Fear on a Ride

I just sit back and close my eyes on the vertical lift hill, mainly because the sun get's in my eyes and I have a lazy iris which can give me an instant headache, but I would imagine it would help for someone with a fear of heights, you don't really reslise you're climbing vertically, it's quiet smooth until you're near the top.

16 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

What's the best coaster for me to start on at Thorpe if I'm scared of G-Force, the drops (kinda) and slightly of inversions (considerably less scared of inversions)?

G-Force is a very different type of ride, most people find the upward climb very uncomfortable, no similarity at TP, unless the vertical on Saw compares for you.

We are all very different, in our physique, and attitude to the rides, so I always suggest for a nice, smooth introduction to inversions, go on SWARM. Do not miss out on Flying Fish, it's good. Nemesis Inferno is very good as with the pendulum action, you feel the ride differently. Take your ear-rings out for Colossus.

Enjoy your time there.

1 minute ago, planenut said:

G-Force is a very different type of ride, most people find the upward climb very uncomfortable, no similarity at TP, unless the vertical on Saw compares for you.

We are all very different, in our physique, and attitude to the rides, so I always suggest for a nice, smooth introduction to inversions, go on SWARM. Do not miss out on Flying Fish, it's good. Nemesis Inferno is very good as with the pendulum action, you feel the ride differently. Take your ear-rings out for Colossus.

Enjoy your time there.

Aha, not G-Force the ride, G-Force itself. I've also been on Flying Fish.

41 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Aha, not G-Force the ride, G-Force itself. I've also been on Flying Fish.

Doh, sorry.

Interestingly, you can adjust your position and get different G effects on some rides. Confident with the safety of the restraint, I prefer them loose.

42 minutes ago, Han30 said:

I never bother only because I have 13 and would be there forever

Don't you get ringing in the ears? I'll make a suggestion as to what that might be..........

I'm really not sure, when I was thinking "I am gonna do this" I didn't really take height into account. Also not sure if I wanna do a floorless coaster to start with, but apparently Colossus is a bad coaster to start on... I may just leave it til I go back to Towers, hopefully later this Summer.

15 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Sorry for double posting but whats Inferno like in comparison to Vortex. 

Cant really compare Vortex to Inferno as one is a flat and ones w coaster. They are both very fun and not too scary rides though. They were both among the first big rides I did at Thorpe a good 4-5 years ago now. 

They are both great starting rides to do to introduce you to the more thrilling rides there.

58 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Whats the G force like on those two

I would say there is no positive G on Vortex, maybe.5, it's a large swing, and you can experience a float off the top of swing.

Nemesis Inferno follows a track and due to the ride flowing around the outside of loops and rolls, one can be subjected to up to 4.5 g,  really good fun. 

1 hour ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Didn't end up going on anything.

Well you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last. We are all different and I know of three people who actually belong to Coaster clubs, but who never go on coasters.

Did you enjoy your day? I suspect that's a "yes",

My wife did over a dozen visits before she went on a coaster.

If you can get over your fear of heights, Swarm in a left-sided up front seat (not front row) is the best place to start imho, it's fairly easy on the g. Nemesis is not too bad, but as a RAP'r Sam they'll bundle you onto the back row, which is probably the worst place for g.

My wife's first looper was Nemesis, she then did Swarm and said she'd wished she'd have done Swarm first as it was less intense, don't worry about the inverts, you're as close to being inverted as you can be on Vampire on the corner after the photo point and you've done that plenty times.

I don't particularly have a fear on most rides, I really enjoy the thrill of flying around all over a roller coaster. With ONE exception. I'm not even scared of heights but DROP TOWERS are my Kryptonite. I have managed to get myself used to Detonator and BPB's Ice Blast, later this year I'm going to attempt the one at PortAventura (300ft high) and then Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens next year, if I can force myself to get on the ride, I figure that once the harness comes down there isn't much you can do about it so shut your eyes and go for it!!

11 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

My wife did over a dozen visits before she went on a coaster.

If you can get over your fear of heights, Swarm in a left-sided up front seat (not front row) is the best place to start imho, it's fairly easy on the g. Nemesis is not too bad, but as a RAP'r Sam they'll bundle you onto the back row, which is probably the worst place for g.

My wife's first looper was Nemesis, she then did Swarm and said she'd wished she'd have done Swarm first as it was less intense, don't worry about the inverts, you're as close to being inverted as you can be on Vampire on the corner after the photo point and you've done that plenty times.

As Ian said, SWARM is great for a smooth introduction to inversions.