Fright Nights 2017

L7123456

1 hour ago, ThemeParkEwan said:

This year is gonna be my first fright nights and probably my only one (because of how far I live away from thorpe) so I might only end up doing a couple of mazes because I also want to ride the coasters at night. So which mazes are worth doing? (I get that a few of them aren't coming back this year but I mean out of the ones that we know about like saw alive) and also does anyone have an idea of how busy saturday 7th will be? only day I can really go

The 7th will probably be fairly quiet- as its fairly early on in the event, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Obviously expect to queue for an hour for some of the mazes, but you should fine compared to the 3 hour+ queues and craziness of the October Half Term..

And I highly recommend Big Top if it returns this year- it really stood out as the star of the show for me last year, though obviously that could change, for all I know it could be a pile of bo**ocks this year :lol:

I guess also prioritise the new attraction coming this year- it seems its gonna be something super cool, but again, this is pure speculation.

Anyway it probably won't be too busy on the 7th anyway as its so early in the season, so you might be able to get all mazes and rides done anyway :)

4 hours ago, ThemeParkEwan said:

This year is gonna be my first fright nights and probably my only one (because of how far I live away from thorpe) so I might only end up doing a couple of mazes because I also want to ride the coasters at night. So which mazes are worth doing? (I get that a few of them aren't coming back this year but I mean out of the ones that we know about like saw alive) and also does anyone have an idea of how busy saturday 7th will be? only day I can really go

Dont worry about having to fit in the coasters in the dark, get every maze done first and then the rides, as you are visiting so early into the event I find that from 9pm onwards the coasters are all always almost walk on, the only one that can get a queue in the dark is Colossus but who wants to do that anyway?! However if you visit after the first 2 weekends expect 2 hour+ queues until closing

I've also not seen the walking dead (mainly as I'm a huge chicken), watched halfway through the first episode then had to turn it off. Can do any maze, but films/tv shows are too much for me. So I'll be doing it without context but expecting big things!

Any idea when they'll confirm what the 'global horror phenomenon' is? Just hoping its not going to be done as a 'scare zone' haha.

I must be one of the few people that had a very average run through of the big top last year, wasn't that great for me. Not if I compare it to e.g. the chop shop at Tulleys. Hoping with the potential walking dead maze that fright nights will be awesome this year.

ha, that's a neat little video.  Nice to see them building hype up - should be remembered that a large proportion of the general public still would have no idea that Cabin wasn't returning.  

I still wished they'd just announced the IP already, since if it is what all the clues point to, it'd be a big enough draw and the park could spin it enough to build hype in it's own regard for the next few weeks.  But I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Does anyone recognise the music used in that video btw?  Is it standard creepy stock audio?  Related to any particular IP?  Would be nice if we could get another FN IMA Score soundtrack!

45 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Am I the only one who cringes over the whole "abandoned" thing? Like isn't the cabin meant to be abandoned in the film anyway?

Nope - as I understood it, the Cabin was meant to be a holiday cabin used for secluded getaways.  I believe in context of the film, it was owned by one of the main character's (non-existent) cousin?

32 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Nope - as I understood it, the Cabin was meant to be a holiday cabin used for secluded getaways.  I believe in context of the film, it was owned by one of the main character's (non-existent) cousin?

Minor spoilers for CITW below

Yup, it's one of those films that everything starts off being normal and then the characters begin to discover everything isn't as it seems.

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

Does anyone recognise the music used in that video btw?  Is it standard creepy stock audio?  Related to any particular IP?  Would be nice if we could get another FN IMA Score soundtrack!

I've been looking around for the music but I haven't found it yet. It sounds very much like music from the stock music site Thorpe get some of their music. 

I'd love IMA to do a Fright Nights themed bridge soundtrack, much like Towers have on Towers Street at SF. It seems like something they'd do so I wouldn't be surprised if we did get one! 

On 3 August 2017 at 11:37 PM, EpicSmatty said:

Minor spoilers for CITW below

Reveal hidden contents

Yup, it's one of those films that everything starts off being normal and then the characters begin to discover everything isn't as it seems.

Just to follow up on that..

Spoiler

Cabin In The Woods literally made no sense whatsoever. The maze made more sense as a story; and even then if you try and compare it to the film it was kind of clutching at straws - even as a half decent maze experience.

Aside from that; I'm still not overly fussed that Cabin is gone. It was fun at first, but it just was never the 'best'. I didn't experience Fright Nights until 2015 simply because I didn't think I'd like it; so I never did 'Classic Fright Nights' but IMO I much preferred Studio 13 and the two yeas of Big Top over the Lionsgate mazes. I still remember SAW: Alive being my first maze ever in 2015 and walking out thinking it was crap...

I also still don't believe that this video means The Walking Dead is going into Cabin. I still feel very much that this year The Walking Dead is the 'overlay' of Fright Nights. We've had the Director, we've had the Ringleader... this year its, The Walking Dead. I've never seen it so I'm not too sure how it's going to work but from my limited understanding its something that would make more sense as an outdoor experience, even if its roaming? I can imagine it now, roaming actors, theming, announcements of contamination and zombies and all that crap over the park - oooh scary?!

And..

Cabin in the Woods would fit an American Horror Story attraction too well for that to be missed. I'm still holding my breath against that rumour. I haven't even renewed my MAP and I don't think I will unless that comes to fruition, as I'd only likely visit FN's once.

I think Cabin in 2013 and 2014 felt fun and innovative, as well as having some nice scares and some variety in the costumes.

Then 2015 hit, we got Sub Species, a IMO superior free flow maze, and the maze seemed to be a little short of actors, and all costumes were either a Zombie or a facility worker.

I'm kinda glad Thorpe decided to scrap it, it had a good run, but it was its time to go.

57 minutes ago, Flipper said:

Cabin in the Woods would fit an American Horror Story attraction too well for that to be missed. I'm still holding my breath against that rumour. I haven't even renewed my MAP and I don't think I will unless that comes to fruition, as I'd only likely visit FN's once.

If a AHS attraction replaced Cabin, I think I would scream of excitement, its kinda unfortunate that it probably won't happen.

Plus AHS isn't really that big over here right? It would be awesome though, and it would justify my disgusting binging of it on Netflix :lol:

On 04/08/2017 at 1:17 AM, MilesK said:

I'd love IMA to do a Fright Nights themed bridge soundtrack, much like Towers have on Towers Street at SF. It seems like something they'd do so I wouldn't be surprised if we did get one! 

I hope they do, I have faith in IMAscore after Big Top, as even 'til this day, I still hum the melody of The Big Top's Theme, so a theme or two around the main park would be brilliant.

Though watch IMAscore make a kick-ass soundtrack for the bridge, and then not release it ;):o

if ahs was to happen, what season do you think they would do? Or do you think they would do multiple?:

in in my opinion it wouldn't be freakshow or the asylum because they have the big top and they have previously had the asylum (although having to do with ahs asylum). I think murder house or coven would work really well, but I specifically would really love to see murder house: just imagine a crazy strobe finale in the basement like in one of the first episodes. I think I'd be in love!

I have to say last year, Big Top was without a doubt my favourite maze. I hope they have something as good as that this year at least. Had me in so many different states; mystery, excitement, disorientation, fear, and fun. Platform 15 on the other hand, was way too much suspense with the only real scare at the end of a very long trek around the old railway.

I'm hoping for some better zombie themed mazes with more thrills and less suspense. I wonder if we will see any other Universal / Comcast IP themes too? I'd really like to see Thorpe have a Resident Evil theme too at some point.

Big top is ****, just sayin. It was amazing the first year but the new tent is terrible, it was so much better split into 3 and felt much more like a journey. Cabin always got me a little bit on edge, and I always thought (unpopularly) that MBV was up there with it too. Nothing is yet to terrify me quite as much as trick or treat wood though.

Big top is ****, just sayin. It was amazing the first year but the new tent is terrible, it was so much better split into 3 and felt much more like a journey. Cabin always got me a little bit on edge, and I always thought (unpopularly) that MBV was up there with it too. Nothing is yet to terrify me quite as much as trick or treat wood though.
Have to go the other way round, last year's Big Top was really good... when it was split it wasn't scary at all, dragged out and it just didn't work. Having it in one big strobe filled tent last year made it the best maze

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm on the bridge with this one.... if the original big top was more like what we had last year then great. I think visually the attraction and theme externally was far superior in its first year. Accepted there were issues between tents but that could have easily been resolved with small tunnels ect between them like in platform.

I hate to say it but I didnt have the vest expierences on last years big top

I do to have admit, and this gonna be a little controversial, but I actually think Thorpe's mazes actually work a lot better in Conga Lines than free flow.

In this I have to say as much as I loved Big Top last year, group stacking did happen a few times, and the attraction would of been even better if it weren't for the stupid stacking.

Cabin was a even worse of a case with that too, and I'm starting to think that the crowds that Thorpe get don't really lend itself to a great working free flow maze.

I do have to say I do prefer 2016's Big Top over 2015's though, as the 2015 version just lacked much flow, and the breaks between tents kinda broke the atmosphere of the maze.

Plus the 2015 version felt rushed IMO, and the scares were a little meh.

Anyway on to this year, its pretty much confirmed Walking Dead/The new IP will replace Cabin, and Platform, Saw, and Big Top will return.

Though I think Containment and Blair are really intriguing right now, as Containment seems to be having a ton of work done, and Blair still has its shed up, even though the main attraction probably won't return either unless its relocated.

I think I may be the only one who thinks this, but in my opinion saw is always the most hands on/intense maze at fright nights, and 99% of the time is the scariest and most jumpy as well. I know a lot of you on these forums always slate saw alive and will think I'm a fool for saying this, but for the past 3 years it genuinely has been the scariest maze. Yes big top and cabin were more enjoyable, but scares wise were not anywhere near, if I don't do saw on a visit to fright nights I usually come home with the event failing to scare me. 

6 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I do to have admit, and this gonna be a little controversial, but I actually think Thorpe's mazes actually work a lot better in Conga Lines than free flow.

I agree with this 100 percent. With the old school Congo line mazes, it felt like if the actors targeted the middle of the line then the whole group would always jump (asylum and hellgate being the best two for this) whereas with the free flow mazes, I have gone through without actors interacting with me one time so that's why I myself think Congo line mazes suit thorpe better than what free flow does.

• Marc pinned this topic
  • JoshC. unpinned this topic