Thorpe Park Staff

Ashley W

I know this is an old topic but Thorpe if you read this, the Slammer, Colossus and sometimes Quantum OP Jordan needs a raise! He is very nice and gave me a special announcement on my birthday on slammer!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you didn't go to Guest Services / a feedback machine to mention how good he was, I'd recommend sending an email to the park. It'll only take you a few minutes, but an official mention about how good they were is usually very much appreciated and goes a long way! :)

If you didn't go to Guest Services / a feedback become to mention how good he was, I'd recommend sending an email to the park. It'll only take you a few minutes, but an official mention about how good they were is usually very much appreciated and goes a long way! :)

Cheers will do!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

There was a clear shortage of staff at TP yesterday, yes the H & S was covered but some of the operators on Stealth were literally run off their feet, for the whole day doing more than one job.

They had to deal with all sorts, people from all walks of life being generally stupid. The staff were professional and tactful, brilliant in fact, and it was extended hours.

47 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

It was the same during Sunday. one member of staff had been alone doing the batching and all restraints on Samurai the entire day. she was clearly stressed out but still kept a smile and had a brief chat with us.

Most of the ride staff are young and this is a steep learning curve for them, I find it hard to imagine me having handled it.

Considering they are paid the same wages as if you were stood on a shop floor saying "have a nice afternoon" all day long, I firmly believe the rides hosts & operators should be paid more for these highly increasing stress levels, long training hours and constant pressure without much break. There'd be a large increase in quality of work that way too, and staff would be more experienced and positive. But it would cost them thousands extra per year so probably would never be considered.

Shareholder profits come first before staff moral.

I'm constantly amazed at how happy some of them seem to be, yeah there are some arseholes but the majority are good fun, I know I wouldn't put up with some of the crap I've seen them given by Joe M Public or even other staff members.

I've noticed some of the more miserable ones seem to be on concession stands rather than rides, but hey don't worry they got the biggest pay rise in a generation yesterday and will get another one next year /s

They deserve £20 a hour sometimes.

One thing that always interests me is that in many parks abroad there are very few with those in a similar age range as our parks... Young adults are still prevalent, but there's a lot more over 25s in many parks, Dollywood had even older staff as a constant...

Perhaps opening it as an actual career, rather than a summer job would improve staff retention AND give them a goal if they come in with minimal grades or whatever...

Unfortunately menial jobs in the UK are really looked down on...

Dare I mention safe working hours there are limits to how long a hgv driver can drive per day, week ect for saftey.....

yet a Ride op at thorpe park can easily do a 13h day 5-6 days a week in october as there are not early mid and late shifts at TP everyone bare a few break cover work pre-open to an hour after close at fright nights ..... fatigue and stress levels on staff will lead to an accident its waiting to happen....... 

however the park wont employee more staff to resolve this due to training costs ect

That was my point, the younger generation are less likely to complain through fear of loosing their job, whereas old angry farts like me wouldn't think twice about saying "I'm going for my break" and going, then if someone threatened me with the sack saying "see you at the tribunal then".

I may be wrong on this but I also think people under a certain age have less job rights than older people which is another reason why a lot of ride ops look, to me, barely old enough to give birth let alone stand up for themselves against manipulative bosses.

...and of course as you say, shareholders and profits come first.