Fright Nights 2017

L7123456

13 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

No way would they have commissioned IMAScore, to make a track especially for The Big Top for a single season

Plus it was really well received last year, and is still a relatively new attraction, wouldn't make sense removing it. 

In the grand scheme of running an event like Fright Nights, id expect the money paid to IMAScore wouldn't be a huge factor on deciding if a maze was to stay / leave.

The fact that it was there and now has been removed would suggest to me its return isn't certain. 

On 6/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, mrmatt said:

117 days till fright nights begin. Already on the countdown. I wonder when they will start revealing what's in this years line up 

They did it during the summer last year I think, July/August time. Oddly enough it was on their holidays website before the main website.

Anybody else on park today? Walked past saw alive and saw loads of staff around the entrance and exit but don't really know what they were doing. Also I don't know why but the old MBV soundtrack played in the vortex queueline when I rode at around 13:30 which was cool but weird. Am I the only one who isn't feeling the hype for fright nights early this year?

On 25/06/2017 at 0:15 PM, Jack said:

I now know what tulleys are doing this year after popping down to pick some strawberries today, I have to say I now could not care less about fright nights this year if they get the permission from the neighbouring farm owners!!!!

Haha it's always worth ditching Fright Nights for Tulley's. Tulley's is one of the best scare events in the UK outside of Scare Kingdom, Screamland and Fear at Avon Valley. From what I remember seeing ScareTour post on Facebook there's... 

'At least 1 maze will leave to be replaced
1 will get a complete makeover
2 will get extended
Over 20% more actors will be added across the event, and 
something unique looks set to arrive from Europe'

All of which sounds extremely exciting, especially if that means what I think it does! 

Anyway back on topic, yeah I can't really find any excitement for Fright Nights either. Sure the actors are fantastic, but the attraction design is pretty substandard. I have a feeling they're going to try and revamp the event after two years of diabolical reviews, but I am still skeptical. I am assuming whatever IP they get will be somewhat outated and will be an IP that's declining in popularity. I can also pretty safely say that after seeing what they did with the Lionsgate IPs, they'll completely miss the point of the IP and pigeonhole it into a generic scare attraction. Please Thorpe, prove me wrong! 

Tulleys is a complete different situation to Thorpe in that Tulleys is pretty much strong and fresh every year- especially last year, despite my early dislike of Coven, I gotta admit it bleeded creativity, and the attraction showed that Tulleys are still full of ideas.

Thorpe on the other hand has kinda been hit/miss with their attractions, and quite a lot of there attractions have gotten stale..

Okay the acting at Thorpe is pretty great, but most of their mazes have a lack of actors anyway, and add the stacking/crowded nature their attractions are put under make most of Thorpe's attractions sub-par.

I think Thorpe need to give Fright Nights a much needed kick up the arse soon, look at what they did with Scarefest- they created some of the best mazes in the industry, and made Scarefest one of the best events in the country as of now.

Anyway I hope they attempt to make Fright Nights a solid event this year, as of recent years, it seems the atmosphere of the park has been slipping.

Though Big Top last year definitely showed Thorpe can give us quality, lets hope they can make all of their attractions like that, and not just 1-2 of them..

100% going to Tulley's again this year - purely just to meet the popcorn girls again haha :wub:

Was very impressed last year, and that was on the preview night, so assume it would have been even better once the actors had got used to the new mazes etc. Hopefully Hellements goes this year as that was laughable, that was my only negative. The size/length of The Colony is something that Thorpe can unfortunately only ever dream of.

15 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

100% going to Tulley's again this year - purely just to meet the popcorn girls again haha :wub:

Was very impressed last year, and that was on the preview night, so assume it would have been even better once the actors had got used to the new mazes etc. Hopefully Hellements goes this year as that was laughable, that was my only negative. The size/length of The Colony is something that Thorpe can unfortunately only ever dream of.

I've only been once (2013) and am bloody determined to go this year, hopefully on preview night as it will be cheaper and quieter! :D My question is...do they still have a maze that is out in a cornfield? I know they change the mazes every so often but I'm hoping they still use it! That was flippin' creepy wondering around a pitch black, silent field :o 

Oh and to stay on topic...Thorpe, woo, etc. 

Preview Night is the cheapest night :)

The Colony went into the cornfields I think but there were random fires, actors etc. so maybe it was that maze that had been adapted? The sheer size and length of the mazes astounded me like I say! 100% going again this year.

Also to keep on topic: How long until SAW Alive gets binned? :P And also - FN's starting on 29th September this year now :o 

I'm pretty certain the IP will be Universal. The queue line TV's have recently been showing trailers for Despicable Me 3, which was created by Universal.

Thorpe advertised the Transformers Tour coming this summer in their post a little while ago. Am I right in saying that Universal also have the rights to Transformers?

Also, this Halloween comes home hashtag... reference to the tagline from Halloween? Which Universal also have the rights to...

All the evidence seems to be adding up, or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

So excited for fright nights this year. I say it every year. This is my 11th year at fright nights. They need to add extra mazes to sort out this crowd situation though have like 7 mazes and a couple of scare zones that would be ideal. ??

Still loyal although this year trying a few others like; fear at Avon valley, frightmare, dr frights and carnevil. Bit nervous as never tried anything else than fright nights. ?

4 hours ago, mrmatt said:

So excited for fright nights this year. I say it every year. This is my 11th year at fright nights. They need to add extra mazes to sort out this crowd situation though have like 7 mazes and a couple of scare zones that would be ideal. ??

Still loyal although this year trying a few others like; fear at Avon valley, frightmare, dr frights and carnevil. Bit nervous as never tried anything else than fright nights. ?

Great selection of events there! Never done Carnevil, but done all the others. Frightmare I thought was so so, not the best but had some really cool parts to it. Dr Frights was ridiculously good fun, very different to anything out there. It's rough around the edges (so don't go expecting the worlds most elaborate theming) but wow do their actors and concepts go the extra mile to make it amazing. It's like the grindhouse cinema of the scare industry. And Fear at Avon Valley... don't even get me started... Absolutely incredible. Easily my favourite event last year. Expect the unexpected, they like taking cliche themes and turning them on their head. You'll love it! If you're looking at trying other places than Thorpe, may I also suggest Tulleys Shocktoberfest, The Howl, Hide and Shirek, Screamfest Burton (near alton), Screamland and Scare Kingdom.

But anyway, back to Fright Nights! I am very interested to see what happens this year. The event has been on a steady decline in quality, so they really need to pull this year out of the bag. As I have said before and will say again, Big Top 2016 was a step in the right direction, but there are still major issues. 

1. Design - The maze design of Thorpe's attractions seems slapped together. How they thought a long dark tunnel with no theming or interactivity would be interesting is beyond me. Likewise, how they overlooked the glaring issue of light leaking into the Big Top tent is also beyond me. 
  2. Capacity - The GP love Fright Nights, I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, because apparently Thorpe Park hasn't with it's lack of care that queues reach 3hrs long at peak times. I think it's about time they introduced a charge like Alton. Perhaps have one signature maze like Alton used to have and have that free. 
  3. Throughput - Cabin in the Woods, thank god that's gone! Please may we never see bunching as bad as this ever again in a scare attraction.
  4. IP's Being Misused - IP's can be cool, sure they're not entirely my thing, but HHN seems to do a good job with them. I know, I know, Thorpe have no way near that budget, but they don't need to. Their past attempts have clearly ignored the strengths of each franchise. Look at Cabin in the Woods, most of the time you would just encounter zombies and the mythical monsters in the film would be a mere fantasy. 
  5. Understaffing - If you have scripted scares, please ensure you have enough actors to fill in for the scares... I am looking at you Big Top. 

I could go on, and on, and on. But I think I have covered the most important things. I want to see Fright Nights succeed so bad. I really do. But as it was in 2016, I am nervous to say the least. Here's hoping the new guy brings a breath of fresh life into the event.

(Waiting for the inevitable announcement of some crappy IP that will bore me to tears due to it's current decline in popularity) Prove me wrong Thorpe, prove me wrong. 

A solid lineup for this years event in my opinion:

big top - as it was last year, a few more actors in the strobe section.

saw alive - as good as it has been the last 2 years with as many or more actors.

Containment - not an up charge attraction but just a first come first serve booking system.

Blair witch - with a sountrack, more actors, and an indoor section along the path after the shed along by infernos station.

platform 15 - give this the treatment the big top got and we'll be in for a treat, in the tunnel I was expecting an audio, crawling sections, squeeze tunnels and definitely expected to get split up, if all of this happens in the tunnel as well as more actors it will be great. Oh and a good finalé please.

new ip - the big new 5 star maze should be good this year if they pull it off.

the park should also do an actual "scare zone" not just an outdoor maze with a 2 hour queue and call it a scare zone.

• Marc pinned this topic
  • JoshC. unpinned this topic