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Gonna confess - the biggest ride I've ever been on is Dragon's Fury. That's why I tend to avoid speaking about the bigger rides.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Not a problem; we are all different, especially when it comes to "physical". There are plenty of people of all ages, who will not go on anything, even Dragon's Fury. Never worry about what others think, and enjoy what appeals to you.  Some people just enjoy the Parks, and watching other people on the rides. Some, just put on a performance but will be going on, whilst others go on, but don't actually want to be there; I would not do that.