TPM Presidential Election

MarkC

TPM Mini Election - Who would win our election?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. The election process ends tonight for the new USA President. Who would you vote for?

• Hilary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

I'm a Bernie supporter, but I think Hillary is better than Trump overall.

Trump practically wants to take America back in time, and erase all the progress the country made.

Including defunding Planned Parenthood, making abortions illegal, ect.

Hillary may not be ideal, but she won't be nowhere as near as detrimental as Trump IMO..

I don't think either main candidate has any redeeming qualities, Hillary lies, Trump !ies, Hillary is corrupt, so is Trump, both are terrible people, out of 200 million people these were the best they could come up with?  Utterly embarrassing.

If I were to vote it would be to spoil the ballot (can we have that as an option?) as a spoilt ballot means more than not voting at all.

Sadly Bernie never stood a chance, he should have run as an independent, Hillary's nomination was decided in 2008.

Putting the negatives of each candidate aside, the last time a non-career politician was president he did a pretty dam good job of it, despite being up against the same rhetoric as Trump, so maybe the world should swallow it's pride and give the guy a chance rather than condemned him before he's even been sworn in.

I agree on the face of it 2016 looks to be the year from hell, but in 10 years we may all look back on it with a completely different viewpoint.

True. The optimist in me truly hopes that behind all the bluster and xenophobia of his campaign, that in reality all his hate for Mexicans and Muslims doesn't go anywhere, just another broken promise from someone wanting to be president. 

The French and German government elections next year will be truly interesting if you look at the way our referendum and the US elections went.

Yes, I think it's fair to say Merkel is going to have a tougher job on her hands than what she expected when she invited Syria to the dinner table, I know a few out there and it's safe to say the level of anger towards her is far higher than what is being reported, not just there but places like Finland, Sweden etc. and the more people who feel their own government doesn't put their interests first, the more determined they are to upset the status quo and elect someone who says they will, the Brexit and Trump result will only goes to reinforce this belief.

My friend, who I swear is about 126, in convinced we are already in a precursor stage to ww3 and have been for some time (long before Trump/Brexit), he says he's seen this all before and as nobody ever seems to learn from history, we're destined to repeat it.  Although he seems to think it won't be a boots on the ground type war, more a cyber based one.  

He's even more nuts than I am, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

History is very circular, no doubting that...

Problem is we now have a president elect due to stand trial for child rape, and should anything come of that we could end up with someone who believes homosexuality can be electrocuted out...

Let alone having someone endorsed by the KKK... It's likely we'll see a rise of incidents throughout the states because people will see this as that their beliefs are correct, much like post EU referendum here...

The exit pollsters need to review stuff too, as that's three times now...

It's the silent majority thats what it comes down to. You can do poll after poll after poll, it doesn't really reflect whats truly going on. Social media never truly tells a whole story either. With both shocking results, younger generations are always on the losing side. They make the loudest noise but are in truth, the minority.

You have whole older generations who feel like they being marginalised, that 'their' country is being lost and want to return it to a condition that never really existed. Words like liberal leftie luvvies and elites are thrown out to justify decisions. 

This doesn't feel as damaging as the Brexit stuff, the writing was on the wall for Clinton over the past few weeks.

34 minutes ago, Benin said:

History is very circular , no doubting that...

Problem is we now have a president elect due to stand trial for child rape, and should anything cothat we could end up withth someone who believes homosexuality can be electrocuted out...

Let alone having someone endorsed by the KKK... It's likely we'll see a rise of incidents throughout the states because people will see this as that their beliefs are correct, much like post EU referendum here...

The exit pollsters need to review stuff too, as that's three times now...

That case was dropped, the woman didn't show for a press conference and the claim got withdrawn, it was also a civil case, not criminal one and iirc the third district she had tried to file in as the previous attempts had been thrown out, it's why even the most ardent Clinton supporting press wouldn't touch it, a trained monkey could see it for what it was.

As for the KKK, it's about the same relevance as the BNP backing Brexit.

Of course hate-crimes will increase, but lets not kid ourselves it would have been any different had Clinton won, both campaigns were based on hate in their own unique ways, I mean Clinton labelled half of America as deplorable, that was never going to end well regardless of who won.  I just hope all the Hollywood scum that threatened to leave if Trump was elected stand by their word and piss off to some deserted Island in the Pacific instead of chickening out like Jamie Oliver did post Brexit.

I find that it is mainly straight white men who go "oh Trump's not that bad."

Imagine being a Muslim person in the States scared because they are now facing an even larger amount of discrimination.

Imagine being a Hispanic kid who's terrified that he or she is going to be deported.

Imagine being a gay person who is now petrified of going outside in fear of being assaulted sexually, verbally or physically.

Imagine being a closeted gay or trans person who now never wants to come out because they could go to government supported conversion camps where they are dehumanised.

Sometimes you have to put yourself in other people's shoes and vote for what's best for everyone, not just you.

It's been such a shame to see so much hatred between two opposing views over the last few months. In the past, such events have got to the point of being classed as "heated", but the fact that mass acts of violence (both physically and verbally) have been committed in arguments over who supports who, is very worrying.

It seems that people tend to forget that we're all part of one single race. And that's the human race. We are all members of one body, and we must all care and have respect for one another in order to see anything close to "peace". I'm not an American citizen, however this is a plead to mankind; respect each other, don't bring ideology, race, gender or belief systems into it. We all bleed the same blood. Individualism is the way forward.