Thorpe Park Staff

Ashley W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys new to the forum, I worked at Thorpe Park from March to June 2010 but I didn't pass my probation, I was F & B and only worked in that department because I wasn't old enough to work on rides at the time (16) but I really want to return for the 2013 season but would I still be on their records? I applied for the 2011 season and admitted on the application to not passing my probation and understandably didn't get an interview so I want to know if I can get away with saying I have never worked their before or saying I stayed for the whole season and left at the end of my contract. Any answers or suggestions would be brilliant. :)

Dont start going down that road, trust me, it's not pretty. Been there done that, got the blacklist ;)

They'll have records of you working there - they have to legally keep them for 6yrs. They won't keep personal details (such as disciplinaries etc), beyond stated times, usually maximum a year.

Not passing probation is different to being sacked or being blacklisted, and you're older so attitude is likely to have changed. Just state you worked there, and should be okay.

Okay thank you, the records that they have of me working their, will they be that I just worked during the 2010 season or that I only worked a couple of months? I ask this because there is a question that says why I left. Sorry I know its a more detailed question but I need to get It right for when the 2013 season application comes out.

The turnover of staff at Merlin parks must be very high, when I worked in a supermarket, the pay way low and we had a high turn over of staff, but I saw staff who left come back etc. Is some cases people left for another job, it didn't work out and they were back the next week.

When they are paying such a low wage, with temporary/seasonal work, I doubt they will be too fussy, unless you got sacked or are know by the management, then I doubt you will have an issue.

Worst case is they say no, but remember honesty is the best policy, if you lie, they will find out

• 3 weeks later...

If it's relevant to anyone's interests, I hear the Rides areas next year will be split into 6 different areas, each with around 4 or 5 rides. I'm assuming this is in a hope to have the staff more dedicated to making their ride look cleaner and to make management, training and staff-ride allocations easier.

Every park always seemingly does this! Oh spending too much money and not enough variation, make the ride staffing areas bigger.. oh wait, they don't function correctly and there's no accountability, make all staffing areas smaller and more close-nit.

Step in the right direction though, smaller ride teams work far better.

• 4 weeks later...

I always find the staff always have conversations, so it increases queue times. This usually occurs on rides which do not get as busy. eg- 5-10 minute queue. I dont know if you have also realised that at the end of the day, staff announce the queues to be extremely longer than they actually are.

I'll use stealth as an example:

The queueline at the front entrance said it was 90 minutes long. It clearly wasnt because I had stopped at the 5 minutes to go point.

This is also the same at Alton towers:

On Congo River Rapids, the queue was announced that it was 55 Minutes during scarefest. I wanted a picture of me and my family on the ride. I had walked past all the queue line and got straight on. The staff told me that the queue is very long, so we are required to share a boat with another 3 people. I did explain that the queue is 0 minutes. However, they said they looked on CCTV cameras, and can see the queue is 55 minutes.

I agree with Congo, I have queues for ages and ages watching loads of boats go out with 2-3 people on them, then when I get the the station on a few times they have realised the queue is a mile long then expect us to share, I have refused in the past out of principle.

Also I refuse to buy an ORP photo with other people in the boat, I want my friends or family in the photo no some strangers.

Just gotta say, whether on topic to the current conversation or not, some of the staff I've encountered at Thorpe have been awesome. In particular, one ride operator on the Flying Fish who gave my crying Mum lots of amusing 'support' over the intercom, and even burst out singing 'Tro Lo Lo' when he fooled my girlfriend into looking for a red button to lock the restraints down. Best ride I've had on the Fish, I must say :P

You have to think about it may not be staff being lazy etc it could just be them following what they have to do. Unless they specifically state that they didn't realise and stuff then we can't really knock them for it.

In regards to not lowering the queues at the end of the day, yeah, it's due to sheer laziness and wanting to go home ;)

Or less emphasis on updating queue times because there's less people going to ride them etc, not that it's right or anything.

Rapids and flumes always have a big issue with this - if the queue is small, people expect not to share. Second it gets to a busy level (ones acceptable busyness is anothers outrageous queue remember), then noone wants to share when you try and force. Lego are the only park who actively try to fill boats regardless of queue to counter this issue.

As for ORP argument, as long as you don't tell anyone because honestly none of the staff care. Rides staff won't care about an external company, and PicSolve won't care because rapids are their biggest seller of photos in any park anyway. The park is geared towards throughputs and satisfaction on busy times, rather than trying to make every single penny ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...