Planning for a Thorpe Park Trip in about two weeks

First of all I've just joined this forum properly (though I've been looking on it for months, I've only just created an account) so if I've posted this in the wrong board then I'm sorry - I wasn't a hundred percent sure where it would go.

So I'm planning a trip to Thorpe Park in about two weeks (9th and 10th of July). Needless to say I'm very excited for it. However, I have quite a few questions that I'm not sure on (first time going to Thorpe Park). Again, I wasn't sure where this would go but I presumed that me posting a ton of individual threads on Quick Questions wouldn't be the best idea, so I've put them all into one post.

1. How much is it for a single Fastrack? I know these get pushed a lot by the park from what I've read, and there are packages for groups of rides, but if I just wanted to get one for, for example, The Swarm, how much would I pay for one?
  2. Do the coasters have front row queues? This is more of just a 'what if' in case I feel like going front row for a ride, but do the coasters have front row queues like Nemesis does at Alton Towers? I'm considering trying front row on The Swarm as it looks amazing.
  3. Can you choose which side to do on The Swarm? I want to do both sides and I hope that if I've done, for example, the left side first, the next time I ride can I request going on the right side? 

4. Which flat ride is good to start off with? Have to admit, never done any thrill flats before, but I want to start. 

5. I'm staying at the Shark so on Day 2 I have unlimited Fastrack until 11:00 - where should I use it? Obviously you'll know much more than me about it, but I do have some ideas. I was thinking either Amity Cove for Stealth (and it's not far from Nemesis Inferno) or Lost City for Colossus and all of the flats. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

6. And finally, though this may sound wimpish, the biggest thing I'm worried about is that indoor drop on Saw (I'm not good with drops in the dark). What is it like? 

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place or is a bit much. I'm a bit planning-crazy and I like to know what to do and how to do it. I'd really appreciate it if you gave me some advice on these things.

Thanks,

first time user Mermalizer :D

1. £6 for big rides. £3 for smaller ones

2. Nemesis Inferno, Colossus and Stealth all have front row queues, the other coasters don't.

3. Yes 

4. I'd go with Vortex, it's just very fun. (Single rider queue too)

5. The lost City and Saw tend to get huge queues, so I advice that area of the park.

6. Honestly that drop is really small and after lots of riding I've finally realised it's tinyness. The only thing that makes it frightening is the near misses prior to the drop. I'm sure you'll absolutely love the ride.

Hope this helps!

^ What Charlie said, lemme just add a little more.

Saw, and Swarm both don't have front row queues. If you got a batcher it's tough luck, if not you can choose to queue a tiny bit extra here anyway.

Vortex/Rush are fantastic beginner rides, especially vortex. Rush is amazing if you haven't learnt to stomach airtime & floatiness.

Use your fast track for as many coasters as you can, focusing on Saw & Colossus as they get the biggest queues.

The indoor drop on saw is really fun. It's quite intimidating, even if I've ridden it something like 60 times, however it's really cool and as said, quite short..

Here's a couple tips. When you get there, try and be at the gates at 9:30. From the entrance head straight over to Saw & Colossus, as these will be quiet until about 10, where they'll be busy for the rest of the day. Swarm bottle necks a lot of guests, so definitely definitely do not do it first. At the end of the day it's queue dies massively so thats a good time to do it. Have an early lunch, and do Stealth around 12-1:30. It's queue seems to be the shortest around then. If Inferno is running properly it normally eats queues, and no matter what the queue time says, if it's in the zig zag bits it's normally no more then half an hour. You're going on busy days, so be prepared to queue. The worst thing you can do on days like when you're going is to walk round aimlessly trying to find a short queue, as they will all be long, so once you've done your first few rides, be prepared to queue, even if it's quite long. Other then that you should be able to get everything done in 2 days, esepcially considering the hotel fast track.

8 minutes ago, Mermalizer said:

First of all I've just joined this forum properly (though I've been looking on it for months, I've only just created an account) so if I've posted this in the wrong board then I'm sorry - I wasn't a hundred percent sure where it would go.

So I'm planning a trip to Thorpe Park in about two weeks (9th and 10th of July). Needless to say I'm very excited for it. However, I have quite a few questions that I'm not sure on (first time going to Thorpe Park). Again, I wasn't sure where this would go but I presumed that me posting a ton of individual threads on Quick Questions wouldn't be the best idea, so I've put them all into one post.

1. How much is it for a single Fastrack? I know these get pushed a lot by the park from what I've read, and there are packages for groups of rides, but if I just wanted to get one for, for example, The Swarm, how much would I pay for one?
  2. Do the coasters have front row queues? This is more of just a 'what if' in case I feel like going front row for a ride, but do the coasters have front row queues like Nemesis does at Alton Towers? I'm considering trying front row on The Swarm as it looks amazing.
  3. Can you choose which side to do on The Swarm? I want to do both sides and I hope that if I've done, for example, the left side first, the next time I ride can I request going on the right side? 

4. Which flat ride is good to start off with? Have to admit, never done any thrill flats before, but I want to start. 

5. I'm staying at the Shark so on Day 2 I have unlimited Fastrack until 11:00 - where should I use it? Obviously you'll know much more than me about it, but I do have some ideas. I was thinking either Amity Cove for Stealth (and it's not far from Nemesis Inferno) or Lost City for Colossus and all of the flats. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

6. And finally, though this may sound wimpish, the biggest thing I'm worried about is that indoor drop on Saw (I'm not good with drops in the dark). What is it like? 

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place or is a bit much. I'm a bit planning-crazy and I like to know what to do and how to do it. I'd really appreciate it if you gave me some advice on these things.

Thanks,

I started writing this before others posted their replies, so sorry if any of this is repeated but I didn't want to put any of this to waste.

Having been to Thorpe Park 21 times (the 21st time was today) I'll be able to answer these.

1. A single fastrack for the larger rides is £6 and for the smaller rides is £3.

2. Colossus, Stealth and Nemesis Inferno have front row queues. Swarm doesn't have a front row queue, but as there aren't any staff at the gates you are allowed to wait for the front. Saw doesn't have a front row queue either, whether you get to choose your row really depends on the staff (some days you just walk to a row of your choice, other days you're assigned a row).

3. You only get to choose which side you go on when it's not crowded, sadly on busy days they'll assign you to a side.

4. If you want to start softly, ride Vortex as it is very graceful and will get you into the motion of flat rides. If you want to start big, ride Rush or Slammer as they're the more intense flat rides (which will get you into the motion).

5. Lost city queues tend to build up quite quickly and become rather long so I would recommend that area.

6. The indoor drop, I'm not gonna lie, it's an intense drop. However, it's over very quickly so you will not be struggling to breath or blacking out halfway down. It does mentally prepare you fully for the outdoor drop (the 100 degree drop).

Welcome to the forum Mermalizer, there is some sound advice on here already, so I'll not add too much more. Check on the TP official site for opening times as they do vary.

It's odd how people still want to "lunch" at lunch-time, my kids grew up knowing that one eats and drinks in the queue, if one of the party wants the loo, then all go. If the weather is hot, make sure you keep drinking; also if the weather is to be hot, and you like the wet rides, then do them before 11a.m. as that will give you plenty of time to dry out in the next queue, 'cos that ought to be the longest one you want to join.

Sus out where you can leave your bags for a while, rather than using/paying for lockers. Single rider queues will only be useful if you are on your own, but watch the queues as low numbers means it's quicker to join the main queue.

1.30p.m. the SWARM queue disappears totally for about 45 minutes. Linger for the last rides of the day, as some may be walkon from the previous ride. Most trip buses board at 4.p.m. so then the queues really drop. If someone wants to pass you in the queue to join their friends, then politely suggest that you don't mind, so long as all their friends now queue behind you.

As already suggested, don't do SWARM first as that gets the biggest queue, people still "need" to ride the newest ride first.

Enjoy your time, and chat to people in the queues, some of them are on their own, and on their first trip.

Oh, and don't miss out on Slammer, and don't let them do the restraint too tight, once locked it cannot move, looser, then you can.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:44 PM, Mermalizer said:

Thanks,

Hi there - I'm probably going to end up repeating what has already been said but here's my opinion for what its worth :wacko:

1) Single fastrack for coasters is £6 (I also think but not 100% sure if Storm Surge and IAC maze is £6 as well) - other rides are £3

2) Inferno, Stealth and Colossus have seperate areas for front row queuing - with The Swarm just head to the front row air gates although you will probably be waiting a bit extra (it's worth it though)

3) I would say on the majority of my visits to the park (and I've been around 70 times in the past 3 years) that you generally get to chose which side you want to go on on Swarm - obviously if it is really busy they might tell you which side to go to but I'm sure you'll get both sides done over 2 days

4) No one has mentioned Quantum?!  Ok it isn't a thrill ride but it is a bit mental at times (I did actually vomit after going on it once when I forgot to take my motion sickness tablets).  I guess aside from Quantum, Vortex is a good one to start on to get you used to the feel of flats

5) I would use it at Colossus/Lost City and Saw: The Ride - possibly Samurai if you have the time

6) Not at all wimpish - I am not a fan of drops but Saw is my fave coaster at TP.  For me personally I found my first ever go on it, because I wasn't expecting the drop it was a bit of a shock.  Also, weirdly I find the indoor drop more intense that the main drop (still not sure why?!) - but don't let that put you off going on it - the main thing that I was worried about before I first went on Saw was that vertical lift hill.

1 hour ago, planenut said:

Oh, and don't miss out on Slammer, and don't let them do the restraint too tight, once locked it cannot move, looser, then you can.

THIS is very good advice - I stupidly asked the ride host to literally ram me into my seat a few weeks ago, and he did - and I could barely breath - twas very uncomfortable.

Not really sure what else to add - just have a fab time and if you can, try everything at least once (although it took me a long time before I finally tried out everything there) - try not to be put off if something looks scary - you'll probably end up enjoying it.  Slammer looks horrifying when you watch it go round but it not anywhere near as bad once you ride it.  And Detonator looks relatively tame and it isn't.  You can get a digipass for digital prints of on ride photos which work out a lot cheaper than for individual printed out ones if you wanted to have memories of your time at the park.

Hopefully Derren Browns Ghost Train will be open when you visit.....although who knows with that thing!

Yes, @Han30 good advice there, and IAC's fast track is £6. Not sure about Storm Surge though. 

Also, dont miss out on some of the parks water rides. They don't get much attention but they're all great fun. Obviously no Loggers this year but at least there's Rumba which can be great fun. Storm Surge, whilst it is ugly, massive and short, it is quite a fun ride if the queue is short, which is a rarity. And, don't forget Tidal Wave, but then again it's hard to forget when you see that splash everywhere...

(Oh, and this photo was taken from Depth Charge, another water ride)

IMG_20160320_152246.jpg

9 hours ago, Han30 said:

Hopefully Derren Browns Ghost Train will be open when you visit.....although who knows with that thing!

I'm hoping it is - or at least I can get a preview as a hotel guest (since I'm staying in the shark) but I'd rather it would be open properly so I can hear the reactions first.

11 hours ago, planenut said:

Welcome to the forum Mermalizer, there is some sound advice on here already, so I'll not add too much more. Check on the TP official site for opening times as they do vary.

It's odd how people still want to "lunch" at lunch-time, my kids grew up knowing that one eats and drinks in the queue, if one of the party wants the loo, then all go. If the weather is hot, make sure you keep drinking; also if the weather is to be hot, and you like the wet rides, then do them before 11a.m. as that will give you plenty of time to dry out in the next queue, 'cos that ought to be the longest one you want to join.

Sus out where you can leave your bags for a while, rather than using/paying for lockers. Single rider queues will only be useful if you are on your own, but watch the queues as low numbers means it's quicker to join the main queue.

1.30p.m. the SWARM queue disappears totally for about 45 minutes. Linger for the last rides of the day, as some may be walkon from the previous ride. Most trip buses board at 4.p.m. so then the queues really drop. If someone wants to pass you in the queue to join their friends, then politely suggest that you don't mind, so long as all their friends now queue behind you.

As already suggested, don't do SWARM first as that gets the biggest queue, people still "need" to ride the newest ride first.

Enjoy your time, and chat to people in the queues, some of them are on their own, and on their first trip.

Thanks! You seem to have some good protocol for what to do at Thorpe - I'm with a few other people, but I'll try and convince them to have lunch at a different time (but my parents won't be going on the big rides, so chances are they'll guard the bags).

And I definitely won't be missing out on Slammer - since it's the only one in the world, I kind of feel a sense of 'now or never' with it (as well as its reliability issues, though it seems to be getting better?). So I'll try and get a go on it sometime.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:44 PM, Mermalizer said:

1. How much is it for a single Fastrack? I know these get pushed a lot by the park from what I've read, and there are packages for groups of rides, but if I
  2. I'm staying at the Shark so on Day 2 I have unlimited Fastrack until 11:00 - where should I use it? Obviously you'll know much more than me about it, but I do have some ideas. I was thinking either Amity Cove for Stealth (and it's not far from Nemesis Inferno) or Lost City for Colossus and all of the flats. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Over two days I shouldn't think you would need to worry about buying fastrack, especially as you have it for part day on day two. Save your money (and the small part of your soul you sell to the devil buying it) for something else.

Looks likely DBGT will be open for you!

4 hours ago, pluk said:

Over two days I shouldn't think you would need to worry about buying fastrack, especially as you have it for part day on day two. Save your money (and the small part of your soul you sell to the devil buying it) for something else.

Looks likely DBGT will be open for you!

Thanks for the advice. :D My main concern with the Fastrack is that because it's July, the queues will be pretty big (and my parents are slow walkers), and it's a five hour drive from my house so I can't go often, so I'm concerned about not getting on everything. I was really only thinking about Fastrack for maybe one or two rides, and obviously the morning on Day 2.

I'm hopeful about DBGT being open. Now I'm worried about Slammer though. 

July is an odd one. Often what happens is as lots of schools are going during the week or have been recently the number at weekends dips a little to what it would otherwise be in late august. Also as its early summer the major crowds are not yet pouring into Thorpe. You will be looking at queues of around an hour but if you get there early, go round the park right, keep looking at the queue times and heading to the shortest you will easily get it all done without the need for fastrack. The distances are small so slow walking is hardly an issue. 

As for your full throttle rotating free fall experience of slammer (think they might have dropped the full throttle bit when they changed the announcements) best of luck, maybe it will be nice and open for you. 

• 2 months later...

Alright, tell me straight - I'm going to thorpe this friday (16th) but the weather is looking pretty naff. It's still early and weather forecasts in this country tend to be not that reliable, but if it ends up being what it says it will be, how much will it affect my day?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/thorpe/tw20-8/daily-weather-forecast/330995?day=7

I need a plan, people!