iOS Thorpe Park Mobile Application & Virtual Queue

Aaron G

Question

Hi, I haven't posted before on TP Mania - however have hovered on here for a while.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the official Thorpe Park application for iOS, which disappeared a year or two ago. I know the application was very poorly made and could have been better, but the live tracking times of the rides were useful enough to use whilst at Thorpe Park.

I know Merlin have released two applications in recent years, the first being in 2010 and the second a 'revamped' app in 2012. Both we're not updated regularly and eventually disappeared from the relevant app stores.

I am very disappointed to see this still has not been replaced by Merlin - What is everyones views on this? Does anyone know any further details on this?

In 2014 (I believe) thorpe park launched a 'mobile' website which included live times for all of the main rides and FREE fast track. All you had to do, was register on the way in at the dome - then register for the next ride you want to go one on the mobile website, a few minutes later (depending on queue times) you would get a notification with a QR code which you could scan on the way into the fast track queue to the specified ride.

This was a brilliant system, it was essentially a 'virtual queue' for Thorpe Park.... I can also not find any information about this at all.

Does anyone have any information at all on this or have you used the mobile site also?

EDIT  - Found the virtual queueing system - https://www.reservenride.com/#

10 answers to this question

Thanks for all the replies everyone :). I personally found R&R a great system, no queuing at all on my last visit. I can however see the counter argument of those that don't use the system, having to wait longer in the queue. However that isn't a flaw of the system, just people not wanting to use technology or not enough communication of the system by Merlin.

I'm not sure on everyone else views, but I definitely see a future with no queuing necessary and a well made application that can do everything, from tracking live times to booking into a queue for a ride and perhaps also being able to contact staff via live chat easily within the application - say to ask whether a certain ride is closed, ask what the hold up is with a ride, or to check on something quickly - would definitely improve customer experience.

I feel that Merlin aren't willing to invest in these type of applications or technology improvements however... I mean even the mentioned attractions.io built apps above look a bit half hearted. It looks like a company has made just one app and will rebrand as and when necessary to be honest.

Does anybody know, whether Thorpe Park support contactless payment throughout the park? - I assume so, will be wanting to leave the wallet at home on my next trip and easily grab a drink with the apple watch :)

As said, Reserve 'n' Ride is a separate system to fast track, it was trialled a few times last year but haven't heard much about it this season. Went well if you knew about it but if you didn't and just queued normally it was horrific.

Back to the apps, haven't heard about the Thorpe one for a while... However Chessington have a quite good app running at the moment that they seem to be pushing quite a lot at the moment, so maybe it's that goes well they may consider doing something similar for Thorpe :)

When you get into the maths of the RnR system you quickly realise that virtual queuing for everyone doesn't work and will not reduce your queue time. However you can find the 20 page argument discussion on that on the RnR thread as I don't really fancy repeating it here. As for contactless payment I have no idea.