Fear on a Ride

13 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

It's happened with Colossus, Smiler (both of which we were outside for an hour or so), Galactica, Oblivion, Swarm, even Vampire, and now Rita. The only ride I've ever walked up to and just got on (that I've been scared of) is pretty much Wicker Man. I still don't know what I can do about this. Maybe I just need to find a ride that's way less intimidating to look at.

We are all different, and have different perceptions of everything in life, everything. If we were not different, then there'd be one heck of queue for what you did like. We don't have to like everything either, but to ride it once gives you the information to have an opinion on it.

Never worry about the things you don't fancy doing, it'll give you more time to do the things you liike. If someone has the time to criticize you, it's their brain cells they are wasting, enjoy your time.

Well said Mr Planenut!  It’s important to take things at a pace you are comfortable with - an example of this in my case is that having conquered my fears of the big coasters at Thorpe, it took me 3 years of visiting regularly before I felt able to do both Slammer and Zodiac.  What helped me massively was my friend @Flipper who was so supportive (he also got me on Samurai for the first time and Swarm backwards).  

And as I’ve said before, I was 32 before I conquered my fears so there’s no rush to get out there and face your fears until you are ready - I personally wish I’d done it sooner because in the past I’ve spent so much time being the bag holder!

• 1 month later...

As good as any other coaster really is. I would still say inferno, galatica or swarm are the best first upside down coasters.

Anyway, now that I have conquered my fear of upside down coasters, the next major thing is more intense flat rides that go upside down (not spinny flats which start to make me feel ill). Thus, as I'm planning to visit Chessington soon, what does Ramses Revenge feel like and does it make you feel ill?

10 minutes ago, TPC said:

Thus, as I'm planning to visit Chessington soon, what does Ramses Revenge feel like and does it make you feel ill?

Obviously haven't been on it - but when I went with my friend he came off it, looked me in the eye and says it was something I can't repeat here, so I think you should be fine haha.

Speed at Oakwood is blimming boring after you’ve done Saw. The queue is agonisingly long even if it’s a few people and it’s just not a hugely thrilling experience. The loop is admittedly good considering Saw doesn’t have anything similar to it. 

Provided Rammy actually works when you go on it, it’s not really a big deal. You’ll get wet, ranging from splashes to a right good soaking, depending on where you sit, but it’s not too bumpy. It runs tamer than it used to though according to people that have been on it for many years. 

21 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

How's Speed at Oakwood for a first inverting coaster?

You have already done Galactica right? That kinda counts as upside-down, heck the fly the lie element on Airlatica is more intense than most of your usual inversions such as a corkscrew and a loop anyway in my opinion.

I'm guessing Speed wouldn't be too bad, it doesn't seem as rough as Saw so it should be a fairly good ride to get you used to inverting.

21 hours ago, TPC said:

what does Ramses Revenge feel like and does it make you feel ill?

Rameses used to be quite intense though these days it runs fairly sluggish so it will probably bore you more than anything.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:24 PM, TPC said:

As good as any other coaster really is. I would still say inferno, galatica or swarm are the best first upside down coasters.

Anyway, now that I have conquered my fear of upside down coasters, the next major thing is more intense flat rides that go upside down (not spinny flats which start to make me feel ill). Thus, as I'm planning to visit Chessington soon, what does Ramses Revenge feel like and does it make you feel ill?

Agree about galactic-air, Swarm or Inferno for good starting Coasters.

Rameses you’ll be fine on - I rode it a few years before properly conquering my fear of coasters - and before I discovered motion sickness tablets - so I’m pretty sure you won’t feel ill on it (I once was sick after I missed a dose of my anti sickness meds and rode Quantum ?).

Rameses is ok but you only get one cycle these days - that said when I went on it a couple of weeks ago we got a good few flips on it but the water fountains weren’t working and it was a scorching hot day.  It’s definitely one of the tamer upside down flats I’ve done and a good one to start with.  Much like Slammer (RIP) I think RR looks more intimidating than when you are actually on it

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done speed though I've done saw/rage/mystery mine
you get the stomach feeling down the drops but I wouldn't call it "intense" the best I'd say is just kinda relax as its happening, scream if you have to, you'll be fine, you just gotta do it ? 

12 hours ago, Coaster said:

Make sure you go on Megafobia, it's outstanding.

I did go on Megafobia (new favourite coaster from the one go I had), but not Speed. Mainly because it looked too intense for a first coaster and I was satisfied enough with my day to give it a miss.

Literally that airtime hill looks so quick it could break my neck :P

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

I was in Southend last night but only for football and we didn't have time to go to Adventure Island. I'm going to Thorpe Park on Friday with a friend, probably going to go on Colossus first. Hopefully this visit is the one.

You can do it - I’d recommend Inferno before Colossus but whatever way works for you - just go for it ? might be worth taking some paracetamol as Colossus can be rough depending where you sit.  I always carry headache tabs to theme parks as they charge about £500000 for a pack 

42 minutes ago, Han30 said:

You can do it - I’d recommend Inferno before Colossus but whatever way works for you - just go for it ? might be worth taking some paracetamol as Colossus can be rough depending where you sit.  I always carry headache tabs to theme parks as they charge about £500000 for a pack 

The thing is the drop on Colossus looks a lot less steep and more akin to something I'd have been on before.

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

The thing is the drop on Colossus looks a lot less steep and more akin to something I'd have been on before.

Ah that makes sense - honestly once you overcome this fear (and you will) you’ll probably wish you’d done it sooner - but it’s never too late - I was 32 when I faced the big coasters at Thorpe and I’m gutted I used to be the one holding the bags when I could have been enjoying the rides.  Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and take things at a pace that you are comfortable with but at the same time you have to push yourself a little bit to overcome the fear - it’s not easy but it’s worth it!

3 hours ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

Please just force yourself to ride and enter the queue. It's never easy but you will be the one who gets annoyed with yourself afterwards if you don't ride. I had the same thing and remember rides that look scary tend not to be too bad as you imagine.

Yup rides tend to look so much scarier or intimidating than they actually are.  With the exception of Detonator which just fools you into thinking it’s quite tame.

Years ago I swore I would never ride Oblivion and my first trip to Towers back in 2013 I’d done the big rides fine, forced myself on Blivvy and actually cried up the lift hill - but now it’s one of my fave coasters.  Was worth crying like a baby ? and grabbing my friends hand to face the fear!

Today was unsuccessful due to reasons that had nothing to do with the coasters at all. Something happened while at the park and I didn't feel like sticking around to go on anything.

EDIT I've spoken with my friend and my parents and we all agree Thorpe maybe isn't the best place for me, both because of the rides and the people usually there, so we're looking to sort a trip to Alton Towers soon. Considering I was likely going on Inferno before the incident I mentioned above, it should be easier at Alton.

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Today was unsuccessful due to reasons that had nothing to do with the coasters at all. Something happened while at the park and I didn't feel like sticking around to go on anything.

EDIT I've spoken with my friend and my parents and we all agree Thorpe maybe isn't the best place for me, both because of the rides and the people usually there, so we're looking to sort a trip to Alton Towers soon. Considering I was likely going on Inferno before the incident I mentioned above, it should be easier at Alton.

What happened mate? By the way you described it, it sounds like you got into an altercation with a member of the public.

I'm aware that chavs roam free at merlin parks but it's easy to ignore them and carry on with your day.