Favourite Merlin Dungeon

Martin Doyle

Recently I visited Warwick Castle and with it The Castle Dungeon which now leaves me only needing to visit York to complete the full set of UK Dungeons and as I left, I was asked what my favourite of the Dungeons is. So I'm going to ask you all your opinions as to what your favourite one is!! 

For me its

1st Edinburgh

2nd London

3rd Blackpool

4th Warwick Castle

I will squeeze York into that list if I ever get round to it!!

It's they're, not there ;)

Moving swiftly on from the troll in the dungeon (see what I did there ;) )...

Many (not sure if it's all) of the Dungeons attractions actually have scenes based on local history, London of course being a good example, and Blackpool. I've not been to any of the others, but apparently the Warwick one is one of the scariest, and it's very dark (as in the lighting) compared to the others, although it's not as long as London. 

I sort of miss Tooley Street, and the rumble of the trains above the old arches :D But the queueing system/lack of time slots meant a painstakingly long queue outside, and the Jack The Ripper scenes dragged on for SO long and it was so hot in there, it was the part I always hated. Whereas now, it's probably my favourite part!

Unfortunately I can't remember much about Blackpool, as I've only done it once and that was two years ago :P I remember something about vikings, and a scene with witches I think? 

So I'd say:

1) The London Dungeons

2) The old London Dungeons

3) Blackpool

I've done all but Edinburgh in the UK (May be getting that cred before new year), Although never did Tooley Street. Never done any Abroad but may get the Amsterdam one under my belt next year

Here's the order I would put them in:

1) York Dungeons

2) Castle Dungeons

3) London Dungeons

4) Blackpool Dungeons

As you can tell I prefer the more Classic Dungeons, that don't have rides as I feel they detract from the atmosphere.

York Dungeons is great since it's forced refurb, Love the final witch burning scene.

Castle Dungeons has a great atmosphere, in an actual Castle, very small spaces and provides a beautiful 360 experience unlike some of the other ones that have a black roof but feels a bit old due to not being able to change it up due to lack of space.

London Dungeons feels great and love the boat ride, bit meh with the drop tower.

Blackpool dungeons feels a bit meh with the drop tower witch hanging, just doesn't feel that immersive.

The classic London Dungeon had many years of layering, style changes and fiddling about, so was a bit of a chaotic mess that had outgrown its space. It used to be quite a cool classy and full on gloomy experience, and entertaining. It went a lot further than most 'haunted' attractions in the UK into the plain freaky.

The more branded it got with scenes disappearing to make way for gimmicks and shoehorned attractions it was a bit awkward. The new one however is thin on the ground, just doesn't have the substance and is very Merlinesque if that's a term now. It can be fun but it feels like a typical London tourist trap brand basically, very different from how the whole thing started and does not suit the original location like it used to at all. Rented space in County Hall compared to old, genuinly horrific arches deep under the station makes for a very different atmosphere!

This is why the Castle one, though simpler, is so surpringly good as uses the space really well. Would be interested to visit Edinburgh dungeon as it too was an original one, also changed quite a lot though properly.

• 2 weeks later...