Next Roller Coaster

Tom Stoker

OR, it could be a f'ing bridge that looks pretty; because they wanted to use a pretty image of a road to show the road forward into 2020, oooooooooh.

Spoiler alert: they'll say some stuff. They'll big up some stuff. The next three years will bring nothing. 2020 might if we're lucky, but, I doubt it.

I don't think the pretty picture of a bridge means anything. Having been subjected to Death By Powerpoint on several occasions they are just random templates gathered from the internet, don't go looking for any hidden meanings yet.

That said I really think Thorpe Park needs new entrance. If that comes as part of a new roller coaster (like Cedar Fair have done with Carowinds) then all the better! Or maybe as part of the new hotel, depends on how screwed down those plans are.

TTSP (the group who were given that presentation) have confirmed that nothing was confirmed at the presentation.  The image is just to signify the road to 2020, when the next major investment is due.

It'll likely be a coaster, because Thorpe haven't invested in a coaster since Swarm.  

6 hours ago, Callum_ said:

If I'm honest in my opinion is that Old town is going to close everything in there and the whole area is going to have redevelopment,

and possibly a re-theme with a new rollercoaster in the new area but that is just my theory.

Based on this philosophy I would be more expectant to see Samurai gone, and a SAW retheme (assuming say a 10 year IP, so 2019 it's done etc.) and then a brand new identity with a potential roller coaster in Canada Creek / Old Town - suggestive solely on the basis I would expect SAW (as a coaster) to still be running at 10 years old...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just an idea but if you look at these plans which Thorpe Park did a while ago. If you look at the 2nd coater layout I personally think it would be a dive coaster if it was to be built and here's why.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          If you look at what appears the be the main drop of the coaster, it looks very slimmer to what the swarm's drop looks like on the plans. Obviously, Thorpe park wouldn't build another coaster with a wing over drop so this would have to be a half loop which appears on many dive coasters around the world after the first drop! The rest of the layout is also quite short which is typically seen in dive coaster layouts111123.PNG.eb8d877d76bc76f6a4ac9fc5d29baa32.PNG. Thorpe Park also doesn't really have
any height restrictions in the park so they could easily build this coaster if they wanted to. Just an idea but something I thought I would point out! :)        

All 3 layouts were wing coasters featuring swarms drop and were meant to be a guide to what the park might build. Thorpe does have height limits as set out in the mtdp. They are allowed upto 50m on the island behind swarm. The other sites I believe are restricted to 40m. The mtdp didn't outline any developments of coasters at the loggers site so the height limit on that side of the park is unknown, but looking at saw and Colossus I suspect it would be around 30m. 

The MTDP also gave a guide in how long the coasters would be which were 800m and 950m. Swarm turned out to be the 800m coaster at a length of 750m. 

The mtdp is almost at the end of the time period it outlined and at this point due to the swarms "failure" and Merlin's change in development I suspect that the mtdp is now a very very loose guide which the park is no longer following. 

20 minutes ago, Project LC said:

All 3 layouts were wing coasters featuring swarms drop and were meant to be a guide to what the park might build. Thorpe does have height limits as set out in the mtdp. They are allowed upto 50m on the island behind swarm. The other sites I believe are restricted to 40m. The mtdp didn't outline any developments of coasters at the loggers site so the height limit on that side of the park is unknown, but looking at saw and Colossus I suspect it would be around 30m. 

The MTDP also gave a guide in how long the coasters would be which were 800m and 950m. Swarm turned out to be the 800m coaster at a length of 750m. 

The mtdp is almost at the end of the time period it outlined and at this point due to the swarms "failure" and Merlin's change in development I suspect that the mtdp is now a very very loose guide which the park is no longer following. 

I see! Sorry for the confusion then! :lol:

They can actually go higher than 50 metres on the island behind Swarm. They'll just have to apply it separately compared to what the MTDP approved (which will be irrelevant by then anyway), same with coaster length, they can go longer. The only strict guide Thorpe have from the council is imposing views. A coaster of such height as Stealth or partially Swarm have to have quite an open structure. There's a reason Stealth got a nice new support layout compared to other accelerators, so a woodie if it were to go to 50 metres would have to have minimal points higher than 80/90 feet to satisfy this, or a really open support structure.

But yeah essentially there is no set height restriction anywhere on park, you have the limit from Heathrow of like 500 feet or something, they just have to apply for it ala Stealth and it might be more of an argument other than that agreed in the MTDP.

• 1 month later...

Based on the generic pattern of coaster builds throughout Europe, it might be a safe bet to say that a Woodie could be heading to Thorpe in the future based on mapping out what was where over the last few years:

Saw at Thorpe, Smiler at Alton (probably a bit of a tenuous link)

Raptor at Garaland then Swarm at Thorpe

Krake at Heide then Oblivion Black Hole at Garda

Wickerman at Alton......... Heide already has a Woodie, Chessie and LEGOLAND wouldn't market one, Garda isn't due a new coaster yet...

On 10/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, Stuntman707 said:

It won't happen but I'd like to see a Mack coaster, just something to compete with Icon at BPB. Preferably something on the new xtreme spinning coaster platform like Time Traveller would be amazing.

I'm sure I was told Mack are fed up with Merlin's bulls**t and thus would be reluctant to enter into a large scale project with them at present?

The World needs more Macks however, so I completely agree with you.

19 minutes ago, Mega-Lite said:

I'm sure I was told Mack are fed up with Merlin's bulls**t and thus would be reluctant to enter into a large scale project with them at present?

The World needs more Macks however, so I completely agree with you.

Sounds like rubbish to me imo - as a manufacturer, Mack wouldn't care for what Merlin do.  All they'd really care about is if they'd give them the money to build whatever.

And aren't Mack the European representatives for GCI (one way or another)?  Would be hard to see Wickerman getting the go ahead if there was a very reluctant and awkward middle man involved! 

It’s just something keeps telling them to make dark, abandoned (whether that’s just literal rather than intentional!) miserable and scary themes all the time, yet when I read forums for Thorpe and Towers most people do want more of a balance.

Most people would have been ok with SW8 being a family wooden coaster with an original pirate theme but Merlin are trying to market it as a thrill ride when it’s clearly not. I just can’t see it going as fast as a ride like Wodan for example.

Anyway, it would be nice to see Thorpe do something uplifting for a change if they do get a new coaster. Just something fun and original that fits in with the island theme. 

If Melin insist on depressing theming, they should buy an abandoned industrial estate and open it as a new midway attraction. At least stop trashing the parks.

8 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Sounds like rubbish to me imo - as a manufacturer, Mack wouldn't care for what Merlin do.  All they'd really care about is if they'd give them the money to build whatever.

And aren't Mack the European representatives for GCI (one way or another)?  Would be hard to see Wickerman getting the go ahead if there was a very reluctant and awkward middle man involved! 

The resoning behind Mack's alleged reluctance stems from the way the company have apprently been treated by Merlin in the past, in regards to their current crop of Merlin rides.

So yes while Mack may still sell cloned Legoland mouses and do the inbetween for GCI (if that's correct), they would need convincing to enter into a large scale operation with them.

Take it with the biggest pinch of salt in the World, but I for one can see there being some truth behind it.

8 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

It’s just something keeps telling them to make dark, abandoned (whether that’s just literal rather than intentional!) miserable and scary themes all the time, yet when I read forums for Thorpe and Towers most people do want more of a balance.

Most people would have been ok with SW8 being a family wooden coaster with an original pirate theme but Merlin are trying to market it as a thrill ride when it’s clearly not. I just can’t see it going as fast as a ride like Wodan for example.

Anyway, it would be nice to see Thorpe do something uplifting for a change if they do get a new coaster. Just something fun and original that fits in with the island theme. 

If Melin insist on depressing theming, they should buy an abandoned industrial estate and open it as a new midway attraction. At least stop trashing the parks.

You can take any bit of data, and skew it towards what you actually want...

Merlin use carefully selective questions and answers in order to get what they really want... It's just so they can say "Well people wanted this" with something tangible...

I'm sure some companies don't like working for others, it's like with any industry that...

I saw this at Coasterforce; a guy from Merlin Magic Making posted a photo to Instagram of himself sitting in a prototype Vekoma Flyer

26993507_1703154266417351_7054884260133899985_n.thumb.jpg.e57b113186f948604865edfa29254c3e.jpg

Now of course, it could easily go to another Merlin park there, and I can't necessarily see it going to Thorpe judging by their lineup, but I'm just throwing a bit of speculation out there (speculation doesen't hurt, does it? ;))

It could come to Thorpe but no definite answer, though if it did come it prob be a good addition to the line up with the right theming.  unlike alot of merlins new atractions theres a prototype, one with the kinks being worked out (I'm not sure how complex the mechanism is that turns the seats 90 degrees at the top of the lift hill

but it make a good themed flying coaster (worked best with a enclosed lifthill ending just as the cars tip into position) 

imagine it darting around having near misses with the ground and other theaming, like swarm but the flying position would make it more thrilling.

and it the first flying coaster that wouldnt have a issue with throughput, its 2 across but you can load it as fast as a standard coaster (which the guests exit the same side) unlike most flying where you have to strap in dispatch and then adjust the seats before moving this just needs a normal dispatch.

its a good design, though if thorpe would get it is anyones guess. it could be SW9 for all we know