Possible Expansion

ThemeParkLover

I've noticed that abbey lake is slowly being filled in over the last few years on Google Earth. Now you can clearly see that Thorpe park is creating more land for possible future rides. This is a large area and could be used for a long overdue roller  coaster. I also noticed a pathway from behind the station of swarm leading to this possible new area of Thorpe.

image.png

When I had a talk from someone in the thrills workshop recently they were showing this image and telling us that is all owned by Thorpe park. He said its the likely area for there next big investment and they are keen to have a pathway from Stealth to create another 'circle' 

I can really see Thorpe creating a new attraction( I doubt a Rollercoaster) on the land from loggers and the old railway. I noticed from saw the other day that it looks like they could be doing some work on the area.

When you think about it Thorpe has a lot of space to expand. Does Merlin own most of the surrounding land?

I think behind swarm will be the most likely destination for the long awaited coaster

image.png

Sorry for double post... I saw a theory that Thorpe were planning a new themed area. I know the maps aren't very accurate but on the 2016 map it's changed Canada creek area to the 'old town' and says area under construction. There are also some old western looking buildings by where the loggers entrance was. I know the map isn't the best source but also after all the speculation about a woodie at Thorpe it would fit the theme. I've heard there's been soil tests around the old railway and behind swarm, could Thorpe and towers be getting a woodie? I know this sounds very unlikely but it's interesting to think about. There probably won't be a coaster there as I don't see the room but this could be a new area and they could open platform 15 as an all year round scare attraction like they did with saw alive with the addition of the saw area. I don't think loggers will re-open and if it does definitely rethemed possibly to this new area. This probably won't happen but it's interesting to think about since the area isn't used.

Island behind swarm was left for the ground to settle however it is highly likely that has now happened. It has a 50m height limit and a track length of 900m maximum. That being said the MTDP is almost at an end and a new one will need to be submitted in the next couple of years. 

The loggers leap area is not designated as a development area however that doesn't stop them building there. I believe it would be a fantastic area for a woodie and a water ride. 

Until surveying of the site (tripods and a civil engineer in a high vis vest) the park won't even know what they are going for. 

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 1:59 PM, ThorpeAddict said:

When I had a talk from someone in the thrills workshop recently they were showing this image and telling us that is all owned by Thorpe park. He said its the likely area for there next big investment and they are keen to have a pathway from Stealth to create another 'circle' 

Hi from what I heard. The land behind Swarm and also land were The Shark hotel is could be used to build new rides in the future.

34 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

There needs to be some way of connecting The Swarm to Stealth. Having to walk around Tidal Wave is rather annoying considering how close they are to each other.

Thats what they were saying at this talk, if they develop this other island behind Swarm the plan is to connect it to Stealth, so basically this new island will connect Swarm and Stealth together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2016 at 9:14 PM, ThemeParkLover said:

I know Thorpe will probably keep slammer and samurai for a few more years but when they do go what should they add there. I've heard talk of a topspin but I don't really think it would be a good addition. Also that would only fill the slammer space. 

If they did have to add a new ride in those areas I think they should add a ride like pandemonium at drayton manor and I think they should add a slingshot ride or like vertigo at oakwood

45 minutes ago, Callum_ said:

I think they should add a slingshot ride or like vertigo at oakwood

But aren't those types of rides pretty tall, I doubt it would fit in the height limit.

Plus the throughput is pathetic, unless they make it upcharge.

I place my bets on a Gerstlauer Skyfly, or maybe Merlin will pull a "Six Flags" and add Larson Loopers and market them as coasters..

1 hour ago, imindetonator said:

I place my bets on a Gerstlauer Skyfly, or maybe Merlin will pull a "Six Flags" and add Larson Loopers and market them as coasters..

Skyfly falls in the pathetic throughput category too I think, unless they can develop one which is seated all the way round.

I'm quite partial to those loopers as a filler ride. Wouldn't really complain about on.

When people mention flat rides, consider this

Since Merlin took over the parks, the only flat ride added to the UK theme parks is Kobra. And some people would call that a roller coaster. Even if you consider the Carousel at Chessie and new CBEEBIES ride, that's 3 flat rides in 9 years

Just some food for thought 

27 minutes ago, pluk said:

Skyfly falls in the pathetic throughput category too I think, unless they can develop one which is seated all the way round.

Yeah Skyfly's aren't the best with throughput. But Slingshot/Skydivers throughput is intolerable, maybe even worse than IAC.

20 hours ago, CharlieN said:

Yeah, I'm up for a Larson Looper.

Considering the fact that the park will not have had a coaster for 5 years (in 2017) then I'm sure anything that can possibly be  marketed as a coaster will go down well. 

This is a good point, and one which always left me concerned from a marketing perspective.  Can Thorpe continue to grow and bring people in with no new coasters for an 8 year period  (assuming 2020 is the next big investment and is a coaster)?  Without good medium sized investments, I'm not sure.

As I've said 100 times, I'd love to see the park invest in racing/duelling Vekoma junior boomerangs.  Great family investment, but fun for everyone, a legitimate and easy-to-market world first, visually stunning, decent enough throughput and come at a good price.  

The only issue would be space; even by removing a flat ride, it wouldn't be easy to achieve.