Next Roller Coaster

Tom Stoker

On 12/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, Mattgwise said:

Does everything need to be marketable to bring people in? I'm pretty sure a refurbished knightmare with no theme would bring in more people than a heavily themed flat ride that was marketable for instance.

Well maybe I’ll add a flat ride or two and maybe theme the area as DARK KINGDOM. How about it?

On 12/31/2018 at 8:26 AM, Hethetheth said:

There's a big difference between not painting it for 21 years and doing no maintenance at all for 6 years. The latter is far more substantial.

But why bring it back anyway? Why resurrect an old ride like that which was second hand when it got to Camelot? It's not particularly marketable to anyone other than a theme park enthusiast. 

You’re right. Maybe a new legacy would carry it out.

I mean, it does depend on what the flat ride is, the theme, etc tbf. But in general, any big coaster will bring in more people than a flat..

I still don't get why anyone would want Thorpe to invest in a 32 year old coaster, that would need a lot of work after being SBNO for 5+ years, when they could spend that money and get a brand new, modern ride which - chances are - would be significantly better?

10 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

I still don't get why anyone would want Thorpe to invest in a 32 year old coaster, that would need a lot of work after being SBNO for 5+ years, when they could spend that money and get a brand new, modern ride which - chances are - would be significantly better?

I don't personally, just merely making a point. It would be a silly decision (and won't happen anyway) when something brand new could be brought to the park. Although I'd love to be proved wrong I Can't see anything new for a few more years now. 

The general expectation was the next coaster / big thing would go on the island behind Swarm. But given how dead Old Town is, it wouldn't surprise me if the park are taking stock and considering a new big thing in that area. It certainly would make sense to focus on pre-existing areas of the park rather than further expansion.

One thing Thorpe aren't short on is space for future developments. They just need the actual developments to fill those spaces... 

I would certainly put bets on the ‘now seemingly’ lifeless Old Town (formerly Canada Creek), even 4/5 years ago the place was full of life compared to now.

Slammer:

SBNO, mothballed, barely touched since 2017, queue only used for Fright Nights 

Canada Creek Railway:

Derelict, track mostly or completely removed, locomotives remain untouched in ‘back of house’ workshop, level crossings redundant, out of use since 2011, areas only used for Fright Nights

Loggers Leap:

‘Clearly’ abandoned and untouched since the final day of 2015 with absolutely no work whatsoever done between then and now,  clearly a cost saving measure, there’s a better chance of the Arena coming back let alone poor Loggers, queue used for Fright Nights (notice the theme)

Most F&B units are also out of action for  all the season apart from maybe Fright Nights. 

This just leaves Rocky Express, Timber Tug, Lumber Jump and The Grill as the only things open in the area, two of which just badly clash and completely ruin the character and atmosphere the original area once had. 

As sad the current state of the area is, I would just rather they completely demolish the whole area and relocate Rocky and the Grill to where Slammer is,so they can build andopen up a brand new area. 

Maybe a GCI/RMC coaster along with one or two family rides and a new restaurant could work. Use something like Red Dead as an IP if they ‘absolutely’ momentarily have to make it marketable. 

52 minutes ago, pluk said:

And Stealth is over 10 years old.

This really is super dumb bandwaggoning.

See any company that wants to be 'relevant' and joins in any meme...

Which is weird because you see the likes of Toverland showing how much the park has evolved over 10 years... But I guess the only addition of any actual worth since 2009 at Thorpe has been Swarm, so not much can be said for the past decade...

The worst part is that this has been their most liked and commented Facebook post since December 27th (a Throwback Thursday to Stealth's construction). Given the amount of social posts they do, it's concerning.

I've said before how I don't like their social media strategy of posting stupid 'funny' things. It just doesn't work. Obviously we'll never know how many people are truly interacting with their posts, but based off pure interaction numbers, it's not good. Comes across as cheap and desperate.

Makes you wonder if they've simply been told "you need to get X number of interactions this year", and they're just putting quantity over quality. And then throwing darts aimlessly until they get lucky and hit the bullseye.

46 minutes ago, Benin said:

Which is weird because you see the likes of Toverland showing how much the park has evolved over 10 years... But I guess the only addition of any actual worth since 2009 at Thorpe has been Swarm, so not much can be said for the past decade...

Someone with more time on their hands than me needs to knock up a suitable Loggers version to post back to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, Mattgwise said:

Does everything need to be marketable to bring people in? I'm pretty sure a refurbished knightmare with no theme would bring in more people than a heavily themed flat ride that was marketable for instance.

No theme, eh? I'll make it themed with a darker/medieval look, like Transylvania, like Flug Der Daemonen (Flight of the Demon) at Heide Park. Besides, I don't mind how many people will attend to the area. I would call Knightmare's area as "Dark Kingdom".

• 1 month later...

And besides, to make Knightmare more appealing, why not have its old theming back in Koba Portopialand in Japan, as BMRX (Or Bavarian Mountain Railroad).

Take the link for example (https://www.google.com/search?q=bmrx+kobe&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE9cqbtO3gAhV7VBUIHUnVDBMQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=907)

And I would make it themed to a dark legend that was long forgotten since the middle ages, maybe Transylvanian/Gothic like perhaps. What do you think of that?