FIM Speedway

yeah

Surely there must be someone on here who watches Speedway? The British Speedway GP has just happened here in Cardiff at the Millenium Stadium for the 15th year in a row, won by Swede Antonio Lindback with Brit (and 2015 world champ) Tai Woffinden in 2nd. If you've never watched Speedway, here's a good example of a race. Chris "Bomber" Harris, who broke his nose in the Semi Final just before this, winning the 2007 British Grand Prix (he finished bottom this year with one point in total :unsure:)

Basically there's 23 heats, 2 semis and one final in a Grand Prix meeting. Red Helmet = Starting Gate 1, Blue = Gate 2, White = Gate 3 and Yellow = Gate 4. 1st Place gets 3 pts, 2nd gets 2pts, 3rd gets a point and last gets none. If there is a crash, if any riders are at fault they will be disqualified from that heat. The referee can call back all four riders. At an unsatisfactory start if the starting tapes are not broken all four riders return. If the tapes are broken that rider is dqed. Top 8 riders via points go through to the semis, with top 4 in SF1 and 5th-8th in SF2. In order of the leaderboard they choose their starting gate for the Semis. 1st and 2nd place go through to the final. In English League meetings there are 15 heats, no set gates with the 2 home riders per race in red & blue helmets with the away team in white and Yellow. Normal points, and each race there can be a score of 5-1, 4-2 or 3-3. Team with the highest points wins! The bikes have no brakes, and no gears. Here's another two videos that showcase how tough (and crazy!) These people are:

(Chris Harris again)

9 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Big motorsport fans here, whether it be two of four wheels, only saw the final tonight, forgot it was on despite numerous fb updates from a friend in the stands.

Yeah Lindback looked like winning it from the start. Won his first 3. All the Brits started badly but Woffy picked up and finished 4th in the standings, Danny King (wildcard) was very good after a few races but unfortunately missed out. Only 2 crashes, both came in the first heat, even in the two invalid runs Lindback was first at the time. What team do you support Ian? We were Wimbledon fans before rabid dogs took over their stadium. Most of the teams around us are closing down, I would say I'm more of a Somerset fan because that's where we used to go the most. Pretty much just try to go to the nearest meeting now, trying to squeeze in Birmingham when we go to Towers.

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Ian-S said:

Our local track is the Eagles, but to be honest the last time I went I was your age :lol:

I think I've been to Eastbourne, currently ours is Rye House, and that's quite far which is annoying. Normally we just go wherever is close. We're going to the new National Speedway Stadium soon to watch the World Cup final in the same week were going to Towers. 

• 3 weeks later...