yeah

Because it's the latest fad, or next big thing and Merlin won't want to miss out, just like live action attractions were all the rage a couple of years ago, hopefully it's a fad that'll last about as long as 3DTV's did but you're right, the only rides it is any good on are the ones that are slow enough to allow you to appreciate the effects.

Totally agree. VR on rollercoasters is so fast that before you have time to take it all in, the ride has finished. Kind of feels like a VR demo. When I tried it out the motion didn't sync properly with my headset so I was moving in different directions to the VR. I felt really motion sick at the end.

I'd rather have a new experience built around VR than a retrofit, but hey it's cheaper to do that and pretend it's a new ride. (Quite literally with Galactica's Vekoma Track adverts :glare:)

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Daniel.S312 said:

Would like to see new trains with lapbars may make it smoother too.

I will agree that it is something that would make Colossus bearable, but it just won't happen ?

The track is too thin for the new lap bar trains (based off the fact that the track using the new trains is wider). Plus it's Merlin, they'll see 3hr queues for it and assume everything is alright as it's "popular".

23 hours ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I will agree that it is something that would make Colossus bearable, but it just won't happen ?

The track is too thin for the new lap bar trains (based off the fact that the track using the new trains is wider). Plus it's Merlin, they'll see 3hr queues for it and assume everything is alright as it's "popular".

Altair says high.

With a lot of work and adjustments, lap bar Colossus would still be possible, although unlikely. 

Unfortunately I can't see them ever changing the restraints unless they had to, given the way things tend to work. Whilst it would help smoothen the ride, I get the impression the roughness is also down to the track design too and assuming that's the case will probably never be replaced. 

With the exception of woodies (which need track replacing anyway every so often), Disney and Universal are the only companies that have (and can probably warrant the cost of) retracting existing rides.

1 hour ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I honestly wouldn't mind if Colossus was removed and replaced with something bearable.

Before 2016, I would complain about its removal. Now, I would be happy on the conditions that its replacement would be better.

Aye- agree with you there.  Last year it was just mega rough for me (horrific at the back) so I didn't actually bother riding it much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2017 at 2:14 PM, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I honestly wouldn't mind if Colossus was removed and replaced with something bearable.

Before 2016, I would complain about its removal. Now, I would be happy on the conditions that its replacement would be better.

Have to agree with that big time. It would be sad to see Colossus go when it does eventually go because of how much it raised Thorpe parks profile but it is just getting to a gwazi level of roughness now. theres plenty of space there to easily make a great replacement when they choose to do so.

There will be a time somepoint in the future where Colossus will most likely be replaced, as unfortunately one day the ride will be too old to operate and not to mention the ride's apparent structural difficulties (relating to the ground situations).

It's also worth mentioning there is only one major area of park expansion currently, two if poor Loggers has gone forever. Further infilling at the park is currently not an option as the formation of new land often means existing land must be flooded to compensate the loss of water.

A wild guess of when Colossus screws out of the lineup, would be when the coaster reaches 25-30 years of age, given the timeframe when most other steel coasters before have kicked the bucket, whether that be Corkscrew, Rattlesnake (PWH) or Big Bad Wolf. 

This would imply it could be around 2027-2032 (assuming Thorpe hopefully still exists) when the ride is potentially up for removal and replacement. Based on current trends should they continue, the park would've seen at least two large investment years between then, with the island next to Swarm used for one of these investments. But this is all very far ahead in the future and who knows what will happen then.

Colossus in the present is almost 15 years old in it's sixteenth year of service (scary how long it's been around now) and theoretically middle aged (as steel coasters go). Will the ride receive more than escential maintenance year such as a paint job or adjustments? Probably not.

All I can say is, enjoy the ride now whilst it's around. For some it may not be the best or as good as Swarm or Stealth for example, but it's the ride that put Thorpe on the map. 

6 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

There will be a time somepoint in the future where Colossus will most likely be replaced, as unfortunately one day the ride will be too old to operate and not to mention the ride's apparent structural difficulties (relating to the ground situations).

It's also worth mentioning there is only one major area of park expansion currently, two if poor Loggers has gone forever. Further infilling at the park is currently not an option as the formation of new land often means existing land must be flooded to compensate the loss of water.

A wild guess of when Colossus screws out of the lineup, would be when the coaster reaches 25-30 years of age, given the timeframe when most other steel coasters before have kicked the bucket, whether that be Corkscrew, Rattlesnake (PWH) or Big Bad Wolf. 

This would imply it could be around 2027-2032 (assuming Thorpe hopefully still exists) when the ride is potentially up for removal and replacement. Based on current trends should they continue, the park would've seen at least two large investment years between then, with the island next to Swarm used for one of these investments. But this is all very far ahead in the future and who knows what will happen then.

Colossus in the present is almost 15 years old in it's sixteenth year of service (scary how long it's been around now) and theoretically middle aged (as steel coasters go). Will the ride receive more than escential maintenance year such as a paint job or adjustments? Probably not.

All I can say is, enjoy the ride now whilst it's around. For some it may not be the best or as good as Swarm or Stealth for example, but it's the ride that put Thorpe on the map. 

Not sure I can agree with you here. There are plenty of steel coasters around that are deep into their 30's and 40's. 

It depends on the reliability and the rides popularity IMO.

For example Nemesis will most likely be around for a long time due its reliability and due to the ride being loved by many.

Colossus on the other hand is fairly rough, and the ride hasn't aged very gracefully at all.

I don't see Colossus being removed anytime too soon, but I definitely think the ride has started to decline.

Even some of the GP have seemed to notice how rough the ride's gotten recently..

Interestingly, back when I was going to Thorpe on a weekly basis back in 2010 I never rode Colossus due to how rough it was. I'm not surprised to hear now that the General Public are noticing it if it's got even worse. It's an iconic ride, it would cost Millions upon millions to take it down and change the landscape. It may happen one day, but I can't see it for a long way off. 

Colossus needs to be removed/ heavily renovated asap; it's been getting rougher and rougher year by year; my last ride on it last year was by far the most hideous it's been.

If anything, replace the trains with the new ones (lap bars :wub:) so that it might make for a smoother experience. Colossus isn't actually that bad of a coaster, it's just way too rough to be remotely enjoyable anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

We've recently had to remove some posts on this thread.  As I'm sure many of you understand, during the closed season a lot of work is done across the park, and those who have access to the park during this time aren't allowed to share photos of this work online.  

Due to TPM's close relationship with Thorpe, we don't want to encourage the sharing of these posts and pictures.  We hope you all understand. 

If anyone has anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM myself or any team member.

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

If anyone has anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM myself or any team member.

For a Baron your grammar is pretty naff ;) 

I think another thing to remember as well is you are jeopardising that persons job as they all sign strict media contracts and people have been fired before for forum posting. 

• pluk unpinned this topic