Thorpe Park Staff

Ashley W

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always find it a little sad when it's primarily the ride staff who get all the praise. I can understand that they are they people that we interact with most, whether they are singing along, or just being generally enthusiastic, but what about everyone else? What about the guy or gal sat in their ticket kiosk, or food outlet, who served us with a smile? Or the person who did their best making sure the park wasn't a total tip :PMost of the staff I've encountered have been great, but I must admit that I've seen a few get treated horrendously... I remember back on the AP day last season there was a lady shouting at a girl for not knowing how to get to Saw. The poor girl had obviously just started, and being in an F&B unit, she didn't technically need to know. Yeah, she probably should have had some basic knowledge of the park, but that's still no reason to shout at someone.Ah well, will be nice to see how the new recruits do as soon as the park's back open :)RJ

I think the rides staff are the most miserable of the Thorpe staff actually, sure you get the few good eggs but majority they are the ones sitting in their cabins or chatting amongst themselves. It's the F&B and retail staff that really shine as they always attempt a conversation with you whenever you try and purchase something. Particularly in the shop next to Detonator, they always give a pleasent experience.

Rides staff are generally the most bland of them all I think. Majority of the time, they're only there for the throughputs and keeping queues down, and don't have targets or money incentives to want to talk/be happy/be as good as commercial teams are.Saying that, my idea of why commercial are far better are completely thrown out of the window if you include HB leisure into the equasion.

First of all HB Leisure have nothing to do with Merlin Staff, because theyre not Merlin Staff.Commercial Staff tend to be more chatty because theyre pushed quite hard to meet targets, KPI's, and Mystery Shopper Scores/Incentives. You'll also find that Commercial Staff that are running a unit on their own or in a two tend to speak more to their customers, than that of those in the Mega Store lets say. Purely because Units such as Naughty but Nice or the Donut Shack opposite Vortex, dont see queues and queues of customers, like Amity Fish 'n' Chips or The Stealth Diner, so alot of the time it really is a genuine conversation they try and have with you.But just make sure that Retail staff offer you a bag if you buy two chocolate bars, otherwise they might get fired......... :D:mellow:

Having worked in both F&B and Rides, you have far more time to interact with guests in F&B and there is a far bigger push from management to keep mystery shop scores up. Now that I'm in rides, I do try to interact as much as possible with guests (like high fiveing people on the ride etc) but due to the short amount of time available to interact with guests and management requiring high throughputs, it is harder to interact as much. Plus on the major coasters, the queue will be pretty much constant throughout the day so after a while, it is sometimes a struggle to stay motivated.

First of all HB Leisure have nothing to do with Merlin Staff, because theyre not Merlin Staff.

No way, I didn't realise that they were external!!!!Either way, they still have the same KPIs to meet as rest of commercial, same targets. Just so happens they're **** at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck!I really wanted to work at TP when I was 16/17 and went along to one of their recruitment days after filling out an online app, sat down for a lil chat with one of the guys there. My plan was to live in a Caravan at a nearby site, but it wasn't to be :(5/6 years on I now look through this thread and think I'd like to work there again but I wouldn't be able to run my car and rent somewhere, ah well life goes on.Tom.

There is an extreme difference with Thorpe Staff to say Alton or Chessington Staff, Thorpe Park staff tend to be uni students wanting to make extra cash quickly and think not much more of it, I know some of you are/were Thorpe staff but it’s pretty much true, and at the least it comes across like that when you visit Thorpe, whereas Alton or Chessington, yes they are mainly uni/college BUT they seem to have a level of customer service and pride taken in the job on a daily basis. That’s always the view seen by most customers towards the staff, the main difference I notice, is that Alton staff I could talk to about their job however Thorpe staff seem fixated on either the girls in the queue line or each other!

That’s always the view seen by most customers towards the staff, the main difference I notice, is that Alton staff I could talk to about their job however Thorpe staff seem fixated on either the girls in the queue line or each other!

Towers is a weird one - in that its the biggest local employer in the area - therefore for the majority of people, that job is their fulltime job, have done it for years, and therefore make the utmost of it.The other parks rely heavily on uni/college students as they don't have this unique thing towers has.

I must say I have not seen it that way at Chessington however that is probably because I have only been once or twice each year!I didn't realise that, I always felt Chessington had a better level of customer service overall than of Thorpe.

I've always found Chessington often amongst the worst, simply because most of the time you either talk to the staff and don't get much back; or they're most preoccupied to hurry you past and talk to the kids; because their priorities are the kids.Alton's staff are always bound to be a good bunch. Not only are a lot local, but because they employ from all over the UK and have people move to the staff housing to work for them, and also get more applicants every year than anywhere else, they will always be able to pick out the best of the best.I've had exceptional experiences with Guest Services at Thorpe, but I've also had bad ones with Ride Staff. So all-for-all, I think it's hit and miss. But staff are only as good as they want to be; they all get trained the same! :huh:

• 8 months later...

Thats Mairead. She's like my best mate :P

Not seen that video before; but it definitely gets brownie points for having Gordon in it :P

For the record there's loads of videos like that of staff, Tinie would know ;)

#titansrule

OMG MAIRÉAD? Not ****ting you now, I have a twin sister called Mairéad. Mairéad must just mean awesomeness in Irish...